• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DL120

Reaction score
For my friend @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

mod106 in custom brown shell on the Riva last.
C7A6E632-D302-44DB-8615-8E29041E33EB.jpeg
17691FA1-457C-4CB1-A4B7-BB60FC8D2E7F.jpeg
D6B7B2B2-6D14-4C32-94FE-507C7DECDF50.jpeg
8143BF94-B1F1-48D0-85E2-F39BD54CF7CF.jpeg

DL120

Reaction score
You no good bum you!

I can never figure out why the Riva last (one of the better looking lasts) is considered casual. Provided you get your colors right, it always looks ???.
Yeah I hear ya. It’s definitely both the best fitting and my favorite with the toe bump eye appeal. Now that I figured out my chiseled sizing, that’s a close second though.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I hear ya. It’s definitely both the best fitting and my favorite with the toe bump eye appeal. Now that I figured out my chiseled sizing, that’s a close second though.

That's it exactly. The bump really puts it over the top. It's the differentiating factor between a solid last and a signature one.

Those socks are a eye catcher.. Sozzi?

DL120

Reaction score
That's it exactly. The bump really puts it over the top. It's the differentiating factor between a solid last and a signature one.

Those socks are a eye catcher.. Sozzi?
Yeah for sure, it’s framed as the same as classic but with a bump, but it’s actually a tad longer, a tad roomier in the width I believe. When I say tad, literally a tad but enough to notice.
Viccel brick pattern OTC

Attachments

• 03FE671E-71DF-47DF-BCB6-ACE0B207C2F3.jpeg
    03FE671E-71DF-47DF-BCB6-ACE0B207C2F3.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 129

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah for sure, it’s framed as the same as classic but with a bump, but it’s actually a tad longer, a tad roomier in the width I believe. When I say tad, literally a tad but enough to notice.
Viccel brick pattern OTC

A tad? I feel like it makes the shoe much more roomier.
That was one of the first lasts that I ever tried on (in the Skoaktiebolaget store) from StC.

Initially, I thought the last was big, but I think it's because you have a fair more amount of space from the joint to the toes. This is in comparison to the standard Classic last.
I got a better feel for it in their Trunk show here in NY.

Viccel was my second guess haha.

rdaws

Reaction score
I just got my second pair of trial shoes, and before chatting with Phillip I was hoping for a little help understanding what’s going on because the next rev is going to be the real deal.

My first pair was a classic last 8.5F. My left foot is 2-3mm longer and the ball is about 4mm bigger around than my right, so while the right shoe fit great (no adjustments), my pinky toe was very uncomfortably jammed and my big toe overly snug up top on the left. We decided to do a personal last, with a 3mm pinky toe piece and a 3mm big toe piece.

On the new pair, pinky toe feels great. No problem. Weirdly though the big toe is somehow worse, because instead of creasing down the length of the vamp, I get a single major crease that digs in to the top of my foot just where my toes start. I suspect we may have over corrected and don’t need the extra big toe space, but is there anything else I’m missing that might help get the best fit? Heres a pic of the different creasing patterns that are causing issues.

Attachments

• 73003DAE-4267-4854-A8C4-769E99CA8686.jpeg
    73003DAE-4267-4854-A8C4-769E99CA8686.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 109

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got my second pair of trial shoes, and before chatting with Phillip I was hoping for a little help understanding what’s going on because the next rev is going to be the real deal.

My first pair was a classic last 8.5F. My left foot is 2-3mm longer and the ball is about 4mm bigger around than my right, so while the right shoe fit great (no adjustments), my pinky toe was very uncomfortably jammed and my big toe overly snug up top on the left. We decided to do a personal last, with a 3mm pinky toe piece and a 3mm big toe piece.

On the new pair, pinky toe feels great. No problem. Weirdly though the big toe is somehow worse, because instead of creasing down the length of the vamp, I get a single major crease that digs in to the top of my foot just where my toes start. I suspect we may have over corrected and don’t need the extra big toe space, but is there anything else I’m missing that might help get the best fit? Heres a pic of the different creasing patterns that are causing issues.

Not an expert by any means but seems there is too much space between your feet and the leather up front (above your foot basically). This causes the leather to crease in so sharply I think (as your feet doesn’t support it until it creases deeply). Left also looks too wide but might be due to forementioned problem.

rdaws

Reaction score
Left also looks too wide but might be due to forementioned problem

I think it probably is. The ball of my left foot is 4-5mm more in circumference than my right. I think we added 3mm to the pinky, then 3mm to the big toe, which would be ~6mm of diameter (depending on what cross section we're looking at). 6mm of diameter is 18 mm of circumference, which would be a big overadjustment if they fall on the same cross section...

DL120

Reaction score

Yeah it’s kind of hard to tell what’s causing it without knowing where the ball of your foot and toes start and end. I can only go off my own experience but I’ve never had any of my StC crease set that far forward, usually it hits right on where my foot flexes at the toe joint.

I assume that’s creasing in the middle of your toes, not the base, because of the excess leather and the vamp is buckling.

if your toes were being pinched, was it from the sides or the top? If it was from the sides, I’d think width is what should be added, not volume, but again, only my experience is the basis for this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads