• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

ClosetEvolution

Reaction score
New question:
What type of brushes would you recommend for working with alcohol based dye? I seem to remember reading badger somewhere, but am looking for more input.
Thanks

Yellowevo84

Reaction score

New question:
What type of brushes would you recommend for working with alcohol based dye? I seem to remember reading badger somewhere, but am looking for more input.
Thanks

Badger is good if you can find it for a good price but it can be expensive. Some of the soft synthetic brushes are good also and easier to find

Last edited:

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds that got a change. The client didn't care for the lighter toe so wanted a different look.

Before

After

ClosetEvolution

Reaction score
@Yellowevo84
Thank you. I hope to start experimenting end of this month or beginning of next. I've read through this thread once already, any final tips before I purchase equipment?

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
quote name="ClosetEvolution" url="/t/45530/shoe-antiquing/480#post_8533805"]@Yellowevo84
Thank you. I hope to start experimenting end of this month or beginning of next. I've read through this thread once already, any final tips before I purchase equipment?[/quote]

Prepping the leather properly is key to a good job.

SyWarren

Reaction score
So many good works here! Hope to post my own here soon
biggrin.gif

flvinny521

Reaction score
After some lengthy PMs back and forth wirth @Yellowevo84 (many thanks for your time), I got my shoes to a nice dark brown without too much red tint. However, in sunlight, there is an ugly yellow undertone to them. Would this indicate that the dye didn't penetrate deep enough? I haven't used cream or wax yet because I've been using alcohol to lighten the color in certain areas and then conditioning again to blend and even out the color. Is there anything I can do short of applying another layer of dye (which will make the shoes much too dark again), or should I just use cream polish and hope that covers up the ugly yellow?

These shoes were second-hand Allen Edmonds that I was going to replace anyway, so I'm treating this exercise as a training session.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score

After some lengthy PMs back and forth wirth @Yellowevo84
(many thanks for your time), I got my shoes to a nice dark brown without too much red tint. However, in sunlight, there is an ugly yellow undertone to them. Would this indicate that the dye didn't penetrate deep enough? I haven't used cream or wax yet because I've been using alcohol to lighten the color in certain areas and then conditioning again to blend and even out the color. Is there anything I can do short of applying another layer of dye (which will make the shoes much too dark again), or should I just use cream polish and hope that covers up the ugly yellow?

These shoes were second-hand Allen Edmonds that I was going to replace anyway, so I'm treating this exercise as a training session.

This could be a sign the dyes didn't penetrate enough or the shoes were not stripped enough. There could be many reasons and why we all say that you learn through trial and error. Once you put on polish it will change things.

ClosetEvolution

Reaction score
Ordered my alcohol based dyes and denatured alcohol yesterday. Already got my Decant and Dubbin Graisse. My adventure into custom patina will soon begin!

Buster Brown

Reaction score
Awesome work @Yellowevo84! I've got a couple old pairs of shoes that I really need to find the time to mess around with. Thanks for the inspiration :slayer:

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Awesome work @Yellowevo84 ! I've got a couple old pairs of shoes that I really need to find the time to mess around with. Thanks for the inspiration
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Thanks for the kind words. The clients loved them so that's all that matters to me. Post some pics of your work when you get around to working on them.

jokb

Reaction score
Awesome work with these!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads