• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Nobilis Animus

Reaction score
So while I was at the Saks counter, I saw they were selling Duc de Vervins. The pic I posted is still up. I asked the rep what he thought of it, and that I had an old bottle.
He said it was fantastic, and then whispered, not sure why, "that scent is old money!".
So I wore it today for the first time in years and years.
Conflicting thoughts. It smelled great, but I kept expecting to get in a fight with my ex at any second.
Interesting impressions! I wonder if it's just that these older fragrances have been around long enough for us to remember such different encounters with them.

One that I keep for very occasional use is an old Gentleman by Givenchy bottle. It always comes out all vetiver and musk for me, not too much patchouli, and makes me feel like heading to a cocktail lounge. :cool2:

Nobilis Animus

Reaction score
Love it, that's one of my go-to's.

Also, my Oud Wood was delivered today.
I want to hook up with myself...
Such great stuff.

I sometimes find myself choosing a fragrance before an outfit for the day, and then choosing the clothes to suit that. Oud Wood goes well with a lot of different looks, but nothing less than smart-casual, imho.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Btw, I have been putting absolutes in my diffuser (the one with water/vibrations) and it works wonderfully, although you do have to clean it to remove a lot of the scent that gets baked on it. Some of the absolutes are very very thick so I cut them with perfumer's alcohol before using.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today (or I should say yesterday) I was wearing At The Barber’s from Maison Margiela.

Love the "By the Fireplace" and actually am looking for my third bottle of this. Wore the hell out of it last fall and winter (perfect "seasonal" fragrance to me), and my wife used to steal it as well. We also tried "Jazz Club" but did not like.

Bromley

Reaction score
Btw, I have been putting absolutes in my diffuser (the one with water/vibrations) and it works wonderfully, although you do have to clean it to remove a lot of the scent that gets baked on it. Some of the absolutes are very very thick so I cut them with perfumer's alcohol before using.
What absolutes do you like for this?

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the "By the Fireplace" and actually am looking for my third bottle of this. Wore the hell out of it last fall and winter (perfect "seasonal" fragrance to me), and my wife used to steal it as well. We also tried "Jazz Club" but did not like.
Was wearing Jazz Club yesterday.

I like it. But "By the Fireplace" I like much more - just the perfect winter smell. "At The Barber’s" is another my favourite.

Bromley

Reaction score
I've tried a ginger/lime mix. It's nice, but it disappears more quickly than I'd like.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I was walking around South Coast Plaza the other day after Saks, I noticed Jo Malone has their own stand alone store in there...
TBH, until I was sent the samples, I had never heard of them.

Nobilis Animus

Reaction score
While I was walking around South Coast Plaza the other day after Saks, I noticed Jo Malone has their own stand alone store in there...
TBH, until I was sent the samples, I had never heard of them.
Pretty much the polar opposite of Tom Ford, so if you like staying power I wouldn't bother.

It is nice to have a range of strengths to one's fragrances, though. Almost all of mine are Eau de Parfum, but the occasional Eau de Toilette is nice for those times when you need to be well-groomed, but not overbearing.

Nobilis Animus

Reaction score
Hey Leather, you're with me...

Honestly, I don't get the hyping of Ombre Leather. Tuscan Leather is superior by far - the only reason I can think of is price. But at that point, you may as well go with Black Orchid or Beau de Jour.

Dior Fahrenheit is one leather scent that I really like for the fall, so I'm glad it's mentioned.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't get the hyping of Ombre Leather. Tuscan Leather is superior by far - the only reason I can think of is price. But at that point, you may as well go with Black Orchid or Beau de Jour.

Dior Fahrenheit is one leather scent that I really like for the fall, so I'm glad it's mentioned.
I remember Fahrenheit back from school days.
I need to re-smell that one.
Someone posted about The Perfumed Court the other day. I'm going to order a sample haul...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's