Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oyaji, Feb 20, 2010.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I see a thistle...it is punched into the leather of the quarter.

It is decoration. As such, it is not a component of the shoe. It is not calf, it is not scotch grain, it is air.

Yes, despite mis-identifying the vamp, I knew what you were talking about. But if we all start using made-up and make-believe terminology for parts of the shoe, it won't be long before no one can understand the other person. We'll all be back to grunts and slapping the ground. Or Twitter. Wait...

And the truth is that such laziness --the unwillingness to get it right; the impulse to cavalierly impose your own words and definitions on top of an already existing lexicon--is the hallmark of disrespect and arrogance.

Yes, it is ignorance to call the toe cap the vamp. It is ignorance to call the quarter a "thistle" just because it has a thistle shape punched into the leather. That or perversity.

And, in turn, I am just perverse enough to insist that we respect the maker and the shoe...and each other ...enough to try to use a common lexicon. If only for the sake of the folks here who wouldn't know that not all shoes have a "thistle"...simply because it is not an an identifiable part/component of the shoe.

Of course that only applies if we want to have an intelligent conversation.

BTW...we are all born ignorant--there is no sin in it. It's the refusal to acknowlege it that pushes a person over the line...into stupidity.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. _AMD

_AMD Senior member

FWIW, I read the original post completely different. I read it as Burton listing off the reasons that he likes the shoes eg: the types of leather used, the color, and the presence of a thistle. I read nothing in the post that indicates that Burton believes that the thistle is made up of leather, or is some physical component of the shoe. Simply that it is a design feature of this pair of shoes which he appreciates.

Aaron

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

EG fans know about the thistle and all that comes with it. Aspiring fans and other learn later. Here's when I learned about it thanks to those more knowledgeable at the time (and some even now) than I.

4. DWFII

I did not read it that way. But if that's the way it was meant then my attempt to establish a common lexicon was misguided.

That said, in a real sense, the thistle is not a "design feaure" either. It is a "design" in the sense that it is ornamentation but it is not essential the way any other design feature would be--such as the shape of the toe cap or the counter; or the contrasting texture between the full grain calf and the scotch grain.

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

Confirmed. You are a jackass. The worst mistakes are generally made by those with expert knowledge and the worst of those are by experts unwilling to admit when they are wrong. You fit into both categories.

To Spoo's post, you aren't worth five pages of type.

6. Burton

Burton Senior member

Thank you. You are a man of significantly more patience than myself.

7. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

If there were a better opposite emoticon to this: :lurk:

Then I would post it.

8. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

A 'hardcore' favorite courtesy of georges5...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. _AMD

_AMD Senior member

Again, nobody, with the exception of you, has used the word essential in reference to the thistle. It was simply noted that Burton likes the damn thing.

Aaron

10. DWFII

A self-congratulatory opinion steeped in convenience. And one that places ignorance above knowledge.

But opinions are like assholes...everyone has one, but not all are worth sniffing. Some even define the man.

It bears repeating if only because it is so apropos...

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

11. Burton

Burton Senior member

You're a dick.

12. DWFII

A design "feature" would be essential to the shape and construction of the shoe. Unless you want to redefine the terminology, as well.

BTW...if you go back to my original post on this matter, I simply observed that Burton's post was misleading in that it used words and terminology improperly...or at least that's the way I read it.

Overall my remarks were pretty neutral. And relatively patient.

I reacted to Burtons self-identified impatience mildly as well.

Up to a point.

It ihas always been my observation that the least patient are the most uncertain and insecure...but that's just an opinion.

13. DWFII

I think I'd rather be defined by that part of my anatomy than the part you're using to define yourself.

So...thank you for that...

:fonz:

14. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you ever know when to stop???

15. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Very nice reply