• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D.

The SW&D thread got started with this

Originally Posted by kronik
So, a lot of times I really like a piece and I'm sometimes curious as to what other people think of its wearability or how good of an idea it actually is. The allure of sales over the years have made many people buy B&S-destined clothing. This is the opportune place to see if you should buy that pink sweater (yes) or gold floral tuxedo shirt (no). Maybe you think you can size down where you probably shouldn't? You could also use this thread to recommend cheaper alternatives to posted items.

I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.

Best regards

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies
onslow-burg-front.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.
Did I miss a fight somewhere?
So, 1st question ... This CJ Onslow is available at Bodiley's sale in burgundy cordovan. I dont have any burgundy shoes nor do I have any cordovan shoes. Any thoughts as to 1. How versatile is the color for a conservative dresser 2. Does it go better with business clothes (suits with ties ) or casual 3. Can it be worn with raw jeans Thanks for your replies
1. Very versatile, on par with brown (see: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=115320) 2. I would say business casual to casual 3. Yes in term of appropriateness, but no idea how good/bad they will be without seeing the actually combination (jeans color, cuff/not-cuff, jeans cut, etc.,).

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
Did I miss a fight somewhere?

No fight, it's just that holymadness takes starting new threads rather personally and is not hesitant in voicing his opinion.
smile.gif

jmoody15

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
3. Yes in term of appropriateness, but no idea how good/bad they will be without seeing the actually combination (jeans color, cuff/not-cuff, jeans cut, etc.,).

Cuffed jeans?

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D.

The SW&D thread got started with this

I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads.

Best regards

Hmmm.. I'm tempted often to post a new thread on a unknown brand or a good deal.

This thread will be unreadable soon. It would be nice it you get an answer in a few minutes, otherwise your question will be quickly burried under different posts. What about a new subforum dedicated to this type of questions?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clausc
Hmmm.. I'm tempted often to post a new thread on a unknown brand or a good deal.

This thread will be unreadable soon. It would be nice it you get an answer in a few minutes, otherwise your question will be quickly burried under different posts. What about a new subforum dedicated to this type of questions?

The SWD thread is 572 pages currently. I have used it a couple of times and found the concept appealing. That is the reason for starting this thread. Whether it works here depends on other members.

Doxe

Reaction score
aj_del,

The burgundy would look good with darker jeans. Burgundy would also look good with the grey flannel suits you have. Ox-blood is best with the grey, but burgundy is nice.

hobscrk777

Reaction score
Should I buy a navy blazer? I'm considering the RL Rugby blazer. It's got patch pockets (a must, if you ask me), slim lapels, and a satisfactory drop. I could get it for about $350, but I don't think I'd really have the opportunity to wear it much in the near future since I'm still in college for the remainder of the year. Nonetheless, I've sort of been itching to buy one for awhile. I suppose I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying this and putting the $350 to better use
tongue.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hobscrk777
Should I buy a navy blazer? I'm considering the RL Rugby blazer. It's got patch pockets (a must, if you ask me), slim lapels, and a satisfactory drop. I could get it for about $350, but I don't think I'd really have the opportunity to wear it much in the near future since I'm still in college for the remainder of the year. Nonetheless, I've sort of been itching to buy one for awhile. I suppose I'm really looking for someone to talk me out of buying this and putting the $350 to better use
tongue.gif

A Navy Blazer is a wardrobe staple. It is one of the most versatile things you can own and is something that is great to start your wardrobe with. Many (like me) have multiple blue blazers. I have a lighter one for warmer weather and a heavier one for winter

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This Peal & Co. (by C & J) wingtip blucher as a substitute for the Polo Darlton cordovan one which I am unable to find currently.
pealandcowingtipblucherbbcom.jpg

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Larson McCord
A Navy Blazer is a wardrobe staple. It is one of the most versatile things you can own and is something that is great to start your wardrobe with. Many (like me) have multiple blue blazers. I have a lighter one for warmer weather and a heavier one for winter

+1000. I have one in seersucker, one in heavyweight hopsack, and one in 4 season Dormeuil.

onslow-burg-front.jpg

Beautiful shoes man...I'd wear em, and I love that color of cordovan, like the Alden #8

This Peal & Co. (by C & J) wingtip blucher as a substitute for the Polo Darlton cordovan one which I am unable to find currently.

pealandcowingtipblucherbbcom.jpg

Another nice looking shoe, however, I wouldn't get it as a replacement for the Darlton, because you know eventually you're gonna find it and buy it. They're too different to be looked at like that imo.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Why isn't there a thread in MC similar to the 'Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?' in SW&D. The SW&D thread got started with this I think it will be great idea to have something like this here in MC. That way I can get SF opinion without having to start a new thread every time and getting slapped by holymadness for starting too many new threads. Best regards
...and quite right too.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads