• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Silently Judging Me - and my clothes!

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The tie-wearing, basket carrying folks of the world would be shocked to know the ability of the poor and simple to read clearly the contempt writ large across the face of said tie wearers.

Hey Boy, who you callin folks?

Or should I say Ou Garcon!!

K

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty nice look you've got going with the navy striped suit, blue shirt and cognac shoes. I'd share a seat on the bus with you.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice amount of cuff showing, too.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
In fact, I think I look more approachable in a suit and tie than in street clothes - street clothes make me look more intimidating than a suit.

I have that same skull/bones tshirt. And I have the same experience, I'm sure because my tattoos of bombs, knives, brass knuckles, and other assorted images of violence tattooed on my forearms are very apparent when I'm not more sussed.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
?

(what's this about? is it appropriate in a public forum about clothing to make reference to where someone lives?) besides, Beverly and La Brea isn't West LA

It's all relative, my friend. I remember one time watching a criminal defendant from East LA continually refer to another gentleman with whom he had interacted as being "from the westside". When the judge asked him to be more specific, he said "you know, the westside - by Western".

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Point taken.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I'm not sure I completely agree with your point that people give-up their own aesthetic preferences to conform to the preferences of the forum members. When I started buying better clothes, I was very much in to Armani clothes and Ferragamo shoes. My first suit was an Armani MTM. I have since become much more educated about clothing in general. It no longer makes any rational sense for me to purchase inferior designer goods when I can get top-end quality for a bit more. Not only that, but I have become much more tuned-in to proper fit, to the point where I wouldn't consider buying anything besides bespoke shirts and MTM pants.
Um, I think that I am in the top bracket of people on the forum when it comes to knowledge about clothes in general. Nevertheless, I prefer Helmut Lang and Costume National to Borrelli and Attolini, for aesthetic reasons. I don't dispute that the latter brands are much better made than the former, but I prefer the former nonetheless. Oh, and I prefer Prada boots (well, those from a few seasons ago, before quality *really* fell off) to Edward Green shoes, goodyear welting, blah blah blah, notwithstanding.
To top it off, I now have a style that while perhaps not unique in this world, is very classic and will never look bad. It's got very little to do with conforming.
I think it's sad to dress to "never look bad".
So I don't think people are consciously or subconsciously conforming to the overall preferences of the board, but becoming more educated and developing a more refined sense of taste. They also learn to seperate their buying habits from the whims of fashion, which makes financial sense as well.
Um, what does financial sense have to do with style? Oh, and there is groupthink in forums such as this one. It's in the Streetwear forum as well. It's just human nature, and no-one is immune. Let's not delude ourselves.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
Oh, and there is groupthink in forums such as this one. It's in the Streetwear forum as well. It's just human nature, and no-one is immune. Let's not delude ourselves.

One need only look at the buying frenzy for the $325 RL "EG" shoes for an excellent example of this type of behavior.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Nevertheless, I prefer Helmut Lang and Costume National to Borrelli and Attolini, for aesthetic reasons.
boxing[1].gif
Thems fightin words!

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
One need only look at the buying frenzy for the $325 RL "EG" shoes for an excellent example of this type of behavior.

But, staying true to the thread, the questions are:

1. does that mean the buyer/s is doing something to please forum members (whom he doesn't know and never sees) -- or has he just learned or become exposed to something he didn't previously know existed or appreciate the value of, and

2. does that mean the buyer/s has changed his style to succumb to group think? (which is where the original post was headed)

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
But, staying true to the thread, the questions are: 1. does that mean the buyer/s is doing something to please forum members (whom he doesn't know and never sees) -- or has he just learned or become exposed to something he didn't previously know existed or appreciate the value of, and 2. does that mean the buyer/s has changed his style to succumb to group think? (which is where the original post was headed)
I like how at first the EG sale shoes were Corbens (great!!), then they became the "EG Stern" and folks were like "oh ok, the Stern, that's cool", as if they even knew wtf "Sterns" were...just content that they were "EG". Choosing "quality construction" over "aesthetics" is something I can't relate to at all. I dont care how well something is made. If it's ugly it's ugly. No amount of handwork is gonna change that. And brand loyalty to a brand you arent even that familiar with is very odd behavior in my book. I guess in the end, "Stealth wealth" is a huge factor in people's purchasing behaviors.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well in that case, any EGs bought for $300 could be either returned, or likely flipped for a profit. So it wasn't just a brand frenzy. Imagine if Polo.com listed their cable crewneck sweaters for $80 with a 25% off coupon. They can be flipped on ebay for $140 in season. So it's just smart to snatch them up.

But yes, a lot of people do come here and seem to conform to the dictates of the mavens on the board. I don't know how much of that is straight conformity, familiarization with brands they weren't aware of (ever seen an EG ad in a magazine?), change of personal style due to exposure to other styles, etc. I know when I started the board I thought Gucci and Prada were probably really great stuff and I couldn't afford them. The fact that that was what was heavily advertised led me to believe they were the best stuff out there. Having been exposed to all the styles available, I've put together my own eclectic collection and moved a lot away from the Italian style.

King Missile just came on, so I can't think anymore. I'll come back later.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
The board, I think, provides a variety of services and with it, problems. For instance, I used to shun leather-soled shoes, thinking the cost and discomfort outweighed the quality. I'm now (slowly) converting my whole collection into that type, because having tried the first pair, I am reluctant to return to 'mall brand' shoes.

Good - I like my shoes better now.
Bad - I spend more on shoes.

a certain amount of follow-the-leader is necessary when one is ignorant of the subject at hand - in my case, good shoes.

I hope eventually to be able to independently assess and make my own judgments about construction quality, but until then, i want the best value-for-money, and well-made pieces fill that need.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I like how at first the EG sale shoes were Corbens (great!!), then they became the "EG Stern" and folks were like "oh ok, the Stern, that's cool", as if they even knew wtf "Sterns" were...just content that they were "EG". Choosing "quality construction" over "aesthetics" is something I can't relate to at all.
Speaking of aesthetics, though, there was a photo posted, notwithstanding that it turned out to be the wrong photo.

Moreover, it's a free option to return it if you didn't like the aesthetics and didn't think you could flip it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads