• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to the thread, thought it would be a nice gesture to write about the excellent service I received from Phillip and his team.

I have long wanted a single monk with Norwegian apron stitching (preferably with split toe). EG Clapham in last 82 unfortunately doesn’t fit me (either terribly tight, or significant heel slip). When I knew that Saint Crispin’s does a similar design in MTO with the flexibility of personal last, I decided to give it a try.

3880B14E-565F-4AFF-9DCB-EE9D797AE0F9.png

Sizing myself ready-to-wear shoes in Classic last 7.5F gave me an idea of the baseline fit. After email communications with Phillip we decided to go for 7.5F front/ 7.5E heel; as my right foot is slightly smaller I cheekily asked if it was possible to reduce the right shoe length by perhaps 2-3 mm. All my ready-to-wear shoes seem to have an annoying looseness on my right heel, even though the left shoe may be just right or tight. Phillip gave a positive response without hesitation, and suggested we try a 2 mm reduction first (which I would later thank him).

Trial shoe payment was done on 11 Feb, and, Viola (yes, I know CRUVIOLA is a StC colour), trial shoes were ready by 21 Feb and shipped on the same day. Shoes were efficiently transported to my home by DHL, and I received my trial shoes on 24 Feb 2020. I think this is sheer demonstration of their efficiency by any standard (read: I have been tortured by Italian makers).

The trial shoes fit as advertised. And they were obviously well made - by test shoe standards. I appreciate the fact that they are fully lined, with stiffeners and arch support put in, and thus allowed me to evaluate the fit comprehensively by taking a walk in the city. Here are some before/ after shots.

D576496E-6443-4013-AB87-C8085804AF1A.jpeg

291D1350-949D-4294-8D19-46A0DF7E9CB6.jpeg

I will be sending additional comments to Phillip and his team for potential small tweaks at the heel area (as I am quite convinced that their personal last system would work), and hopefully decide on a good leather selection for the pair within this week.

Gentlemen, what do you think may be a good smooth leather for the pair? I have in my mind VNA 076 or 078, and perhaps some wine-shade cordovan (if StC is able to source it). Any experience with StC vintage leather? I am sensitive to CRU creasing, so despite how very beautiful they are, CRU is not preferred.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• 8B381BFC-77EF-444E-94F5-9138C4BECD60.jpeg
    8B381BFC-77EF-444E-94F5-9138C4BECD60.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 9878AC77-D711-406C-ACBF-77E75A4AD148.jpeg
    9878AC77-D711-406C-ACBF-77E75A4AD148.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 84

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to the thread, thought it would be a nice gesture to write about the excellent service I received from Phillip and his team.

I have long wanted a single monk with Norwegian apron stitching (preferably with split toe). EG Clapham in last 82 unfortunately doesn’t fit me (either terribly tight, or significant heel slip). When I knew that Saint Crispin’s does a similar design in MTO with the flexibility of personal last, I decided to give it a try.

View attachment 1343246

Sizing myself ready-to-wear shoes in Classic last 7.5F gave me an idea of the baseline fit. After email communications with Phillip we decided to go for 7.5F front/ 7.5E heel; as my right foot is slightly smaller I cheekily asked if it was possible to reduce the right shoe length by perhaps 2-3 mm. All my ready-to-wear shoes seem to have an annoying looseness on my right heel, even though the left shoe may be just right or tight. Phillip gave a positive response without hesitation, and suggested we try a 2 mm reduction first (which I would later thank him).

Trial shoe payment was done on 11 Feb, and, Viola (yes, I know CRUVIOLA is a StC colour), trial shoes were ready by 21 Feb and shipped on the same day. Shoes were efficiently transported to my home by DHL, and I received my trial shoes on 24 Feb 2020. I think this is sheer demonstration of their efficiency by any standard (read: I have been tortured by Italian makers).

The trial shoes fit as advertised. And they were obviously well made - by test shoe standards. I appreciate the fact that they are fully lined, with stiffeners and arch support put in, and thus allowed me to evaluate the fit comprehensively by taking a walk in the city. Here are some before/ after shots.

View attachment 1343247

View attachment 1343251

I will be sending additional comments to Phillip and his team for potential small tweaks at the heel area (as I am quite convinced that their personal last system would work), and hopefully decide on a good leather selection for the pair within this week.

Gentlemen, what do you think may be a good smooth leather for the pair? I have in my mind VNA 076 or 078, and perhaps some wine-shade cordovan (if StC is able to source it). Any experience with StC vintage leather? I am sensitive to CRU creasing, so despite how very beautiful they are, CRU is not preferred.

Many thanks!

Welcome @shirtingfantasy. Trying to determine how the other guys who use a HW shoe live? ?

Last edited:

l33tcoder

Reaction score

Mallaig

Reaction score

View attachment 1343246

View attachment 1343247

View attachment 1343251

Many thanks!
Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience. Cannot help you on the leathers, I’ve just gotten my first pair of RTW and have a lot to learn.

Your comment about being tortured by Italian makers made me laugh. I‘m on a year long odyssey with an Italian maker. I’m ok waiting because I love their shoes, but the standard set by StC is impressive.

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Mod 621 with loden suede shalf and Russian calf upper with a norvegese/goyser stitching.

I had missed out on the black Friday sale of the Russian calf split toe derby from skoak and been kicking myself for it. I vaguely remembered michael jondral carrying STC and thus went "hunting" for a pair of STC. To my surprise, these were on sale and in my size as well. Again, I waited a bit as I asked myself, do I really need another pair of shoes, should I really be spending all this money, where are my priorities at? After a couple of weeks, they went an additional 5% off and immediately I bought them. Wasn't gonna to let myself talk myself out of it.

IMG_20200228_113630.jpg IMG_20200228_113649.jpg IMG_20200228_113707.jpg IMG_20200228_113719.jpg

Cherry popped
First of many

MOD621

View attachment 1340395

Mallaig

Reaction score
Mod 621 with loden suede shalf and Russian calf upper with a norvegese/goyser stitching.

I had missed out on the black Friday sale of the Russian calf split toe derby from skoak and been kicking myself for it. I vaguely remembered michael jondral carrying STC and thus went "hunting" for a pair of STC. To my surprise, these were on sale and in my size as well. Again, I waited a bit as I asked myself, do I really need another pair of shoes, should I really be spending all this money, where are my priorities at? After a couple of weeks, they went an additional 5% off and immediately I bought them. Wasn't gonna to let myself talk myself out of it.

View attachment 1345811 View attachment 1345813 View attachment 1345814 View attachment 1345815
Where did you find these on sale ? I don't see any STC boots available at Skoak

Meyboom

Reaction score
Question for the St C experts: do you know which kind of leather "VIN" is? There's a beautiful pair of oxfords in VIN128 available on the website and I wonder what VIN stands for?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the St C experts: do you know which kind of leather "VIN" is? There's a beautiful pair of oxfords in VIN128 available on the website and I wonder what VIN stands for?

Vintage leather. Typically is it a bit more aged but no less beautiful. I believe the boots that @djdanniedee just purchased should utilize the Vintage on the bottom part of the boot.

Last edited:

DL120

Reaction score
Vintage leather. Typically is it a bit more aged but no less beautiful. I believe the boots that @djdanniedee just purchased should utilize the Vintage on the bottom part of the boot.
His boots are russian calf and suede shaft. VIN is a vintage shrunken calf. My Riva lasted chukka has dark brown vintage shrunken calf.
FA5393FD-E0C3-4254-9E4A-A835EC8F218A.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads