• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are obviously not afraid to be noticed.....not me... but they are bloody awesome in a 'totally out there' sort of way.

Agreed. "Balls Shoes" to be sure... but most here know I approve of such things. Epic for uniqueness alone, and noteworthy for the top quality work.

Last edited:

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausc

Not sure if a pair of Carmina would be preferable to 2 Santoni on sale.

this is not even a question, imo.

You are right. I should know, I have more than 200 pairs of shoes and should go for quality. I have about 10 pairs of Santoni and like their modern lasts for everyday wear. I'm loyal to specific shoe brands and if I start buying Carmina, I will not stop at one pair. My 'problem' with Carmina is that I never found them on sale, so not so good value for me, which I know is a wrong theory.

bullswin

Reaction score

You are right. I should know, I have more than 200 pairs of shoes and should go for quality. I have about 10 pairs of Santoni and like their modern lasts for everyday wear. I'm loyal to specific shoe brands and if I start buying Carmina, I will not stop at one pair. My 'problem' with Carmina is that I never found them on sale, so not so good value for me, which I know is a wrong theory.

Tell me about it! :D

I bought my first pair of Carminas two months ago and I'm now up to five pairs purchased! This is coming from a guy with just nine total pairs of shoes in my collection.

isshinryu101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are right. I should know, I have more than 200 pairs of shoes and should go for quality.

HA! I thought my 66 pairs was excessive! Just a drop in the pan, so it seems. I'm going to tell the wife right now... I don't have ENOUGH shoes yet!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HA! I thought my 66 pairs was excessive! Just a drop in the pan, so it seems. I'm going to tell the wife right now... I don't have ENOUGH shoes yet!

Sell him some of your vintage shoes. He needs to go in a different direction to post-modern.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I would rather have 3 nice pairs of shoes than 200 pairs of ****, which based on what he wrote seems like he mostly has.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So you don't like the Corthay 01 last..used on the Arca which many here consider a grail shoe?

Why is it considered a grail shoe? I have Corthay's and not the Arca... It's not like it is a further reach than any of the other shoes posted here. Grail shoes are bespoke shoes.

Last edited:

Harrydog

Reaction score

Why is it considered a grail shoe? I have Corthay's and not the Arca... It's not like it is a further reach than any of the other shoes posted here. Grail shoes are bespoke shoes.

I have simply heard it referred to as such here in the forum. This usually comes up when i shoe appears on B&S and it isn't in the poster's size. In these cases, they are not bespoke but highly sought after shoes from that paricular maker. I am not going to quibble about the word. A number of people have tended to see it as Corthay's definitive shoe. It is certainly the most featured shoe on their website. I am fine with people seeing the 01 last critically, but Corthay seems to have two main lasts - 01 and 02. If the 01 last is "too out there," then that sets aside much of what Corthay produces. That is fine.

Which Corthay do you own? A neat thread would be to debate which single shoe from each maker best captures what that maker is about. For example, what is the quintessential Edward Green? I suspect some might claim the Dover. But ultimately, it is all subjective.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Grail shoes are shoes that either:

a) one aspires to acquire new at some point but can't justify the cost right now,
b) one can acquire right now but cannot find (or no longer in production, see my grail shoe, the RLPL/EG Addison in edwardian antique).

Grail shoes wouldn't be bespoke because one doesn't know how the final product would look, except in one's mind. Also, many bespoken shoes are str8 ugly.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads