• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Serious Crimes Against CM

G

Griffindork

There's a big difference between square toe and chisel

DSCN0972.jpg

985-199892-1.jpg

Describe the difference to me please.

Last edited by a moderator:

red81

Reaction score
i actually have those kenneth cole shoes (lace up).

which only solidifies my need to go buy park avenues and throw those out.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't mess with agjiffy. He will stalk your closet purge threads and call you out for any Plebeian brands you own.

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

Lesson #1: don't mess with agjiffy. He will stalk your closet purge threads and make judgements!

That is all true. I'm gonna ad a rule for all the "noobs". If you don't have experience, and you don't know what you are talking about, just keep your mouth shut. It may not increase your SF post count, and it won't drive traffic to your blog, but it beats publicizing your ignorance, and it is better to be silent than to be a studio gangster.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That is all true. I'm gonna ad a rule for all the "noobs". If you don't have experience, and you don't know what you are talking about, just keep your mouth shut. It may not increase your SF post count, and it won't drive traffic to your blog, but it beats publicizing your ignorance, and it is better to be silent than to be a studio gangster.

I have a set of eyes, and those Cleverleys are not what most here would associate with "square toes." You're just being polemical/trollish.

Cleverley can call them whatever he wants and characterize the slightly perpendicular toe as "severely square," but those aint square toes in the SF conception.

Come on now, quit being a dick

These are square toes

Last edited:

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some time to kill before I got to meet with my PO, so I thought I would share thoughts.

Horrible, no exceptions:

- square-toed shoes
- matching tie and pocket square sets (people do this?)
- ties worn without jackets ("wud you like the 100 minutes plan or 500 minutes plan?")

but this can look good if properly executed

- black suits
- black odd trousers
- black or any other dark shirts
- jackets that don't cover your rear end (you mean that fail to cover one's ass completely? that would be most jackets now.....)
- navy odd trousers or gray odd jackets (why hating this?)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:confused:

In 1898 George Cleverley was born on the into
a shoemaking family in London. George moved to Colchester in Essex with his parents when he was aged two and spent his childhood selling bootlaces & polish. After finishing his apprenticeship at 15, he was called up to the Army for World War I and stationed in London before joining an army boot factory in Calais, France.

After the war he joined Tuczec, a high society London shoemaker on Clifford Street, Mayfair. He remained there for 38 years. George left Tuczec in 1958 to start up his own business
G.J.Cleverley of Cork Street, Mayfair, London On Cork Street he furthered his reputation to include some of the most illustrious names
in society and became known for making the Cleverley shape - a graceful, chisel-toed shoe which became signature to his extraordinary craft. George died in 1991 at nearly 93 years of age and was still working, virtually, until he died.

ryansto

Reaction score
Forgive the repetition. It's easier than quoting multiple posts:
-Matching tie and PS
-Black shoes and tan pants
-Square-toed shoes (not chiseled)

And (unless I missed them) my additions:
-Going belt-less when pants have belt loops
-Suit jacket worn as SC
-Too much break in trousers
-Improper proportion between: tie knot, shirt collar, and jacket lapel

G

Griffindork

I'm not sure why you keep stretching to post, and I don't know what you are quoting, but here is the artisan:
“It’s Mr. Cleverley’s shape that defines us,” says George Glasgow, of the unique chiseled toe designed by the founder of G. J. Cleverley & Co., the company he now owns. “He,” says Glasgow, who apprenticed with Cleverley for ten years before the master shoemaker’s death in 1993, “used to describe it as the suspiciously square toe.”

G

Griffindork

I have a set of eyes, and those Cleverleys are not what most here would associate with "square toes." You're just being polemical/trollish.

Cleverley can call them whatever he wants and characterize the slightly perpendicular toe as "severely square," but those aint square toes in the SF conception.

Come on now, quit being a dick

These are square toes

I'm not being trollish. I'm just asking you to support the premise that you stood up for (square toe shoes are inherently wrong). You've come up with a semantic argument as to why Cleverley isn't square toe (despite the fact that Cleverley calls it square toe). I'm asking you to draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable. If you can't do it, or you can't do it by referencing Cleverley, maybe you should rethink your position. If you don't have any Cleverley shoes, then maybe leave it out of your argument. I can tell you that the toes are square.

G

Griffindork

So that we can stop speaking theoretically, some Cleverley shoes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads