• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Strand and Cambridge return to AE

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 2/3 positive the actual shoe doesn't look 1/2 as good.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
OK... but why no Ds? I remember the Bancroft was also not available in a D. Is it some European thing?

Euro and UK/Aussie have wider normal width (aka F) such that the normal D width in the USA would be a UK E and normal EUR width (aka F) is EE. This is a much more comfortable fitting for most people in the world. Maybe USA folks have narrower feet. The popularity of A and AA fittings in the USA is surprising to us.

Vault

Reaction score
How is Cambridge different from McClain?Except maybe it's on a different last,but overall,I don't see a lot of difference.Also,it's only offered in shell and suede,no calf skin?
Although,I must admit that I am very tempted by the suede,but not at that price.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The following makers also have medium width fittings that are as narrow as or narrower than anything from AE:

Ferragamo
Edward Green
G&G
Vass
Trickers

The Church's Royal range are also made on a rather narrow last - makes AEs seem generous by comparison.

BTW, one model I once saw that I think AE should revive is the Fifth Avenue. This appeared to be a punch cap version of the Park Avenue. It makes me wonder if there was once a whole range of models named after streets in New York.

AE would be wise to look through its catalogue of patterns dating back to the 1930s and reviving old classics. This is much preferable to the silly fashion forward models it has been meddling with of late.

Vault

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
AE would be wise to look through its catalogue of patterns dating back to the 1930s and reviving old classics. This is much preferable to the silly fashion forward models it has been meddling with of late.

+1,they have much better models that have been discontinued.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My shirtmaker told me that Acorn once tried making a range of fashion forward shirtings. The buyers of Acorn shirtings preferred classical and understated styles with the result that the experiment was a dismal fiasco. Acorn retreated to offering styles that were its traditional strength and stronghold after just one season. There is more than a little lesson in this for Allen Edmonds.

I also wish they would make a range of American made shoes that was equal to their old best work. Their current stuff is not as good as it used to be. The older shoes had a more neatly and closely trimmed sole with wheeling. They have definitely declined in quality.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
BTW, one model I once saw that I think AE should revive is the Fifth Avenue. This appeared to be a punch cap version of the Park Avenue.

Yes, it's a great model. I have two pairs, one in brown the other in burgundy, although the latter in corrected grain. They're still nice, though. And speaking to the width issue, these are 9.5B:

p1040997oc4.jpg

p1050002xv7.jpg

p1050008cq5.jpg

I just came across a wholecut model called the Austin. A search revealed Big Bris has a pair who discovered that they were discontinued in 1986. A thread on great AE models might be worthwhile.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AlanC: you can very clearly see the wheeling around the soles. You never see that any more on current models. The finishing overall seems more refined. I think you will find that the stitching was also much finer than on current models too. In fact, as fine as on current Edward Greens.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
I'm 2/3 positive the actual shoe doesn't look 1/2 as good.

Actually, the Strand (and the Cambridge) is a pretty nice looking shoe IRL. Brigbris has some pictures of his black Strands in this thread:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...and#post968378

EDIT: Better Strand picture here.

Originally Posted by Vault
How is Cambridge different from McClain?Except maybe it's on a different last,but overall,I don't see a lot of difference.Also,it's only offered in shell and suede,no calf skin?
Although,I must admit that I am very tempted by the suede,but not at that price.

The Cambridge is a real classically designed wingtip. If you look at the pattern of the seams, the differences should be obvious. I'd take a picture of my cambridges for comparison, but I don't have them handy. The Cambridge is by far the better shoe.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The McClain is a horrendous "Triple Wing" design. It borders on the dandy.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fyi AE wrote me back today and stated that they will be offering D widths shortly for both the cambridge and the strand.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Henry Boogers
Here are my Strands in pebble grain for those debating the real life appearance:

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture029.jpg

When I purchased them they had been laying around for a while:

100600009025_01_01.jpg

This was my first pair of dress shoes...got them at a tent sale in Port Washington, WI back in '91. Mine are this same color...almost orange. I think it's a very good looking shoe, and quite comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads