• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Studio Apartment Decoration/Setup

alaaro

Reaction score
My GF bought a studio condo and is looking for ways to decorate it, ways to set up furniture, etc-in order to maximize space, and try to keep the "living areas" and "sleeping areas" separated.

I was looking for websites with ideas on how to set up the place, methods, examples, etc. Anyone have any thoughts? We have already thought about "the folding screen", but are putting that idea on hold. Nice ones are too expensive, cheap ones don't look like they'd hold up.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Reaction score
Tough to say without a floorplan.

I have two friends with efficiencies, one that was done well, the other is not a good example of separating living spaces.

The better example of the two, separated the sleeping area from the living room by simply having the couch that faced the TV on one end of the room, be infront of the bed on the other side of the room. Sorry if I'm unclear.

Eric

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A couple book cases can cordon off the sleeping area nicely, or you could use an entertainment center to do the same, the drawback of course is that then you wouldn't be able to watch TV in bed (unless you had two)

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for inexpensive solutions, or something more spendy? How large of a space is it? There are recent entertainment units that have 360 degree swivels for a flat panel or DLP/LCD projector TV, very useful for this use but not practical if you don't have the coin for that kind of TV. West Elm has some relatively inexpensive bookcases that would work well, Design Within Reach has some modular wall-mountable shelving that might work well also. Â Here's some of the DWR stuff:
zm_2989_2.jpg

alaaro

Reaction score
those pass thru shelves are a good idea as a separator.

The place is like 600 or so sq ft. Basically a long rectangle.

johnw86

Reaction score
The better example of the two, separated the sleeping area from the living room by simply having the couch that faced the TV on one end of the room, be infront of the bed on the other side of the room.  Sorry if I'm unclear.

Eric
Do you mean have the headboard of the bed against the back of the couch? I've often thought that would be a good way to separate living/sleeping spaces without visually blocking the space.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a number of books on the topic. The best one I've seen shows apartments of increasing square feet, with the owners solutions to the space crunch. I would suggest consulting these, if only in-store, before buying ANY future if possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads