Shanghai, Hong Kong & Beijing tips

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ville_e, Jan 30, 2012.

1. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

I will soon be visiting these three cities. I would be very grateful to hear some recommendations in terms of shopping, restaurants, sights, museums etc.

What is the best way to travel between these cities and in which order should one visit them?

Looking forward to reading your recommendations! It will be my first visit to China.

Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. tinsel

tinsel Well-Known Member

The best way would be to go south from Beijing through Shanghai to Hong Kong, or north the other way. It is generally much easier to get a visa to China in Hong Kong than in Europe so the latter might be preferable. I would fly to Hong Kong, then fly to Shanghai and then take the overnight sleeper train to Beijing.

3. saysomething

saysomething Well-Known Member

^ +1; although I would get the Chinese Visa prior to leaving. Although the hassle may be greater in Finland, at least it's on your home turf. If you decide to do HK mid-trip, ie. Bei -->HK-->Shg or reverse, remember you'll need a dual or multi entry Visa for the mainland.

I've always flown between Beijing and Shanghai, but subsequent trips will be done by train - sleeper or high speed.

In terms of recommendations, far too many to list without a given criteria; check tripadvisor and see what matches your tastes. If you're spending more than a few days in HK, I'd do a day or overnight trip to Macau.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I concur with what Tinsel has suggested. HK first, get the visa there, takes a couple of days. Fly to Shanghai, then take fast train to Beijing.

If you're planning on buying any tech, cameras, etc. HK is significantly cheaper than the Mainland.

If you have an Android phone or iPhone, suggest you get the Trip Adviser City Guides for those places. These are free and contain much useful information about hotels, restaurants, shopping, sights, things to do, etc. as well as detailed maps.

5. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

How many days are you going to spend?

6. saysomething

Should add: don't eat on the subways in HK even if you're with hungry, crying children.

7. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Not sure as of yet but most likely it will be a two week trip in order to see and experience as much as possible.

8. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

Are there any restaurants or shops which you would recommend?

Any stores in these three cities worth visiting? Thanks in advance.

I have heard much about "the armoury."

9. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

No store I am going to recommend in Shanghai if you go to HK first...

10. tinsel

tinsel Well-Known Member

The Armoury in Pedder building is certainly worth going to. Very pricey buy extremely luxurious items.

in Hong Kong I would also recommend Lane Crawford in Pacific Place and IFC, Harvey Nichols in the Landmark (and all the other stores in the Landmark), and also a look around the ground floor and first floors of Prince's Building and Alexandra House.

In general it is fair to say there is more choice in Hong Kong than the mainland, and that it is cheaper as well. Tailoring is also excellent value for money in Hong Kong.

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

The Sanlitun Yashou Clothing Market, Chaoyang district, Beijing is always worth a visit. Five floors of just about everything you can imagine. Be prepared to haggle for a good price though. Always seems to be full of Russians though.

12. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I have never found anything there of anything approaching acceptable quality. In Beijing these days, I just get whatever I need at Uniqlo or Muji. Tailored stuff comes from HK.

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

There's a big one of them right next door, three stories high at Sanlitun Village Mall. Problems I found, not much if it really fitted me too well(Chinese sizes?) and they wouldn't haggle on prices.

14. saysomething

A non-clothing related place in Beijing I highly recommend is the 798 Art District; you could easily spend half a day here as District is a misnomer - more like a small city.

As RogerC advised, Uniqlo and Muji are great especially if you don't have access to them in Finland - can't comment on the prices compared to other markets as the locations in China are the only ones I've visited. I wouldn't spend a dime on any luxury brand name item on the mainland.

I don't know a lot of the names of the restaurants I'd recommend but a google search or members here may be able to help.
    Shanghai - small, hole in the wall place that is locally known for the best xiao lum bao (sp?) ie. soup-filled dumpling. Line ups are almost a guarantee. The more well-known resto in Xintiandi serving the same has longer line-ups and prices about 4-5x higher - rather expected as the whole area is a tourist trap.
    Beijing - northwestern style Chinese very close to Summer Palace; hotpot close to the SE corner of Tiannamen Sq - there are many standouts for hotpot but I can only remember this one because of its proximity to somewhat of a landmark; Sichuan food in Xidan (2nd floor - each table is under a grass hut type thing).

All I can think of for now.

15. saysomething

I tried too.