• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silently Judging Me - and my clothes!

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I have since become much more educated about clothing in general. It no longer makes any rational sense for me to purchase inferior designer goods when I can get top-end quality for a bit more. Not only that, but I have become much more tuned-in to proper fit, to the point where I wouldn't consider buying anything besides bespoke shirts and MTM pants. RTW just doesn't cut it. And for jackets, well it only took me one Borrelli to fall in love with the brand. Everything about the brand is just so much better than the crap produced by most designers."

"So I don't think people are consciously or subconsciously conforming to the overall preferences of the board, but becoming more educated and developing a more refined sense of taste. They also learn to seperate their buying habits from the whims of fashion, which makes financial sense as well.

Precisely my point.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
I had hoped for a more disarmingly sarcastic tone there - I don't really think of myself as snobbish, and only a TAD arrogant.

And GQGeek, yeah, that's how I usually dress. I think its more a function of living on a sweatpants-and-holey T-shirts kind of campus.

cheapmutha, I know how you feel. I always browse SF with a tab open to College Humor or Maxim in case someone walks in and catchs me in flagrante. (Just kidding...kinda).

johnapril, Indiana? Why indiana? I couldn't name you a city in Indiana if I tried?

And finally, I'm not really to stressed about it. I was just musing and killing time. What's that quote, something about better to be infamous than unknown? Can't remember the exact phrase or origin, but it's a good'un.

"sarchasm, the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it ..."

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
"sarchasm, the gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it ..."

I was quite aware that Augusto86 might be sarcastic, what is exactly why I used the subjunctive in the if - clause. You, undoubtedly a person of scintillating wit, should have been capable of recognizing that. So this one goes out for you, Mr. Checks:

Originally Posted by Goethe, from: "Poetry and Truth", book VII
"By all means he makes too free a use of direct irony, praising the blameworthy and blaming the praiseworthy--a rhetorical device which should be very sparingly employed. In the long run it disgusts the sensible and misleads the dull, pleasing only the great intermediate class to whom it offers the satisfaction of being able to think themselves more shrewd than other people, without expending much thought of their own."

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
\t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks

I was quite aware that Augusto86 might be sarcastic, what is exactly why I used the subjunctive in the if - clause. You, undoubtedly a person of scintillating wit, should have been capable of recognizing that. So this one goes out for you, Mr. Checks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goethe, from: "Poetry and Truth", book VII
"By all means he makes too free a use of direct irony, praising the blameworthy and blaming the praiseworthy--a rhetorical device which should be very sparingly employed. In the long run it disgusts the sensible and misleads the dull, pleasing only the great intermediate class to whom it offers the satisfaction of being able to think themselves more shrewd than other people, without expending much thought of their own."

Wow! Stung by Goethe!!

Well, I'll see your German and raise you a Russian!

Sarcasm: the last refuge of modest and chaste-minded people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded. - Dostoyevsky

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I've learned recently that not giving a flying **** what people think is a good attitude to have.
I think there is some truth to this.
smile.gif
Do what you feel is right and let others talk...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think members do favor some names here over others due to their own learning or experience shared here. Once you learn how to identify quality then you are pointed in the direction of a select group of names and you seek them out even if they are expensive at times, because in part you know they will last and you are getting true artisan quality.

This is different from suggesting that members are simply favoring certain names due to community pressure or blindly following the leader.

I see it as an educational process...there are disagreements about which name is the best of the say Top 5, but little disagreement about who is below that level.

Also, there are certain products that have tremendous quality per price which is my definition of a good value.
smile.gif

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I think there is some truth to this.
smile.gif
Do what you feel is right and let others talk...

I have found that handing out gum or even Tic Tacs tends to blunt any nascent ctiticism.

Note: This may not be enough if you are wearing neon pink patent leather lederhosen and carrying a homemade trident.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
I have found that handing out gum or even Tic Tacs tends to blunt any nascent ctiticism.

Note: This may not be enough if you are wearing neon pink patent leather lederhosen and carrying a homemade trident.

As in many things, it all depends on the context. If everyone around you is wearing fire-engine red patent lederhosen then you're sadly out of place.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
The reason to care is because sometimes, people don't know why something looks better but they know that, for whatever reason, it looks better.

What I see a lot of on this board, and what I am talking about on this thread, is people going from wearing Gucci and Prada shoes to wearing Allen Edmonds, John Lobbs and Edward Greens because the latter brands are preferred by the membership of the forum - even though they are a totally different aesthetic.

I will agree that this is sometimes the case, but it also may be because the AE, John Lobss, etc. brands are better made, even if the aesthetic is different.

As a side note, I believe your quote should say "now you gonna die" as opposed to "now you're gonna die."

This could, however, just be your own special way of "nonconforming."

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
Wow! Stung by Goethe!!

Well, I'll see your German and raise you a Russian!

Dostoevsky must have said that when he felt "Insulted and Humiliated".
I just realized that Goethe himself has posted these lines, furnishing proof that poetry is alive. I didn´t know he was a fellow forum member, though.
laugh.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I will agree that this is sometimes the case, but it also may be because the AE, John Lobss, etc. brands are better made, even if the aesthetic is different.

As a side note, I believe your quote should say "now you gonna die" as opposed to "now you're gonna die."

This could, however, just be your own special way of "nonconforming."

No, I'm pretty sure the way I have it is right.

EDIT: No, wait, it's wrong. Oh well. Guess I'll just continue "nonconforming."

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
What I see a lot of on this board, and what I am talking about on this thread, is people going from wearing Gucci and Prada shoes to wearing Allen Edmonds, John Lobbs and Edward Greens because the latter brands are preferred by the membership of the forum - even though they are a totally different aesthetic.
Could it also be that they are a better value per dollar than Gucci and Prada relative to craftsmanship?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Could it also be that they are a better value per dollar than Gucci and Prada relative to craftsmanship?

Sure, but why is it that when quality never mattered before, now all of a sudden it's the most important factor - even more important than aesthetics? I just don't see how a person goes from liking the Gucci or Prada aesthetic in shoes to liking the Allen Edmonds aesthetic just because they are better quality or a better value.

It seems that some people come to the forum with a preference of aesthetics over value and leave with a preference of value over aesthetics.

If it makes any of you feel better, the herd mentality is even worse at some *ahem* other menswear forums.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Sure, but why is it that when quality never mattered before, now all of a sudden it's the most important factor - even more important than aesthetics? I just don't see how a person goes from liking the Gucci or Prada aesthetic in shoes to liking the Allen Edmonds aesthetic just because they are better quality or a better value.

It seems that some people come to the forum with a preference of aesthetics over value and leave with a preference of value over aesthetics.

If it makes any of you feel better, the herd mentality is even worse at some *ahem* other menswear forums.

Agree with all points. And quite often you will read members posting odd apologies because they were wearing or own <bananarepublickennethcoleexpressetcetc> as if that were a sartorial crime. I'm betting these apologies come from brands not being accepted by the ethereal groupthink that *does* exist around these parts.

In that respect, the Streetwear forum is definitely more individualistic and geared towards "style" since members will post about wearing Gap, HM, Express unapologetically and look good doing so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads