• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
these came saturday and I finally got around to posting a pic.

b5e9743f.jpg

clausc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just returned from a short trip to Spain. I spent two mornings doing some shopping in Madrid. As I did not have much time, I went first to Salamanca, to El Corte Ingles department store. As there were still some items left from the winter sale (50% off and another 10% 'tourist' reduction), I purchased a Corneliani blazer, Jacob Cohen jeans and 3 pairs of shoes (Santoni boots and cap toes, Lottusse single monks). There were plenty of tempting shoes on sale (F. Rossetti, Bruno Magli, Santoni, A. Testoni, Church's, Yanko, etc). They also had a decent selection of Carmina.

There were indeed (as other member mentioned a few weeks ago here) lots of interesting small shops in the Salamanca area. I checked the Meermin shop on A. Coello street, GY shoes starting from 140 euros (finishing and leather quality not so great) to some more expensive (270), beveled waist, nice last. There was even a 7eme largeur shop (unfortunately closed when I passed). In the Chueca area there were plenty of outlet shops with GY shoes made in Spain but with dubious English names (prices around 100 euros). For a bit above this price range I preferred Lottusse.

I visited 2 Carmina shops in and was really charmed by the offers. I would have probably bought a pair if I would have not blown my budget before. Not sure if a pair of Carmina would be preferable to 2 Santoni on sale.

A few phone pics of Carmina window shops

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
those carmina tassel loafers are the secks.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked these up today at Saks in NYC.

Model is the Belphegor - A Ghillie version of the Arca.
They have a nice style selection (about 8 styles including a black Arca with red piping accents; an Arca monk; an Arca ankle boot; an Arca Chelsea boot)

Good taste aside, please spill on price.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

Picked these up today at Saks in NYC.

Model is the Belphegor - A Ghillie version of the Arca.
They have a nice style selection (about 8 styles including a black Arca with red piping accents; an Arca monk; an Arca ankle boot; an Arca Chelsea boot)

:drool: great toe.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Good taste aside, please spill on price.

Pretty standard for Corthay I think (when looking at Leffot prices)

Prices ranged from 1300-1450 with trees. I think these were about 1400.

I assume Leffot will continue to carry Corthay and host MTO events. At present Leffot's stock is pretty depleted. It was great to see Saks stock such a nice range. I am an impulsive shopper, and the six month lag time on many MTO ends up being a little off-putting.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pretty standard for Corthay I think (when looking at Leffot prices)
Prices ranged from 1300-1450 with trees. I think these were about 1400.
I assume Leffot will continue to carry Corthay and host MTO events. At present Leffot's stock is pretty depleted. It was great to see Saks stock such a nice range. I am an impulsive shopper, and the six month lag time on many MTO ends up being a little off-putting.

Got it. Thx!

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just returned from a short trip to Spain. I spent two mornings doing some shopping in Madrid. As I did not have much time, I went first to Salamanca, to El Corte Ingles department store. As there were still some items left from the winter sale (50% off and another 10% 'tourist' reduction), I purchased a Corneliani blazer, Jacob Cohen jeans and 3 pairs of shoes (Santoni boots and cap toes, Lottusse single monks). There were plenty of tempting shoes on sale (F. Rossetti, Bruno Magli, Santoni, A. Testoni, Church's, Yanko, etc). They also had a decent selection of Carmina.

There were indeed (as other member mentioned a few weeks ago here) lots of interesting small shops in the Salamanca area. I checked the Meermin shop on A. Coello street, GY shoes starting from 140 euros (finishing and leather quality not so great) to some more expensive (270), beveled waist, nice last. There was even a 7eme largeur shop (unfortunately closed when I passed). In the Chueca area there were plenty of outlet shops with GY shoes made in Spain but with dubious English names (prices around 100 euros). For a bit above this price range I preferred Lottusse.
I visited 2 Carmina shops in and was really charmed by the offers. I would have probably bought a pair if I would have not blown my budget before. Not sure if a pair of Carmina would be preferable to 2 Santoni on sale.
A few phone pics of Carmina window shops

Thx for the sic pics- carmina is
inlove.gif

these came saturday and I finally got around to posting a pic.
b5e9743f.jpg

damn these are sweet! something about the coloring

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is the original 'Windsor' (with the cricket club medallion) which hasn't been in production since the 1980s. Tony Gaziano (when he worked for EG) did run a special edition for the members of the London Lounge. As the punches for the original perforations have been lost, they were substituted with stock designs.
EGDerbys.jpg

http://www.styleforum.net/t/255661/vintage-edward-green-john-hlustiks-windsor
Here is member 'PhiloVance' (who must be the world's leading authority on the 'Windsors') discussing the design features.
http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011/07/vintage-edward-green-john-hlustiks.html
[/quote]

Just saw this - damn nice find Ishi. I'll be PM'ing regarding the availability of those Windsors shortly :)

And thanks for the kind words, Bengal-Stripe, although "authority" might be a bit much - but certainly the world's biggest Windsor fan.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a question. If it is a Wednesday and really humid, is it ok to use lasted shoe trees? Because the leather should be a bit swollen due to the moisture in the air and it might stretch out the shoes too much. Of course, if there is percipitation in the air on a Wendesday one shouldn't use trees at all, however if it is a Saturday during the winter, the dryness would require the use of lasted trees, correct? But, what about if the axis of the earth is changing like in spring and it is a Friday and not humid yet like in August, should I use lasted or regular trees, if regular how tight should they be that the dryness won't crack the leather, or over stretch the shoe? :confused:

always use shoe trees

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads