• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I ditch my friend?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
He's probably an alcoholic. I would try to get him help for the drinking first.
This was my thought. If you ask someone not to get ridiculous at your friend's party, and they cannot ever help themselves from it, well that might be a sign that he has a drinking problem.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
keep him, he's the only one of your friends so far that isn't fickle.

Might be time to get him to stop drinking.

msza

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Might be time to get him to stop drinking.

Easier said than done. I've asked him about stopping and he said "that's the last thing [he's] prepared to do."

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you say he has a pretty bad drinking problem.

If you've made a concerted effort to address his drinking problem and the consequences, it sounds like he's ignoring what you say as he's addicted to drinking so refuses to accept or believe the negative reality, so he can keep on drinking.

I'm afraid people need to learn the hard way sometimes, to give them a wake up call. If you've done your best to try and persuade him he has an alcohol problem, and he still ignores you - you should ditch your friend in social situations IMO.

When enough people ditch him, and enough bad things happen, he'll start listening to what everyone is telling him. Then he'll stop the drinking and return to being the good guy you know him as.

It's a tough call as things can get really ugly before they get better.

Originally Posted by msza
I have a friend who, once or twice a year, gets so wasted that he basically becomes an animal. I mean, he completely loses his ability to reason. When he does, he often makes a complete ass out of himself and me as a result. Once, he tried to grab my friend's boss's boobs and spilled wine on her. Another time, he accosted another woman until she left the party we were at. Both times, the people who hosted stopped hanging out with me since I brought my friend in question.

When he is sober, he is a great friend -- he has done some very nice things for me, but are these grievances enough for me to think about ditching him for good? I mean, I dont want to bring him around any new people I met because there is always the chance that he will get blackout drunk and assault someone. I have tried to address his drinking problem with him, but he doesnt seem to get it because he never remembers the stupid **** he does.

Should I ditch him? Yes or no, please.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely stop hanging out with someone if they behaved in such a manner and refused my attempts to correct their behavior.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
what if one day you have a wife and/or daughter,you want this guy around them at a family function? (unless you are a really good liar and not invite him over by making up good excuse(s) for the rest of your life)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No excuse for behavior like this from an adult. Sounds like he has a problem that needs to be dealt with... seems to me that things will only get worse otherwise.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a friend who, once or twice a year, gets so wasted that he basically becomes an animal. I mean, he completely loses his ability to reason. When he does, he often makes a complete ass out of himself and me as a result. Once, he tried to grab my friend's boss's boobs and spilled wine on her. Another time, he accosted another woman until she left the party we were at. Both times, the people who hosted stopped hanging out with me since I brought my friend in question.

When he is sober, he is a great friend -- he has done some very nice things for me, but are these grievances enough for me to think about ditching him for good? I mean, I dont want to bring him around any new people I met because there is always the chance that he will get blackout drunk and assault someone. I have tried to address his drinking problem with him, but he doesnt seem to get it because he never remembers the stupid **** he does.

I have a friend like this. He is a good guy but do not take him to work-related events.

robbz9206

Reaction score
He shouldn't be someone you bring to a party. It is your fault your old friends didn't approve of him.
musicboohoo[1].gif

ff_alcoholics_anonymous_f.jpg

adidasfan

Reaction score
i have to say keep being a friend but dont go out to events with new people.
sounds like a fun chap

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score

dude does everyone have to consult an internet forum on basic social decisions???

he is a great friend to you but does stupid things at parties and social situations with drinking.

obviously the answer is:

dont ditch him.
dont bring him to these events.

how does anyone get through life if they cant even answer these things on their own???

you cant life counsel your own life?

"i have a coworker who is so great to work with but when we have lunch he spits on my face everytime....WTF should i do???? should i quit my job????"

lol

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member