• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soccer • Football • Voetbal • Fútbol • Calcio • Futebol - 2012-2013 Thread (Including EURO2012)

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, who wins Ballon d´Or today? Lio completely shattered every record by scoring nigh of 100 goals. But Iniesta is a fricking genius and won the Eurocup with Spain, as well as being an integral part of barcelona´s triumphs this year, ´cause Lio ain´t scoring all those goals just with sheer magic. I gotta leave Cristiano aside (despite being my favorite player), because he scored less than messi, and isn´t a "creator" like "the brain".

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

So, who wins Ballon d´Or today? Lio completely shattered every record by scoring  nigh of 100 goals. But Iniesta is a fricking genius and won the Eurocup with Spain, as well as being an integral part of barcelona´s triumphs this year, ´cause Lio ain´t scoring all those goals just with sheer magic. I gotta leave Cristiano aside (despite being my favorite player), because he scored less than messi, and isn´t a "creator" like "the brain".

in no way am i diminishing the contribution of the little midgets -- their presence alone is enough of a distraction to afford anyone else free space on the pitch -- but I have to disagree somewhat with the bolded part.

the breakdown :- Messi was assisted by eighteen different teammates, most frequently was Iniesta who assisted eight of Messi goals. Just one behind was Alexis Sánchez and the other summer 2011 signing, Cesc Fàbregas, assisted six times. Barca veterans Xavi and Pedro assisted Leo five times. The bombarding full back Dani Alves made four goals while Messi's Argentina compatriot Gonzalo Higuaín assisted three times. Adriano, Busquets, Agüero, Tello, Alba and Montoya all assisted twice and Thiago, Keita, Di Maria, Gago and David Villa all assisted Barcelona's brightest star once.
So that's 55 assisted goals.

So you see, mon cher argentin,

By the way it's interesting to see really how simple he keeps it, no excess flicks tricks and what have you unlike cristiano when he does things and falls over or loses it out of play some people.

Although you have Ronaldinho preceding him at the club who did things that should not be physically possible, absurd things only an insame man would consider.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score

He's not in line with what the club stands for (awaiting pokes from Shah here... :) ) and who in their right mind is going to bench a two-time Euro, one WC winner and captain who commands the team and the defense?

who said he's in his right mind ?

Called it 3.5 years ago: Bale being linked to move to Madrid this summer. Maybe that means CR7 will be on to different pastures as well? Follow Mourinho to Paris or Manchester? Can't see them playing Bale as a leftback with how good Marcelo is, and how on-the-bench Fabio Coentrão should be.

if Bale goes to Madrid (and in all likelihood this is crap peddled around by british media because they know ElArg will take the bait :p) the club will take whatever glory and repute (aside from fascism) it has built over the past half century or so and throw it under the bus where they put the last trophy they won. I would imagine Jose leaves before CR does, what with the trolling and in-fighting and cliquiness of the locker room ...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear lord I hate(...love) those repeated 1-2s between Busquets/Iniesta and Messi, where Messi literally just runs a circle around a defender like the spoke around a pivot man.

One of the things I rate Messi highest for is how simplistic (in appearance) his game is. He literally makes it look easy, and that is the sign of a world beater. I don't think Messi can't win the Bd'O after this year. I would somehow bet that Platini/Blatter screw it up and award it to Iniesta on Spain's merits, but come freaking ON.

if Bale goes to Madrid (and in all likelihood this is crap peddled around by british media because they know ElArg will take the bait ...
You know me too well...

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sepp Blatter is an idiot.

I don't totally know where I stand on the KPB thing, walking off the pitch and abandoning a match over racist chanting, but Blatter saying that they should just play on and only impose sanctions on guilty teams is ridiculous. That's what they've tried to do, and it doesn't work. It's like US Dems and trying to approve a budget - it JUST DON'T HAPPEN.

While believing that racism is undeniably wrong, I feel somewhat hesitant to say that governing bodies can dictate to fans what sentiments they can or can't express. If you want to shout that (diluted) opinion in public, if you want to look like a complete imbecile living 200 years in the past, and have that shadow cast on the crest of your club, then all power to you. If it came down to clubs needing to crack down on their fans, rather than FIFA/UEFA, then the solution would be cleaned up really quickly.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sepp Blatter is an idiot.
I don't totally know where I stand on the KPB thing, walking off the pitch and abandoning a match over racist chanting, but Blatter saying that they should just play on and only impose sanctions on guilty teams is ridiculous. That's what they've tried to do, and it doesn't work. It's like US Dems and trying to approve a budget - it JUST DON'T HAPPEN.
While believing that racism is undeniably wrong, I feel somewhat hesitant to say that governing bodies can dictate to fans what sentiments they can or can't express. If you want to shout that (diluted) opinion in public, if you want to look like a complete imbecile living 200 years in the past, and have that shadow cast on the crest of your club, then all power to you. If it came down to clubs needing to crack down on their fans, rather than FIFA/UEFA, then the solution would be cleaned up really quickly.

It is a difficult one...

If the team walks off ,no match and both set of supporters will have to suffer...

To Continue playing the game and having a financial fine doesn't work ,especially on richer clubs..

And when will it be acceptable to walk off?

Monkey noises,insults,chants????

Are we reserving thast to race only or any discriminations/

Will a team falling behind not try walk off to stop losing a game????

It's a difficult one,a very difficult one...

Clubs must ban their fans for life when something like that is happening..

Playing behind closed doors is another solution..

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I can't get behind cosed-door matches. Ultimately this is a spectator sport, and without the fans would be little more than a bunch of enthusiasts playing together in a park.

Walking off is also absurd, like a child throwing a tantrum. Kuwait v France, 1982, the Kuwaitis thought they heard a whistle and stopped playing but the French scored anyway. The Sheikh was not too happy, and ordered his men off the pitch. The referee then decided to not allow the goal and the Kuwaitis came back on.

Clubs should take responsibility for their fans, but I don't know how that will happen if an entire club and its supporters are skewed, like fascist Madrid or all the Nazis in Lazio. Then you have on-field politics, when the likes of Oleguer and his pro-separatist articles he kept writing drawing criticism to Barca and its board. I forgot who it was on Madrid that used to write supporting castillan centralism that used to clash with Oleguer over this too. So there's another potential walk-out.

edit: may have been atletico madrid's Salva Ballesta

Last edited:

lasbar69

Reaction score

I can't get behind cosed-door matches. Ultimately this is a spectator sport, and without the fans would be little more than a bunch of enthusiasts playing together in a park.
Walking off is also absurd, like a child throwing a tantrum. Kuwait v France, 1982, the Kuwaitis thought they heard a whistle and stopped playing but the French scored anyway. The Sheikh was not too happy, and ordered his men off the pitch. The referee then decided to not allow the goal and the Kuwaitis came back on.

Clubs should take responsibility for their fans, but I don't know how that will happen if an entire club and its supporters are skewed, like fascist Madrid or all the Nazis in Lazio. Then you have on-field politics, when the likes of Oleguer and his pro-separatist articles he kept writing drawing criticism to Barca and its board. I forgot who it was on Madrid that used to write supporting castillan centralism that used to clash with Oleguer over this too. So there's another potential walk-out.

The Kuwaiti Prince did threaten the Russian referee of some kind of oil based response if the goal was allowed...

They lost 4-1 anyway but it was funny to watch the referee disallowing a valid goal..

lasbar69

Reaction score

The Kuwaiti Prince did threaten the Russian referee of some kind of oil based response if the goal was allowed...

They lost 4-1 anyway but it was funny to watch the referee disallowing a valid goal..

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Yes. Agree.

- Yes. Completely inappropriate.

All dem fascists. :) If it's part of the club's identity then I see no reason to change it. I just think that the clubs should be anticipating and prepared for the media fallout that will accompany a dated, morally wrong position. I have no problem w/ Nazis or Italian separatists supporting Lazio. I think club identity manifest through history and modern supporters is a good thing - just be ready for the rep. I mean, I've never been to Madrid, but am totally fine w/ Shah calling me a fascist. :nodding: Just comes w/ supporting the greatest club ever. :bigstar:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news, Fiorentina scored big swooping for Giuseppe Rossi, still lounging around w/ Villarreal in La Segunda. He'll be an asset when he gets back to form.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SUCK IT EPL! :)

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, for a minute I thought it might go to Iniesta, given Spain winning the euro, but if you`re looking at an individual player`s achievements, it would be the stupidest thing to disregard lio`s 91 goals. I mean, just think about that number. Cristiano wasn`t gonna win it because he`s a forward who scored less goals. The fight was (or seemed to be) with Iniesta.

One thing no one has mentioned, and it worries me, was the selection for best goal of the year... really? I´m feeling inclined to post dozens of seth meyer and amy poehler´s "Really?" SNL sketch. Granted, it was a great goal, I`m not gonna take that away, but BEST GOAL OF THE YEAR, REALLY???!!!!
The overall selectin was weak. All 3 goals were fantastic, but I can not believe they were the best 3 of the year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads