• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trying Vetiver Tonka again this evening . . .

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I switched into Dior Vetiver because of HORNS's earlier post. Even though I don't usually like vetiver-dominant fragrances, I actually like this one.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I switched into Dior Vetiver because of HORNS's earlier post. Even though I don't usually like vetiver-dominant fragrances, I actually like this one.

What's your thought on this?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Day: Bois des Iles parfum by Chanel
Night: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Private Blend

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sycomore yesterday. Mûre et musc today.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Day: Bois des Iles parfum by Chanel
Night: Amber Absolute by Tom Ford Private Blend

Sycomore yesterday. Mûre et musc today.

Nice choices! Mure et musc is a unique one... I never liked it that much, but I still appreciated what it tried to do. Back in teh golden days of Basenotes I ended up with an entire bottle in a swap, but I just couldn't make it work on my skin despite repeated attempts. It was also quite fleeting (the original, not "extreme" version).

finishing up my bottle of Dune parfum. Will miss this one!

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: YSL - Kouros. Not the easiest scent, but definitely interesting. Overall I enjoyed it.
Tonight: Byredo - Bal d'Afrique. Still no fan. Doesn't smell natural to me at all.

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Today: YSL - Kouros. Not the easiest scent, but definitely interesting. Overall I enjoyed it.
Tonight: Byredo - Bal d'Afrique. Still no fan. Doesn't smell natural to me at all.

If you have access to Creed Orange Spice, it's an interesting "cousin" to Kouros, though Creedified.

Guerlain AA Herba Fresca for me today, for no other reason other than it was hot, humid, and I wasn't feeling much in the mood for anything heavy. As the name suggests, crisp greens, some light florals, and a large dose of mint. I'd like it better if the mint were toned down and not so prominent... it's there right at the front. A very green scent with a smaller hint of the mint would be much better. Still, though, it's a good scent for summer and obtained easily and inexpensively.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What's your thought on this?

I find most vetiver-dominant fragrances rough and prickly, the olfactory equivalent of being attacked by a porcupine. I like the vetiver in Dior Vetiver a lot better because the usual roughness and prickliness is rounded out somehow. There's a citrusy note at the top that I think is responsible for some of that, but I don't think it's doing all the work. There's something else in there there's heavier and just a little bit sweet. I checked Fragrantica, which tells me there's a robusta coffee note in there. I'll be honest, I don't smell that note. But it might be that that's producing the rounding out effect that I like.

SOTD: Bijou Romantique

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^How do you like it?

Do you mean Bijou? It has definitely become one of my favorites lately. I wasn't sure I liked it at first; it's an odd fragrance, with what seem to me like two different halves. One the one hand, there's a very rich vanilla and chocalety gourmand vibe. But it's also got a rough, earthy feel, which I think probably comes mainly from the vetiver. These two blocs of scent seem like an odd mix, but I've come to like it a lot.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm. It's my only ELDO scent (I won two samples). I've worn it twice so far and don't really love it yet. I guess it's just not my type of fragrance.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Hm. It's my only ELDO scent (I won two samples). I've worn it twice so far and don't really love it yet. I guess it's just not my type of fragrance.

Boy, that just one step short of the Powerball there.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today, it's been the hottest day this year in Germany. 95°F. Never been +85°F here in Hamburg. These were my choices:

Acqua di Parma - Colonia Intensa.
L'Artisan - L'Eau de Jatamansi.
Creed - Bois du Portugal.

Happy with all of them.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Boy, that just one step short of the Powerball there.

:happy:

Has anyone tried the two new ones yet? (Afternoon of a Faun and Dangerous Complicity) I've been very happy with ELDO's more recent releases, so I'm definitely looking forward to trying these.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads