• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"sexy" vs. "boring" work.. Does it matter to you?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
im serious, so many times in my life have i run into folks who talk about how 'sexy' their jobs are and how exclusive, and i just say 'oh', but later word gets around that they arent making that much money (which isnt really an issue) or they arent really doing what they claimed they did (sort of left some pertinent details out you get the picture).
not that i really care, it just makes me wonder why in the world they would ever even want to exxagerate what they do???? i mean, if they just flat out said, i did such and such in plain words with no exxageration at all, i would still not think any different of you from when i just met you, actaully i would give you a bit more respect for your ability to be frank and not value image (which causes alot of other issues in your personal life)

that is why i dont care for a job that is sexy or exclusive or what have you, i dont even boast one iota about my pay or whatever, i just say "i work for a living " or " computers" or "im satisfactory, i cant complain" that's it. who cares. practically and realistically , i rather be doing some real boring **** while making million.s
hey, of course, i rather 'do what i love doing' and all that bla blah blah. sure. but whatever.s

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
candy store? place that sells colorful shiny plastic things? horse farm? kitten and puppy breeder? Someplace that constantly has The Notebook on loop to a soundtrack of Jason Mraz?

all of this put together bizzle!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JonB27
Trust me there is nothing sexy about Police work...

Dunno, this seems pretty sexy:

2nq5lyc.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
im serious, so many times in my life have i run into folks who talk about how 'sexy' their jobs are and how exclusive, and i just say 'oh', but later word gets around that they arent making that much money (which isnt really an issue) or they arent really doing what they claimed they did (sort of left some pertinent details out you get the picture).

that's what a sexy job is all about - the more people lie about doing what you do, or pretend to do what you do, or want to do what you do, the sexier your job is.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i guess my job aint sexy, why would anyone want to pretend to be doing my job:
literally clock-in clock-out, crawl into tight office spaces, get demanded upon, lug carts across parking lots between buildings carrying broken equipment, where people from other companies working out of the same buildings in suits and briefcases looking down upon me as if i am some lowly janitor boy sneering at me because i look like i make less than minimum wage

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm either a
  • underwater demolitions expert
  • breeder of championship snow leopards
  • master of records
  • futurist
  • producer

depending on the cocktail party.

Although I'm thinking of dropping "futurist" for "haberdasher".

bigboy

Reaction score
It seems like this concept of job sexyness comes from the fact that one's job is one's life.

Maybe I'm just too naive to understand, but as long as a job provides and I'm not constantly questioning whether I should pull the trigger, then I'm fine.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
+1

Your job is sexy? Is this your second job at Chippendale's?

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigboy
It seems like this concept of job sexyness comes from the fact that one's job is one's life.

There was a great TED talk about this, and other, themes talked about in this thread by Alain de Botton.

He talks a little about how at no other time in human history are we defined by what we "do" and how our view of "success" is very skewed towards external achievement even though those achievements may have nothing to do with what the person is truly capable of.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
There was a great TED talk about this, and other, themes talked about in this thread by Alain de Botton.

He talks a little about how at no other time in human history are we defined by what we "do" and how our view of "success" is very skewed towards external achievement even though those achievements may have nothing to do with what the person is truly capable of.

Listened to that a while ago, it's not bad.

The whole theme of fortune and luck is something worth thinking about.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Listened to that a while ago, it's not bad.

The whole theme of fortune and luck is something worth thinking about.

You mean the Machiavelli/Roman conception?

Fobulush

Reaction score
In my experience it's been the quality of the coworkers that's determined whether I enjoyed my job or not. I'd much rather have sexy coworkers at a boring job than boring coworkers at a sexy job.

That said, it still has to pay enough to support my bourgeois lifestyle. Also, my job is really boring.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
You mean the Machiavelli/Roman conception?

Well in this case it was implied that you have less control over it, but after thinking about it, I think do prefer M's approach.

Thanks for reminding me though, I've had Mansfield's book on Machiavelli for a while, been meaning to read it. Also, in Rushdie's "Enchantress" he provides an interesting hypothetical look at Machiavelli and fortune/misfortune from Machiavelli's own personal view.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads