• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

serious question - when did you become a man?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Maybe you're an adult when you internalize the fact that you're going to die someday? That would make most people children and adulthood fraught with peril.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I was pretty competent and had my stuff together during the final couple of years of school and during my gap year. During my sixth form I taught sailing, set up and ran a debating society, produced a play with no support from the teachers and was responsible for organising weekend activities for around fifty navy cadets, including safety etc. During my gap year I earned money and travelled all over the place dealing with a vast number of different people and situations.

Since then, at university, I have become considerably less disciplined, I certainly could support myself financially, although I am not likely to for a bit. I am far less responsible and apart from very recently I haven't organised anything or helped organise others, can barely organise myself at the moment. I swear university has made me more childlike.

I answered not yet because I seem to be devolving, it may be that when I graduate and have to deal with real stuff again in a couple of months time that changes.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't, as you noted. Honestly...I don't think I'll be able to consider myself an "adult" until I'm at least in my mid-twenties. EDIT: If this is just about self-sufficiency, I'd like to think I'd be pretty much self-sufficient in two to three years. I tend to think adulthood is more about being "serious", "responsible" and "respectable." I don't know if I'll ever be those things. I read a book a few years ago (can't remember the name now) about how the age when people become adults is rising. I've read stuff that says that the ideas of "childhood" and "adolescence" are relatively recent concepts, beginning in the Industrial Revolution, IIRC. It may just be that due to technology we are undergoing another societal shift. The other thing to consider is that the average life span is increasing also. Offtopic, but...regarding the safety thing...I don't know. Most people disagree with me, but I find it difficult to believe that traveling across the country is that much more dangerous now than it was 70 years ago. I just think we're a lot more paranoid (or pussified) as a culture now. I could be wrong, but I think a lot of it has to do with the rise of mass media and the internet. For one thing, the media intentionally exaggerate dangers to drive up their ratings. But beyond that, I've done some reading that indicates that the part of our brains that assesses risks and makes us afraid isn't capable of differentiating between something scary that we see on tv news that happened in our neighborhood that's actually a threat, and something that happens on the other side of the country, or even in a completely fictional movie. And I'd like to think that I'm at least slightly more capable than your 7 year old.
confused.gif
Originally Posted by wmmk
FWIW, I'm 15.
Christ, you're tall for your age.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still feel more like a dumb kid than a man, and I'm 21.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't really feel there's a necessary transition from childhood into some state of adulthood where by definition you know how the world works and how to get around. There's still so much I don't know and there's so much I will never know. I think as far as feeling small and dwarfed by the scope of everything there is in the world, I don't think I'll ever be able to escape that feeling. In some sense, we're all still kids, and we're all still learning new things all the time, and there's always someone who knows something better than we do. As much as we can choose our own paths, I don't like to presume that the world is divided into boys and men, children and adults, knows and know-nots. We shouldn't look up to people simply because they're "men" and we're "boys", and neither should we talk down to people because they're "boys" and we presume ourselves "men". Everyone has something to teach us.

What a ramble. I hope you guys get the idea.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
When I lived on my own half-way around the globe for a rather long period of time.

that sort of brings us to Vito's answer - and it ties in with my concept of self reliance.

I think about Connie (no offense meant) and figure he would die in a few minutes if somebody wasn't taking care of him. and that seems to be a marker of a boy. the more you can deal with your problems without having somebody take care of you, the more of an adult you are.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
It's also interesting to consider that manhood, adulthood, independence and the attribution of these caracteristics are rather important topics for Globe and they aren't, for example, areas that I care that much about. I tend to flatten age distinctions and define the world in terms of other areas.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
It's also interesting to consider that manhood, adulthood, independence and the attribution of these caracteristics are rather important topics for Globe and they aren't, for example, areas that I care that much about. I tend to flatten age distinctions and define the world in terms of other areas.

you're right. I guess it is a very "personal cultural" thing. both of my parents left home before they were 10, for different reasons but both related to the great depression. I was raised on those stories. in my family, it wasn't unreasonable that you should be able to work before you were in high school. and I take perverse pride in my own background in relation to that.

on top of that, I have kids to raise. if you asked me what the 5 most important questions in my life are right now, one of them would be how to make my kids tough, without subjecting them to the unpleasentries of my growing up. its something that I think about alot.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
that sort of brings us to Vito's answer - and it ties in with my concept of self reliance.
I think that's only part of the answer for me (and maybe not the biggest part). The feeling of absolute freedom that comes with a sudden detachment from home and family is something that can be a little overwhelming, especially in a foreign land where you don't know anyone or even speak the language, but puts one squarely in charge and in control of oneself. This strange feeling that I was (a) working to pay for my room and food, and (b) that I could just do anything, anything I wanted - that's the combination that created a clear break in my mind. There will always be before and after that time in my mind.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In american culture I feel that manhood is defined by independence, being able to break free and blaze your own trail, carry your own weight, etc... whereas in asian culture a lot of manhood is defined as being able to support dependents, endure hardship for the sake of a cause greater than yourself... concepts of masculinity are really very divergent. I'm actually writing a research paper related to this right now.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I put 16. My father had been dead seven years, and it was the year I bought our family a car, paid rent at home while finishing high school, and generally was the major bread winner for my mother and little sister.

Was I an adult? Looking back, I certainly lacked mature insights, however I lived up to more responsibility than many 30 year olds.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma

What characteristics do you feel define adulthood?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I met many of the material benchmarks that others have listed at an early age. However, I don't think I started to think of myself as an adult until I was 19 or 20. Before that I sorta saw myself as a kid playing at being an independent grown-up.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I became a man the first time I took off a piece of someone's skull and sucked a bloodclot out of their head.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I became a man the first time I took off a piece of someone's skull and sucked a bloodclot out of their head.

shaunofthedeadzombiegroup.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads