Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

snap, i give you the third for comparison.

courtesy of fellow member asian afro

[​IMG]

stealth blue

[​IMG]

classic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

These are great. Especially the oxblood pair in the last photo. Stunning.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

vox will appreciate your opinion about his shoes.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

The better part of wisdom might then be to either not put it in there or at least look before you drink.

My point was simply to draw people to a "common" language--one that has been recognized and used for hundreds of years. In other words, if you do not know the names of the components that go into making a shoe perhaps it is time to rethink.

There is no part of a shoe that is called a "thistle" and if I read your post correctly you've misidentifed the vamp and/or the leather on the vamp.

Not a a big thing...but not a small thing either when posting to a forum that enjoys a certain cachet for authenticity and expertise.

--

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

5. srivats

srivats Senior member

DW, I believe he was referring to the brogue pattern below on his shoes:

6. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

7. earthdragon

earthdragon Senior member

Not Dovers - but I still really like them...These should make someones Head Explode!
    [​IMG]

8. jerrybrowne

Love these too. I have a pair in country calf on the 202.....Strangely roomy in the heel compared to my other shoes in the same size and last. Not sure why.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

Sri,

Thanks for clarifying for DW. Sometimes we are so knowledgeable we are incapable of learning.

10. Burton

Burton Senior member

Twice you have corrected me and been wrong. Generally, I am not viewed as a highly disputatious individual--I like peace in my interactions with others. I am begining to believe you, sir, are a jackass.

Thistle as a part of the shoe??? Really??? Cult of ignorance??? :rotflmao:

11. LynahFaithful

LynahFaithful Senior member

12. srivats

srivats Senior member

B, sometimes we also need to listen, even if what is being said is *completely* opposite to our experiences, esp when it is coming from a stalwart teacher -- there is a chance that we might actually learn something new :) I've seen this over and over in my (albeit short) career and it is worth thinking about.

My age is smaller than DW's experience, so I bow to his expertise -- there are points that I disagree with him as well but as far as footwear goes, he really is an expert -- not to mention a very coherent teacher. Even with all the "jokes" about gemming explosions and what not, his points on RTW shoes stand. Not all of us can afford handmade/bespoke and not all of us need to, either -- but he certainly has a point about the easy gratification that we get from RTW (high end or low end, doesn't matter) and the quality standards that exist in RTW items. If the motive is money, then standards do suffer -- we might not see them or even experience them in the item's lifetime, but where does one draw the line wr.t to the compromises made? Just something to ponder about, and I beleive that is part of DW's message here. He is not here to belittle anyone's choices or taste, but rather opposite: making you *think* about those choices and what they bring to the table, and showing what truly is possible when you move away from monetary gains being the main motive.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong DW.

The shoes in question don't have a thistle medallion as I can see. Do they, Burton?

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:lurk:

Here comes a 5 page battle.

14. cwh812

cwh812 Senior member

Awesome. I really like your EG collection.:slayer: I ordered a pair of the crup Sandringham's from LS when they got them after your order. Awesome shoe. I am really also tempted for my next MTO to be the Dover in the mink suede you recently posted. I like your EG taste.

15. jerrybrowne

Thank you!