1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Stuff Styleforvm overrates

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mussel, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Really? I think, particularly on sale, the Made in Italy Polo stuff represents a solid value. In my experience, they're one of the few RTW brands whose trousers routinely have forward pleats.

I'm not saying it's bad... just saying it's overrated. It seems to have taken on mythical status here on SF... a mythical status that has not squared up with my personal experiences.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Sleeve pitch
    Shell cordovan
    Knit ties
    DWR cookie-cutter interior design
    Brigg umbrellas
    2" cuffs
    "Classic" style
    High-waisted trousers with braces
    Stowa Antea
    Aviator shades
    RM Williams (MC)
    Allen Edmonds (MC and SW&D)
    Pauls Smith shoes (SW&D)
    Common Projects (SW&D)
    "Truly free" markets

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Proper "fit"
    Quality
    Value

4. repressedm

repressedm Senior member

This is too easy. First, there's way too much attention to fit, and especially the degree to which fit is more important than quality or just sporting a storied label.

Styleforum also overrates photography skills. Natural light, clean your mirror, tripod, BAH HUMBUG. You can't see the details? Use your imagination for crissakes.

Styleforum also overrates buying on discount. You want the item, pay full retail I say.

Finally, Styleforum overrates wit. This is not a comedy forum. Everyone tries way too hard to be funny. People should tell it like is and leave well enough alone.

At first I was going to post F--- but I have decided you deserve A+++++

5. repressedm

repressedm Senior member

Proper "fit"
    Quality
    Value

lol

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Construction.

7. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

This is too easy. First, there's way too much attention to fit, and especially the degree to which fit is more important than quality or just sporting a storied label.
    [​IMG] I think the opposite is true. If you wear a $10K Brioni suit that doesn't fit, it looks like you are wearing someone else's suit. I'd rather go to Target and have it fit like a glove. Allen Edmonds I could never wear either because they are too old-fashioned looking. Love knit ties though.

1 person likes this.
  8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Sounds like Dewey wants AAAC.

I think you missed it.

9. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I won't mention any names for fear of starting a flame war, but I think there are a few watch brands that get blown a little out of proportion here.

10. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I won't mention any names for fear of starting a flame war, but I think there are a few watch brands that get blown a little out of proportion here.

+10000.

I will, though. Panerai comes to mind, of course.

Followed by other watches whose functionality could be had from $50 quartz watches with more reliability and better quality.

11. repressedm

repressedm Senior member

dudes i think dewey was being sarcastic

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cordovan as bad weather footwear. So I followed the SF advice and wear my cordovan during bad weather and got water marks all over. It took a year and half and numerous polishes for the water marks to fade. I don't why so many members suggest cordovan as bad weather attire.

I don't know what to tell you. This never happens to me. I have walked through snow and slush more than once wearing shell boots and never had a problem. Calf soaks through almost instantly, and gets easily stained from the salt they spread on the streets. Cordovan does not. At least, mine has not.

IMO, overall, Marinella has a higher taste level than any other maker. H&B are well made, and many of them are nice, but many are real clunkers. Marinella are almost uniformly nice, if somewhat dull (but I like dull ties).

Marinella also uses a great lining, a bit thinner and less spongy. And the shape is cut differently. Marinella's shape is that Italian "bottle" shape that Nicky also does. H&B -- like all English ties -- are cut more like a straight-sided triangle.

1 person likes this.
  13. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

Proper "fit" Quality Value
    LOL +1 to Manton's response.

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

There is an impressive difference between those that post on clothing forums and those who read only. Those who post trending towards eclectic and sometimes anachronistic tastes.

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

17. Thurston

Thurston Senior member

+10000.

I will, though. Panerai comes to mind, of course.

Followed by other watches whose functionality could be had from $50 quartz watches with more reliability and better quality.

That means all mechanical watches.

18. whacked

whacked Senior member

[​IMG]

This is styleforum, for heaven's sake.

19. Modernist

Modernist Senior member

(handstitched) buttonholes and (thick MoP) buttons

20. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

Let's add credibility to the list. Styleforum is too gullible.