1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by aj_del, Jul 12, 2010.

1. forex

forex Senior member

^^ I'm thinking of getting this next. Then i will have 3 suits that look exactly the same from 10 feet away.

[​IMG]

Why so many flannels? How many months do you wear these suits? 2 months?

2. paco_deluca

paco_deluca Senior member

i am thinking about getting a pair of dark brown suede chukkas. [​IMG] What does one wear with these boots? Can they be dressed up? or should they mainly be worn as casual shoes to go with jeans and a casual jacket?

3. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies [​IMG]
    I was thinking about those Onslows as well. They're very attractive but for me ultimately I think they're the kind of shoe I admire in the store or on someone else but wouldn't work for me. They are a bit loud in color (again, for me), especially with jeans, and I can't think of a situation in which I'd choose them over my Darltons, which seem to play the same role. I'd always be looking at the Onslows and think "Next time..." This is the same reason I prefer the dark brown Audleys over the chestnut Belgraves. I'm finding there are a lot of shoes here that I think look amazing online and in the store but know I'd pass them over when I get dressed in the morning.
    ^^ I'm thinking of getting this next. Then i will have 3 suits that look exactly the same from 10 feet away. [​IMG]
    I really like this, and would wear it in a heartbeat. What are the deets?

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think you really should have gone with the darker one, AJ - but whatever floats your boat.

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I think you really should have gone with the darker one, AJ - but whatever floats your boat.

^^^ this VVV
    Makes sense; why change a winning concept?

[​IMG] I too would have voted for the charcoal grey stripe flannel. Just picked up an Isaia one, and it is sweet. I'm not a fan of the microstripes from any distance. Of course, that is personal taste.

I might get that as well as the Caruso fit me well off the rack and getting something made in more hassle that I think clothing is worth

Why so many flannels? How many months do you wear these suits? 2 months?

I generally wear suits from nov 15 to feb 15. Thats why I have only heavy suits. I dont wear a suit during the 9 months of summer.

I got 2 suits made of lighter cloth - fresco and bought a suit of tissue weight wool and they always feel very insubstantial to me.

I really like this, and would wear it in a heartbeat. What are the deets?

Stile Latino (filed under Attolini on the ehaberdasher website)

6. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

For a man who dressed as boring as me, I am strangely attracted to this double sided scarf. What do you think of this ? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

not sure if this goes here, but I didnt want to start a new thread just for my question.

What do you guys think about the following, I plan to use them to carry 2 credit cards and 2 Ids. I know that one is a card case and not intended for credit cards, but does it really matter?

I dont like wallets because they give me a one inch raise, so that is not an option.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...80731cat000538

I like the second one and then the third the most.

8. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

For a man who dressed as boring as me, I am strangely attracted to this double sided scarf. What do you think of this ?

I like the scarf. It doesn't wow me because of the brown but it's different and I can see it working in some instances. It might just what a conservative dresser needs to push the boundaries ever so slightly. [​IMG]

9. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

not sure if this goes here, but I didnt want to start a new thread just for my question.

What do you guys think about the following, I plan to use them to carry 2 credit cards and 2 Ids. I know that one is a card case and not intended for credit cards, but does it really matter?

I dont like wallets because they give me a one inch raise, so that is not an option.

I like the second one and then the third the most.

Go for the Brioni, hands down. The Burberry is maybe too styling and obvious Burberry. Brioni is classic and understated.

I've always debated between a card case and wallet. My latest foray has been back into wallets, but again the 1" raise is a literal pain in the butt. If I wore suits all the time a breast wallet might work better, but that's not practical for me.

Anyway a card case is a happy medium, and I think it looks cool to carry a bit of cash loose like.

10. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

Which of these 3 as the second SC after the navy SC ? Fourth option is none of these 1. [​IMG] 2. [​IMG] 3. [​IMG]

11. Smudge

Smudge Senior member

^ I like the 3rd one. Deets please?

12. landshark

landshark Senior member

#2 Sportcoat. Grey is way more versatile than brown.

13. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^ I like the 3rd one. Deets please?

Riviera from ehaberdashre

14. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

15. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

It looks a little shiny in the pic and it has peak lapels

16. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Go for the Brioni, hands down. The Burberry is maybe too styling and obvious Burberry. Brioni is classic and understated.

I've always debated between a card case and wallet. My latest foray has been back into wallets, but again the 1" raise is a literal pain in the butt. If I wore suits all the time a breast wallet might work better, but that's not practical for me.

Anyway a card case is a happy medium, and I think it looks cool to carry a bit of cash loose like.

thanks for the reply, I think that is what I am going to go with. I like the Burberry one but as you said it seems too much of a cry for attention. I currently have a Polo RL check card holder and it works just fine but I am hoping that the Brioni one feels better. I am hoping that it does because there is a huge price difference between the two. I considered the crocodile one as well, but from the little that I have read, I realized that it is not rare crocodile skin and that would defeat the purpose in my opinion.

17. Galix

Galix Senior member

EDIT: sorry, didn't realize I answered to a 6 months old post.

18. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

^^ DId you have a look at the ones luk-cha is selling in the B&S. BTW, lots of options on ebay as well

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Which of these 3 as the second SC after the navy SC ? Fourth option is none of these

#2 is killer, AJ.

20. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

#2 Sportcoat. Grey is way more versatile than brown.

Really ? A lot of people would strongly disagree with your assertion. There was a big debate over this but I can't find the thad right now [​IMG]