Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aj_del, Jul 12, 2010.

1. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Hi

Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D.

The SW&D thread got started with this

So, a lot of times I really like a piece and I'm sometimes curious as to what other people think of its wearability or how good of an idea it actually is. The allure of sales over the years have made many people buy B&S-destined clothing. This is the opportune place to see if you should buy that pink sweater (yes) or gold floral tuxedo shirt (no). Maybe you think you can size down where you probably shouldn't? You could also use this thread to recommend cheaper alternatives to posted items.

I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.

Best regards

2. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies [​IMG]

3. onix

onix Well-Known Member

That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.
    Did I miss a fight somewhere?
    So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies
    1. Very versatile, on par with brown (see: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=115320) 2. I would say business casual to casual 3. Yes in term of appropriateness, but no idea how good/bad they will be without seeing the actually combination (jeans color, cuff/not-cuff, jeans cut, etc.,).

4. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Did I miss a fight somewhere?

No fight, it's just that holymadness takes starting new threads rather personally and is not hesitant in voicing his opinion. [​IMG]

5. jmoody15

jmoody15 Well-Known Member

3. Yes in term of appropriateness, but no idea how good/bad they will be without seeing the actually combination (jeans color, cuff/not-cuff, jeans cut, etc.,).

Cuffed jeans?

6. onix

onix Well-Known Member

Cuffed jeans?

Plenty here, or real life even...

7. clausc

clausc Well-Known Member

Hi

Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D.

The SW&D thread got started with this

I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.

Best regards

Hmmm.. I'm tempted often to post a new thread on a unknown brand or a good deal.

This thread will be unreadable soon. It would be nice it you get an answer in a few minutes, otherwise your question will be quickly burried under different posts. What about a new subforum dedicated to this type of questions?

8. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Cuffed jeans?

I find cuffed jeans and chinos perfectly OK [​IMG]

9. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. I'm tempted often to post a new thread on a unknown brand or a good deal.

This thread will be unreadable soon. It would be nice it you get an answer in a few minutes, otherwise your question will be quickly burried under different posts. What about a new subforum dedicated to this type of questions?

The SWD thread is 572 pages currently. I have used it a couple of times and found the concept appealing. That is the reason for starting this thread. Whether it works here depends on other members.

10. Doxe

Doxe Well-Known Member

aj_del,

The burgundy would look good with darker jeans. Burgundy would also look good with the grey flannel suits you have. Ox-blood is best with the grey, but burgundy is nice.

11. hobscrk777

hobscrk777 Well-Known Member

Should I buy a navy blazer? I'm considering the RL Rugby blazer. It's got patch pockets (a must, if you ask me), slim lapels, and a satisfactory drop. I could get it for about $350, but I don't think I'd really have the opportunity to wear it much in the near future since I'm still in college for the remainder of the year. Nonetheless, I've sort of been itching to buy one for awhile. I suppose I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying this and putting the $350 to better use [​IMG] .

12. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Well-Known Member

Should I buy a navy blazer? I'm considering the RL Rugby blazer. It's got patch pockets (a must, if you ask me), slim lapels, and a satisfactory drop. I could get it for about $350, but I don't think I'd really have the opportunity to wear it much in the near future since I'm still in college for the remainder of the year. Nonetheless, I've sort of been itching to buy one for awhile. I suppose I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying this and putting the $350 to better use [​IMG] .

A Navy Blazer is a wardrobe staple. It is one of the most versatile things you can own and is something that is great to start your wardrobe with. Many (like me) have multiple blue blazers. I have a lighter one for warmer weather and a heavier one for winter

13. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

This Peal & Co. (by C & J) wingtip blucher as a substitute for the Polo Darlton cordovan one which I am unable to find currently. [​IMG]

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

A Navy Blazer is a wardrobe staple. It is one of the most versatile things you can own and is something that is great to start your wardrobe with. Many (like me) have multiple blue blazers. I have a lighter one for warmer weather and a heavier one for winter

+1000. I have one in seersucker, one in heavyweight hopsack, and one in 4 season Dormeuil.

[​IMG]

Beautiful shoes man...I'd wear em, and I love that color of cordovan, like the Alden #8

This Peal & Co. (by C & J) wingtip blucher as a substitute for the Polo Darlton cordovan one which I am unable to find currently.

[​IMG]

Another nice looking shoe, however, I wouldn't get it as a replacement for the Darlton, because you know eventually you're gonna find it and buy it. They're too different to be looked at like that imo.

15. George

George Well-Known Member

Hi Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D. The SW&D thread got started with this I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads. Best regards
    ...and quite right too. [​IMG]

16. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

Well, I have never understood the hate for people starting new threads. Its even more vicious in SW&D.

I would think that a lot of members are interested in getting other's opinions rather than endlessly debating about drape, Rubinacci, A& S, Mafoofan, etc which personally I find quite tedious.

The purpose of starting this thread was that people like can get opinions regarding future purchases rather than getting bitch slapped by members who know everything.

17. George

George Well-Known Member

Well, I have never understood the hate for people starting new threads. Its even more vicious in SW&D. I would think that a lot of members are interested in getting other's opinions rather than endlessly debating about drape, Rubinacci, A& S, Mafoofan, etc which personally I find quite tedious. The purpose of starting this thread was that people like can get opinions regarding future purchases rather than getting bitch slapped by members who know everything.
    Look, there's nothing wrong with starting a new thread, some threads become long and unwieldy making them difficult to search through. Also, if a new thread is started it can allow new members who are unaware of older related threads to join in the discussion and offer fresh perspectives. You're being too touchy.

18. aj_del

aj_del Well-Known Member

^^ it's not about me being too touchy, but a lot of newer members get a lot of flak for starting new thread which sometimes I feel is not justified.

19. George

George Well-Known Member

Its true, I am new and I am afraid to start new thread as i have not had time to go thru all old threads to see if subject has come up. I think it is fair that if subject is not in first 100 entires, then subject should be allowed to raise again.
    What did you want to start the thread about?

20. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

this thread is failing fast [​IMG] aj_del, i think you should forget both the C&J and Peals, and hold out for the Polo Darltons. those Peals are pretty unremarkable in person, imho, whereas the Darltons are pretty fucking awesome