• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Septieme Largeur footwear - Discussion Thread

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

being low on cash, I'd rather have one pair of Carminas, C&J's, Allen Edmonds...

you're not serious about AE, are you?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Xenon

Reaction score

This forum seems to sometimes have a nearly audiophile level thing where nothing is good enough unless it's bespoke from brand X and made by an old man who has an epic moustache and lives in a pot of gold right at the end of the double rainbow. And those with the means to afford it, by all means have fun. But there is a point of diminishing returns where you're mostly paying for minor details, the brand and the bespokeness of it. I have a hard time believing durability would be a factor, considering the bottom rung shoes you see in thrift stores are often a decade old,).

Th SL at the price point are totally acceptable. Its the shoes that are using the same internal as SL but costing 4 times as much that are an issue. If you are selling a true rolls royce at rolls royce price fine. but not rolls royce price for a beautified toyota. The price theoritically should match the build techniques.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

[COLOR=0000FF]
Th SL at the price point are totally acceptable. Its the shoes that are using the same internal as SL but costing 4 times as much that are an issue. If you are selling a true rolls royce at rolls royce price fine. but not rolls royce price for a beautified toyota. The price theoritically should match the build techniques[/COLOR].

That's a very good point...although for me, at least, it is just as important that people don't confuse or equate the Toyota with the Rolls Royce even if only in their own mind.

If a person is happy with the Toyota, be happy with it because it is a Toyota...and serves your financial and transportation needs...not because it is masquerading as a Rolls or because it might fool some ignorant someone into believing it is a Rolls Royce or something in the same category. And don't tout it in a Rolls Royce forum---the better part of wisdom.

To carry on with the same kind of metaphor...hamburger is beef but it is not rib eye. If you have a hamburger pocketbook, or cannot see the advantage to a medium rare rib eye, don't try to tell yourself (or anyone else) you're eating an equivalent cut..

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Xenon

Reaction score

But what happens if the Rolls Royce turns out to be just a great big BMW underneath?
:paranoia:

Well the rolls royce may now be made by BMW but it isn't to the same specs. For starters the most important difference is the all aluminum frame which is significantly stiffer than the BMW 7 series and far more corrosion resistant. So the tone is set quite different from the very beginning. But your right even that frame isn't all that impressive when you think of how and what it could be made off.

If someone had substantial money (think hundreds of millions) they could certainly convince a custom builder to truly build a car designed to last forever that is assembled from corrosion immune alloys. If that someone was me I would start looking at the makers of battle tanks or trains or heavy mining equipment certainly not any current car manufacturer.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E might well match or slightly exceed SL quality in terms of leather/tannage and even the amount of detailing on the uppers. I wouldn't be at all suprised if AE didn't prove to be more durable than SL.

But from a stylistic standpoint I couldn't go there.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also imagine that the value proposition changes between Europe and the US, given shipping charges, etc. Over here, they seem among the better deals for the price (excluding sales, etc.). How much do they charge for shipping to the US?

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yeah, style wise I'd choose SL over AE any day (the only AE shoe I like is the Strand) but that's subjective... Quality-wise, I'm just a little more confident about AE ...

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

It's great if you live in Paris or the region, and are into honoring this kind of treatment.
However, that's not me.
To my eye it's a bit artificial and it's only appealing for those instances in which a "funny" shoe is desirable ie: street wear at the pitti or daily wear of dandy clothes etc. in those environments in which the locals have an understanding or appreciation for it. And in my case a plain patine seems more reasonable.
I doubt I'll ever have occasion to chose it.

In Paris even C&J offers patine treatment (for €50 I think) so it is, indeed, not really something outside the (dandy) norm. I only have one heavily pattinated pair (custom order from Corthay) and it is still quite discrete compared to that stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads