• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
Hi

Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D.

The SW&D thread got started with this

Originally Posted by kronik
So, a lot of times I really like a piece and I'm sometimes curious as to what other people think of its wearability or how good of an idea it actually is. The allure of sales over the years have made many people buy B&S-destined clothing. This is the opportune place to see if you should buy that pink sweater (yes) or gold floral tuxedo shirt (no). Maybe you think you can size down where you probably shouldn't? You could also use this thread to recommend cheaper alternatives to posted items.

I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.

Best regards
 

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies
 

onix

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
3,847
Reaction score
29
Originally Posted by aj_del
That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.
Did I miss a fight somewhere?
Originally Posted by aj_del
So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies
1. Very versatile, on par with brown (see: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=115320) 2. I would say business casual to casual 3. Yes in term of appropriateness, but no idea how good/bad they will be without seeing the actually combination (jeans color, cuff/not-cuff, jeans cut, etc.,).
 

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
Originally Posted by onix
Did I miss a fight somewhere?


No fight, it's just that holymadness takes starting new threads rather personally and is not hesitant in voicing his opinion.
 

jmoody15

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
157
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by onix
3. Yes in term of appropriateness, but no idea how good/bad they will be without seeing the actually combination (jeans color, cuff/not-cuff, jeans cut, etc.,).

Cuffed jeans?
 

clausc

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2007
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by aj_del
Hi

Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D.

The SW&D thread got started with this



I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.

Best regards


Hmmm.. I'm tempted often to post a new thread on a unknown brand or a good deal.

This thread will be unreadable soon. It would be nice it you get an answer in a few minutes, otherwise your question will be quickly burried under different posts. What about a new subforum dedicated to this type of questions?
 

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
Originally Posted by clausc
Hmmm.. I'm tempted often to post a new thread on a unknown brand or a good deal.

This thread will be unreadable soon. It would be nice it you get an answer in a few minutes, otherwise your question will be quickly burried under different posts. What about a new subforum dedicated to this type of questions?


The SWD thread is 572 pages currently. I have used it a couple of times and found the concept appealing. That is the reason for starting this thread. Whether it works here depends on other members.
 

Doxe

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2009
Messages
509
Reaction score
18
aj_del,

The burgundy would look good with darker jeans. Burgundy would also look good with the grey flannel suits you have. Ox-blood is best with the grey, but burgundy is nice.
 

hobscrk777

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2009
Messages
418
Reaction score
0
Should I buy a navy blazer? I'm considering the RL Rugby blazer. It's got patch pockets (a must, if you ask me), slim lapels, and a satisfactory drop. I could get it for about $350, but I don't think I'd really have the opportunity to wear it much in the near future since I'm still in college for the remainder of the year. Nonetheless, I've sort of been itching to buy one for awhile. I suppose I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying this and putting the $350 to better use
.
 

Larson McCord

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2010
Messages
507
Reaction score
15
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Should I buy a navy blazer? I'm considering the RL Rugby blazer. It's got patch pockets (a must, if you ask me), slim lapels, and a satisfactory drop. I could get it for about $350, but I don't think I'd really have the opportunity to wear it much in the near future since I'm still in college for the remainder of the year. Nonetheless, I've sort of been itching to buy one for awhile. I suppose I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying this and putting the $350 to better use
.


A Navy Blazer is a wardrobe staple. It is one of the most versatile things you can own and is something that is great to start your wardrobe with. Many (like me) have multiple blue blazers. I have a lighter one for warmer weather and a heavier one for winter
 

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
This Peal & Co. (by C & J) wingtip blucher as a substitute for the Polo Darlton cordovan one which I am unable to find currently.
 

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
10,003
Reaction score
5,618
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
A Navy Blazer is a wardrobe staple. It is one of the most versatile things you can own and is something that is great to start your wardrobe with. Many (like me) have multiple blue blazers. I have a lighter one for warmer weather and a heavier one for winter

+1000. I have one in seersucker, one in heavyweight hopsack, and one in 4 season Dormeuil.

Originally Posted by aj_del


Beautiful shoes man...I'd wear em, and I love that color of cordovan, like the Alden #8

Originally Posted by aj_del
This Peal & Co. (by C & J) wingtip blucher as a substitute for the Polo Darlton cordovan one which I am unable to find currently.



Another nice looking shoe, however, I wouldn't get it as a replacement for the Darlton, because you know eventually you're gonna find it and buy it. They're too different to be looked at like that imo.
 

George

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
2,832
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by aj_del
Hi Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D. The SW&D thread got started with this I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads. Best regards
...and quite right too.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,918
Messages
9,667,256
Members
201,983
Latest member
bestawningcompany
Top