• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So I was given a Jos A Bank gift card for Xmas.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I believe it, but why would someone buy a $100 card for $95, lol.

I've seen a $50 gas card go for $53. Seriously. If you buy the $100 card for $95 and .44 cents shipping, that's $4.44 saved for less than 10 minutes of effort. And in today's crappy economy, that matters.

aperson

Reaction score
Someone asked about the silk pocket squares. I ordered three in one of their "buy one get two free" sales recently.

It barely even feels like silk. The colors are decent, but if you actually plan on using these to come into contact with human skin I'd say no.

wannabe

Reaction score

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Thanks aperson. I wasn't holding my breath.

So, then... with ~$60 in Jos A Banks credit, I guess I'll get a belt...

EDIT: Do they sell Allen Edmonds accessories, or only shoes? No brands for belts are listed on the website...

Last edited:

habanos

Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions. I think I am going to do the ebay thing. BTW my understanding is that the Platinum suits are only half-canvassed per a thread search I conducted.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the opinions. I think I am going to do the ebay thing. BTW my understanding is that the Platinum suits are only half-canvassed per a thread search I conducted.

Really, don't even look at suits. Either try to sell it or look at Allen Edmonds.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before you blindly follow SF groupthink, go and try for yourself the JAB Platinum suits.

Who know, they may actually fit and flatter you. There is no substitute for trying something in real life.

Outside of a handful of forumites, and almost all of them wear bespoke, I've yet to see any real decent fits.

And NO, just because you can get a Brioni/Kiton/RLPL for 80% off retail price does NOT automatically mean the suit will magically make you look good.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The JAB website says the Platinum suits are fully canvassed so I would assume they are. I'll bet you could find some discussion of them on AAAC.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy some wool turtlenecks, they're actually pretty decent, I own a couple

Stylego

Reaction score
eBay value is always close to what's on the card.
$100 sells for $95, eBay takes $10, you're left with $85.

I believe it, but why would someone buy a $100 card for $95, lol.

Huh. Well, they're probably accountants. Depending on how you annualize the return, you could be looking at something like a 90%...hell, if you don't want to do that, say you'd used it during this past BB sale (assuming you'd purchased a BB card)...your 52% savings would have become 57%...not bad.

Last edited:

Stylego

Reaction score

Before you blindly follow SF groupthink, go and try for yourself the JAB Platinum suits.

Who know, they may actually fit and flatter you. There is no substitute for trying something in real life.

Outside of a handful of forumites, and almost all of them wear bespoke, I've yet to see any real decent fits.

And NO, just because you can get a Brioni/Kiton/RLPL for 80% off retail price does NOT automatically mean the suit will magically make you look good.

I'm almost certain that most(the vast majority) don't buy any of those brands. I've purchased my fair share of JAB pants. Let's me "dress up" and not worry about ruining them when I'm standing next to a machining center on a factory floor.

Last edited:

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't buy anything on JAB, consider selling the card on plasticjungle.com.

I think they buy back at 73.5% of the card value and give you paypal $ or amazon giftcards in return.

tsacain

Reaction score
I would get shoe trees. They are a good deal in my mind with the "buy one get two free". Otherwise just sell the card. Depending on how much is on it, I would buy it. To purchase shoe trees and ceder hangers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads