• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

straight razor & barber shop risk?

ozymandias

Reaction score
Did you ever have your barber use a straight edge razor on you? I was just wondering about the risk associated with it. Isn't there a chance of various diseases? Sure he might sterilize it but it is not 100% guarantee on safety. There is a reason why multi-use syringes aren't used anymore.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ozymandias
Did you ever have your barber use a straight edge razor on you? I was just wondering about the risk associated with it. Isn't there a chance of various diseases? Sure he might sterilize it but it is not 100% guarantee on safety. There is a reason why multi-use syringes aren't used anymore.

Generally, barbershops in the US use straight razors with disposable blades: Dovo shavettes, and Feather Artist clubs. In Europe and other areas I've seen they use the normal straights, but sanitization methods vary.

However, these practices are common for fixed-blade razors everywhere, as best I can tell:
For each new patron, the razors are stopped before shaving. Generally that alone should kill some/most pathogens, iirc.
They tend to shave with either soaps or creams...although I have seen some who just use oil.
A good barber shouldn't cut you anyway, but nicks and scrapes happen. Generally a barber lets it bleed as he finishes, unless it's quite a bad cut.
Aftershave tends to be alcohol-based to kill off anything that might have seeped in anyway.

Is there a risk? sure. Are we talking a big risk? IMHO, no.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am always worried that the barber will end up to be someone who knows someone who wants me dead...

You know, just a quick slip of the razor and then, "ooops. Sorry sucker!"

dv3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP: You are a little too paranoid. The risks do exist but they are very, very small. You can call ahead and see if they use disposable blades but you should be just fine.

Although it is easy for a beginner to slice his own face out of carelessness, once one is experienced with a straight razor it almost never happens.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you haven't seen "Sweeney Todd" it will put your fears at rest.

Mauby

Reaction score
If that concerned, bring your own straight razor to your barber.

coldarchon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bolo

Reaction score
a lady used a straight razor on my neck after my hair cut and cut me and she had to apply pressure to stop the bleeding

within 10 days I had ring worm infection on the back of my neck that took a month to go away

DONT LET BARBERS use straight razors! you never know what germs could be on that dirty blade.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bolo
a lady used a straight razor on my neck after my hair cut and cut me and she had to apply pressure to stop the bleeding

within 10 days I had ring worm infection on the back of my neck that took a month to go away

DONT LET BARBERS use straight razors! you never know what germs could be on that dirty blade.

Just from the bolded words I could have told you that only trouble lay ahead for you. Be glad your head remains attached!!!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Busa Dave
Been doing it for at least 35 years---still here.

Have you worn out any razors yet?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i used go to the barber for a shave when i was a teenager and had very sensitive skin. they always cut me here and there but i never had a problem with infections.

nomed

Reaction score

Dude that is so ******* weird. I've never heard of anybody getting a fungal infection from a cut like that.

SoundItOff

Reaction score
a lady used a straight razor on my neck

I know it's already been said, but there's your problem.
laugh.gif

OP I think you're worrying about this a little too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads