• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

snap!  

yeah best of both worlds-  the American styling with an awsm last.   love this shoe -  great choice

snap, i give you the third for comparison.

courtesy of fellow member asian afro

cruz9.jpg

stealth blue

SteelBlue1.jpg

classic

094.jpg

041-1.jpg

Bild009-1.jpg

DSC_2722.jpg

DSC_2877.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ok and your point????? There is always a turd in the punch bowl somewhere.

The better part of wisdom might then be to either not put it in there or at least look before you drink.

My point was simply to draw people to a "common" language--one that has been recognized and used for hundreds of years. In other words, if you do not know the names of the components that go into making a shoe perhaps it is time to rethink.

There is no part of a shoe that is called a "thistle" and if I read your post correctly you've misidentifed the vamp and/or the leather on the vamp.

Not a a big thing...but not a small thing either when posting to a forum that enjoys a certain cachet for authenticity and expertise.

--

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Last edited:

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/B] Not Dovers - but I still really like them...These should make someones Head Explode!

Love these too. I have a pair in country calf on the 202.....Strangely roomy in the heel compared to my other shoes in the same size and last. Not sure why.

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4323.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

Last edited:

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The better part of wisdom might then be to either not put it in there or at least look before you drink.
My point was simply to draw people to a "common" language--one that has been recognized and used for hundreds of years. In other words, if you do not know the names of the components that go into making a shoe perhaps it is time to rethink.
There is no part of a shoe that is called a "thistle" and if I read your post correctly you've misidentifed the vamp and/or the leather on the vamp.
Not a a big thing...but not a small thing either when posting to a forum that enjoys a certain cachet for authenticity and expertise.
--
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Twice you have corrected me and been wrong. Generally, I am not viewed as a highly disputatious individual--I like peace in my interactions with others. I am begining to believe you, sir, are a jackass.

Thistle as a part of the shoe??? Really??? Cult of ignorance??? :rotflmao:

Last edited:

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sri,
Thanks for clarifying for DW. Sometimes we are so knowledgeable we are incapable of learning.

B, sometimes we also need to listen, even if what is being said is *completely* opposite to our experiences, esp when it is coming from a stalwart teacher -- there is a chance that we might actually learn something new :) I've seen this over and over in my (albeit short) career and it is worth thinking about.

My age is smaller than DW's experience, so I bow to his expertise -- there are points that I disagree with him as well but as far as footwear goes, he really is an expert -- not to mention a very coherent teacher. Even with all the "jokes" about gemming explosions and what not, his points on RTW shoes stand. Not all of us can afford handmade/bespoke and not all of us need to, either -- but he certainly has a point about the easy gratification that we get from RTW (high end or low end, doesn't matter) and the quality standards that exist in RTW items. If the motive is money, then standards do suffer -- we might not see them or even experience them in the item's lifetime, but where does one draw the line wr.t to the compromises made? Just something to ponder about, and I beleive that is part of DW's message here. He is not here to belittle anyone's choices or taste, but rather opposite: making you *think* about those choices and what they bring to the table, and showing what truly is possible when you move away from monetary gains being the main motive.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong DW.

The "thistle" referred to in the original posting is a specific EG toe medallion. See the link below.
http://www.styleforum.net/t/231731/niche-fetish-shoe-p0rn-medallions-only

The shoes in question don't have a thistle medallion as I can see. Do they, Burton?

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Twice you have corrected me and been wrong. Generally, I am not viewed as a highly disputatious individual--I like peace in my interactions with others. I am begining to believe you, sir, are a jackass.
Thistle as a part of the shoe??? Really??? Cult of ignorance??? :rotflmao:

:lurk:

Here comes a 5 page battle.

cwh812

Reaction score

In real life I'm "PC", the person that put in the original MTO for the crup Sandringham at LS. I was specifically going for the "American wing-tip" look. The best way to get that look in an EG was to pick the right last (202), sole (danite or double leather), welt (fudge), and material (crup). I know this shoe is a bit controversial, but they are one of my favorites. Regardless, I actually think that most EG wingtips look distinct from American wing-tips. EG lasts are generally too sleek to look like gunboats.

Awesome. I really like your EG collection.:slayer: I ordered a pair of the crup Sandringham's from LS when they got them after your order. Awesome shoe. I am really also tempted for my next MTO to be the Dover in the mink suede you recently posted. I like your EG taste.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Awesome. I really like your EG collection.:slayer: I ordered a pair of the crup Sandringham's from LS when they got them after your order. Awesome shoe. I am really also tempted for my next MTO to be the Dover in the mink suede you recently posted. I like your EG taste.

Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads