• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Masque Milano Russian Tea. I can definitely see why so many people in the online fragrance world love this. It's a rich, smoky, leathery black tea. There's a healthy dose of mint at the top, but that disappears for me pretty quickly. There's also a hint of sweetness that I probably wouldn't be able to identify on my own, but which fragrantica suggests is immortelle and labdanum. I'm not normally a big fan of tea scents, mainly because I often find them lacking in depth. That includes scents like Bulgari Black and Midnight in Paris, which I've always felt I should like more than I do. But this one is really well done.
EDIT: The immortelle really comes out later in the drydown.

While I love the smokey black tea part, I also get a pretty prominent sweet lemon note that persists for a lot of it. Was it there for you?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I am wearing Comme des Garçons Blue Santal.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Today I am wearing Comme des Garçons Blue Santal.

Interesting; I haven't tried this one. Loving (or at least respecting) most everything CdG, I shall have to check this out.

L'aP Bois Farine for me today. It makes an interesting comparison to, say, Mechant Loup. It takes out the honey/sweet from the Mechant yet retains that nutty, woody base. Throw in some spice and it manages to stay fascinating, while never turning sweet. Sort of like how Malle Vetiver Ext can create a complex experience without ever taking you where you might expect it to go.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today I am wearing Tam Dao EdT.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday: Secrets du Paradis Rouge by Jul et Mad. Love it.
Today: El by Arquiste. Mini-review to come.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Need more commentary on some of these new scents; it looks like lots of good ones out there.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's from Diptyque. Better?

Haha yes! ;)

Guerlain L'instant PH EdP (formerly "extreme") today. Forgot how much I love this one in cooler weather. Warm, rich, fresh, yet gourmand-ish. Even after a dozen years, it still satisfied and always gives me some new facet to explore.

Last edited:

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Haha yes! ;)

Guerlain L'instant PH EdP (formerly "extreme") today. Forgot how much I love this one in cooler weather. Warm, rich, fresh, yet gourmand-ish. Even after a dozen years, it still satisfied and always gives me some new facet to explore.

Ha, you turned me on to L'Instant, I bought two bottles, hardly wear it.

Today is a new one for me: Bois 1920 vento nel vento. It's an incensy amber, a few steps back from Amber Absolute, not nearly as rich but still good

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy crepe Thomas is back in SOTD!

Here's the promised mini-review for Él by Arquiste. The name is certainly accurate. It's one of those contemporary seventies-style masculine patchouli scents, in the same ballpark as TF Patchouli Absolu and Malle Monsieur, but with a bit more of a classic fougère vibe. I checked out some online reviews and noticed that others don't emphasize the patchouli nearly as much as I do. But really, as soon as I put this on I thought "holy crap that's a lot of patchouli." I don't particularly enjoy any scents in that style, including this one.

@Master-Classter, I didn't pick up the lemon note in Russian Tea, but I will pay attention for it next time I wear it. There's a lot going on in that fragrance.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Salome by Papillon today. Very funky, animalic, cuminy, smoky, mossy rose. This is the first time I'm wearing it, but so far I'm amazed at how good this is. It doesn't smell a lot like Vero Rubj, but it's similar in its unabashed carnality.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Salome by Papillon today. Very funky, animalic, cuminy, smoky, mossy rose. This is the first time I'm wearing it, but so far I'm amazed at how good this is. It doesn't smell a lot like Vero Rubj, but it's similar in its unabashed carnality.

Hmm, I don't think Salome and Rubj smell alike at all. Where did you hear that gobbledygook?

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know why you're saying that Rubj is similar to Green Irish Tweed just not seeing it like at all.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think I smelled Green Irish Tweed twice in my life. I don't get the appeal of that stuff.
Today I am wearing Yohji Homme. Anise fougere. Great stuff for a day at home cleaning diarrhea up from my son.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur