• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Newest work. A pair of carmina Chelsea boots by skoaktiebolaget. Original photo is taken by from there website.(no copyright intended)

Before

After

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Newest work. A pair of carmina Chelsea boots by skoaktiebolaget. Original photo is taken by from there website.(no copyright intended)

Before

After

Amazing work. How did you achieve such a deep and dark burnish on the toe? Is this many many layers of black paste wax, done over a couple of hours/days? I've been trying to get this effect on a pair of my Crockett and Jones Westbournes, but haven't had this level of success.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score

Amazing work. How did you achieve such a deep and dark burnish on the toe? Is this many many layers of black paste wax, done over a couple of hours/days? I've been trying to get this effect on a pair of my Crockett and Jones Westbournes, but haven't had this level of success.

Nakedsnake this was a patina done on the entire boot then followed up with the shine. If you are looking for this look you can go the route of just using polishes but it's tedious, time consuming and you may never get the result you want. If you go the patina route for the most part it's permanent but gives you the look your after.

ClosetEvolution

Reaction score
Any advise on dying nubuck? I want to change the color an add some antiquing to a pair.

Also, this thread has been profoundly helpful. I plan to begin practicing the art of the patina in a couple months.

likenoother

Reaction score
anyone know how to mix colours to get reddish brown (usually called Polo) for Suede and how to prepare? still got the colours 04, 05 and red from Saphir here.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Cross-posting from the Shoe Care thread:

Next week I plan on trying to dye the spoilered shoes a darker brown color. You can see some significant discoloration and spottiness in the leather currently. When I received the shoes second-hand, I ended up using a darker brown polish, which didn't apply smoothly, and I later stripped the color with some naphtha. I think I rubbed too hard and took off some of the original color from the leather, so no matter what I do now, the color variations show through.

I bought some Fiebing's deglazer and dark brown dye. Do you recommend any other products to help establish a "solid" base to ensure more even color?

piyi

Reaction score
@likenoother I was wondering if you dyed your bag and what the results were. I have not tried to change the color of a bag, only touched up a black one a little. The idea of putting a finish on a bag, similar to some of the shoes I see here, would be interesting.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Cross-posting from the Shoe Care thread:

Next week I plan on trying to dye the spoilered shoes a darker brown color. You can see some significant discoloration and spottiness in the leather currently. When I received the shoes second-hand, I ended up using a darker brown polish, which didn't apply smoothly, and I later stripped the color with some naphtha. I think I rubbed too hard and took off some of the original color from the leather, so no matter what I do now, the color variations show through.

I bought some Fiebing's deglazer and dark brown dye. Do you recommend any other products to help establish a "solid" base to ensure more even color?

Sorry for the quick turnaround, but after reading the entire thread, I realized maybe my previous post wasn't on-target for my goal. I'll try again.

I would like to take a light brown pair of AE, and just try to dye them a solid darker brown color, as opposed to doing any antique finish for my first attempt. Should I still expect to use several different color dyes and move from lighter shades to darker if I plan on the whole shoe being more or less even? Is there any benefit to adding that extra depth, or can I just use the dye I intend as my final color?

BoomDiggs

Reaction score

Any advise on dying nubuck? I want to change the color an add some antiquing to a pair.

I assume dying nubuck is like dying suede, which I have done. My main point of advice would be to be VERY careful when taping off your soles. Make sure everything is well covered and that the tape is firmly pressed down. I thought I did a good job taping off my bucks but there are a few places on my soles where the dye dripped over and stained the sole.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Dying nubuck is the same as dying suede. Both absolutely drink dye so you want to be careful. Good preparation is the key to both nubuck and suede. if you plan on trying to antique it can be very difficult and end up very poor looking or blotchy(if thats even a word lol). You really want to have a good understanding of how colors are going to blend together and have something drawn out to work off of.

likenoother

Reaction score

Dying nubuck is the same as dying suede. Both absolutely drink dye so you want to be careful. Good preparation is the key to both nubuck and suede. if you plan on trying to antique it can be very difficult and end up very poor looking or blotchy(if thats even a word lol). You really want to have a good understanding of how colors are going to blend together and have something drawn out to work off of. 

thanks. have you any experience with mixing a reddish brown? Colour of the boots is sand so I guess it should work well. I got still Saphir 04, 05 and red here but Saphir Colourbook looks like 1x 04 with 2x 19.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
likenoother, brown already naturally has red in it. You can take a dk brown dye and add a slight hint of red dye to bring out the reds a little more. I don't work of the color books so I can't speak of what dye numbers are what. I would also highly suggest trying this on a scrap piece of leather first that is similar to the color of your boots. People often make the mistake of thinking the color of the dye they make will be the same once it goes on the leather.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of JM Weston's I'd like antiqued. The original finish was screwed up by rain and me. I ended up stripping the color off with Saphir Reno Mat thinking I can just antique it with layers of polish not realizing beforehand what I have is analine dyed leather, not crust. I don't have the desire to obtain the necessary materials and dyes to do the work myself. Can folks suggest some places I can send the shoes to in order to get them done, along with contact info? I'm not sure if Ron Rider offers this service anymore...

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads