• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoes: Your cost/value/style sweet spot

IBJanky

Reaction score
$600-$700 is my limit when it comes to a really nice pair of shoes.

Most of mine only cost about $400-$450 though. C&J benchgrades.

myke

ShaneB

Reaction score
£500 is my limit, and it would have to be something pretty damn good; I'd stretch to £700 (for a pair of G&G) but I'd have to justify the buy by saving a little.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ShaneB
£500 is my limit, and it would have to be something pretty damn good; I'd stretch to £700 (for a pair of G&G) but I'd have to justify the buy by saving a little.

500 quid is alot of money for 1 pair of shoes.

I guess the question for you is: How many 500 quid do you have set aside, to buy shoes?

1 pair of shoes a month?

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jangofett

I guess the question for you is: How many 500 quid do you have set aside, to buy shoes?

1 pair of shoes a month?

No not that much. I'm on a decent salary but even so I limit myself to about £300 - £400 a month on clothing (usually on the lower end), if it's something I particularly want then I'll make amendments to my budget the following month (ie spend a smaller amount or nothing at all). If it's something quite pricey then I'll save up - I could just blow 500 quid in one go but I'd find it quite galling and as others have said, I'm not at the 'burn money like crazy' stage in my life. I certainly can't justify that. At this moment in time though I'm saving up for a house so I'm not spending all that much at all (and houses in London are stupidly expensive).

Bear in mind as well that I'm in England so it's easier for me to get better deals on English shoes than some of my American peers.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1 pair of shoes a month?

Are you buying 12 pairs a year? For how long?

I might buy two or three pairs a year. Of course I don't really need any
eh.gif

ShaneB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola

eh.gif

Same here. There's a distinct paucity on the shoe front in my wardrobe at the moment then I'm attempting to amend, but generally I most definitely would not be buying a pair a month (unless there's a deal on). To be honest, I'm more of an opportunistic buyer - I'll get things that I like as I find them at cut price.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Same here. There's a distinct paucity on the shoe front in my wardrobe at the moment that I'm attempting to amend, but generally I most definitely would not be buying a pair a month (unless there's a deal on). To be honest, I'm more of an opportunistic buyer - I'll get things that I like as I find them at cut price.

+1

Jangofett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola

eh.gif

Honestly, I got more than a dozen pairs of unworn shoes with me right now.

Unworn simply because there is no space to put them once I wear them, unless I put them on the floor, which would make it seem like I am having tons of visitors everyday.

I've got like 5 new Lobbs, combination of Prestiges, St Crepin and JLP, 4 French label shoes and other shoes SF would scoff at.

The challenge is culling those unneeded to make space for my collection. But like all loved children, I cant bear to let many of them go.

I really dont know why I need so many shoes but I just cant frigging stop!!!

So to answer your question, I buy tons of shoes a year.

Jangofett

Reaction score
At this moment in time though I'm saving up for a house so I'm not spending all that much at all (and houses in London are stupidly expensive).

Bear in mind as well that I'm in England so it's easier for me to get better deals on English shoes than some of my American peers.

Thank god I am not in Northampton. I would be there like every lunch break bugging the staff for new releases.

Anyway, I always see on the telly nice places in Knightsbridge and Chelsea for few hundred grand? Isnt that affordable for you with a mortgage etc?

Jangofett

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm more of an opportunistic buyer - I'll get things that I like as I find them at cut price.

I used to be like you. But really, how often do sweet deals come along?
Unless you are a regular at the Red Cross and you are so damn lucky all the time.

So if you see a pair you like and in your exact size, pay a bit more and get it, as long as its below or well below the RRP.

After all, do you see Lobb museum calf St Crepin all the time? Or EG in Croc? Or beautifully patinaed Berlutis?

ShaneB

Reaction score
Thank god I am not in Northampton. I would be there like every lunch break bugging the staff for new releases.

Anyway, I always see on the telly nice places in Knightsbridge and Chelsea for few hundred grand? Isnt that affordable for you with a mortgage etc?

A few hundred grand!? I wish! You can't get a decent house in outer London for less than £300 thousand; and you're looking at about £350 thousand (starting) in Chelsea for just a basic 1, possibly 2, bedroon flat.

Jangofett

Reaction score
A few hundred grand!? I wish! You can't get a decent house in outer London for less than £300 thousand; and you're looking at about £350 thousand (starting) in Chelsea for just a basic 1, possibly 2, bedroon flat.

Yah I am referring to those. I always see adverts for them when I am watching the footie on the telly.

ShaneB

Reaction score
I used to be like you. But really, how often do sweet deals come along?
Unless you are a regular at the Red Cross and you are so damn lucky all the time.

So if you see a pair you like and in your exact size, pay a bit more and get it, as long as its below or well below the RRP.

After all, do you see Lobb museum calf St Crepin all the time? Or EG in Croc? Or beautifully patinaed Berlutis?

Oh no, I do pay retail for those things I do especially like, I merely meant that in most instances I'd buy / or have a nice range of shoes that were bought entirely at cut price. I can get good deals on C&J, Grenson Rose or EG, and I can travel up to Northampton to get even better deals than those on the net , but that doesn't mean I'd desist in buying, say, a pair of G&G just because they're not in sale.

ShaneB

Reaction score
Yah I am referring to those. I always see adverts for them when I am watching the footie on the telly.

To be honest, I wouldn't waste my money on a flat in Chelsea. I'd rather pay the same amount for a nice town house in Teddington or Richmond. But generally speaking, you'll need at the very minimum 250 grand for a house in London.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads