• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't get the hyping of Ombre Leather. Tuscan Leather is superior by far - the only reason I can think of is price. But at that point, you may as well go with Black Orchid or Beau de Jour.

Dior Fahrenheit is one leather scent that I really like for the fall, so I'm glad it's mentioned.

I have the Ombre Leather and I like it, but have never tried Tuscan Leather.

Also, I just bought a Fahrenheit for the first time last week. I'd tried a sample last fall and really liked it, so picked it up on a whim while my wife was at Sephora.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is nice to have a range of strengths to one's fragrances, though. Almost all of mine are Eau de Parfum, but the occasional Eau de Toilette is nice for those times when you need to be well-groomed, but not overbearing.

I have a number of vintage EDTs that are significantly more robust than some of my modern EDPs. Seems like things have gotten watered down...

shoewarma

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't get the hyping of Ombre Leather. Tuscan Leather is superior by far - the only reason I can think of is price. But at that point, you may as well go with Black Orchid or Beau de Jour.

Dior Fahrenheit is one leather scent that I really like for the fall, so I'm glad it's mentioned.
While I agree that Tuscan Leather probably does smell better, I don't think it's the better fragrance. I really like the sweet and addicting fruitiness that's way in the forefront, but man, it's just such a trashy, boorish fragrance overall. It's one of those fragrances that will wear you, no matter what personality is. I'm far from the louder than life person that TL seems to target, but I have my moments. Even then, I can't pull it off because it's just too much. That's why I much prefer Ombré Leather. It still smells very much like TL, but it's much classier and cuts down on the fruity accord significantly. It doesn't have the rough and animalic leather note that other leather fragrances have, but that's what I personally prefer. OL is more intimate and mature, yet still attractive and intoxicating.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a number of vintage EDTs that are significantly more robust than some of my modern EDPs. Seems like things have gotten watered down...

Yes, definitely. If you ever run across an EDT Gentleman from the 70s, it performs as well, if not better, than some modern EDPs.

While I agree that Tuscan Leather probably does smell better, I don't think it's the better fragrance. I really like the sweet and addicting fruitiness that's way in the forefront, but man, it's just such a trashy, boorish fragrance overall. It's one of those fragrances that will wear you, no matter what personality is. I'm far from the louder than life person that TL seems to target, but I have my moments. Even then, I can't pull it off because it's just too much. That's why I much prefer Ombré Leather. It still smells very much like TL, but it's much classier and cuts down on the fruity accord significantly. It doesn't have the rough and animalic leather note that other leather fragrances have, but that's what I personally prefer. OL is more intimate and mature, yet still attractive and intoxicating.

Tuscan Leather is pretty animalic, and it does require a certain personality to pull off, no doubt. I think you're right about the TF fragrances overall - they are not all for everyone, and you don't want the fragrance to be too much for the wearer.

Ombre Leather is very good, of course. It's an example of that "elusive" skin chemistry factor, as I don't like it on myself as much as some others from the signature line.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, definitely. If you ever run across an EDT Gentleman from the 70s, it performs as well, if not better, than some modern EDPs.

Tuscan Leather is pretty animalic, and it does require a certain personality to pull off, no doubt. I think you're right about the TF fragrances overall - they are not all for everyone, and you don't want the fragrance to be too much for the wearer.

Ombre Leather is very good, of course. It's an example of that "elusive" skin chemistry factor, as I don't like it on myself as much as some others from the signature line.
I saw a few sellers with large high ratings on eBay selling 6ml atomizers of good stuff for around $13 a pop.
Is this for the most part legit, or something to avoid?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a few sellers with large high ratings on eBay selling 6ml atomizers of good stuff for around $13 a pop.
Is this for the most part legit, or something to avoid?

Do you mean for the Givenchy Gentleman, or Tuscan Leather?

I've seen some reputable sellers from New York, but anywhere else I'm wary of since I can pick up anything from Tom Ford here in Canada. For GG - it's a rare fragrance to find in a full bottle, and pre-80s. Those were splash bottles, so I'm not sure how good the decants are.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean for the Givenchy Gentleman, or Tuscan Leather?

I've seen some reputable sellers from New York, but anywhere else I'm wary of since I can pick up anything from Tom Ford here in Canada. For GG - it's a rare fragrance to find in a full bottle, and pre-80s. Those were splash bottles, so I'm not sure how good the decants are.
TF...
I'd like to load up on a few and live with them on my skin before committing to a big bottle.
This listing had my attention.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
TF...
I'd like to load up on a few and live with them on my skin before committing to a big bottle.

Why not just get it from Perfumed Court or something? 5ml there is $40. A bit pricier than $20, but not by much and you won't have to wonder if it's legit.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TF...

I'd message the seller about the return policy - it seems they offer returns within 30 days on their description, but not officially under the listing price?...

In any case, I haven't bought from this seller. It's a good idea to try them out first before buying a larger size though.

Do you have Sephora stores near you? I know that they carry some TF from time to time, and they definitely have a 30-day return policy, even on open bottles.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just get it from Perfumed Court or something? 5ml there is $40. A bit pricier than $13, but not by much and you won't have to wonder if it's legit.

One thing that makes me wonder is that the regular TF is at least $4 per ml, and the point of decants is to make a bit of profit on the smaller size, so why are these cheaper?

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just get it from Perfumed Court or something? 5ml there is $40. A bit pricier than $20, but not by much and you won't have to wonder if it's legit.
I've got them bookmarked, but even after emailing, they still haven't sent my first order discount code.
And.....I demand my code.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads