Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. backtaro

backtaro Senior member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

ELDO Tilda Swinton today.

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

If you mean BdI, I do have the éxtrait (parfum). I agree, it's very nice, great projeciton and longevity. On the other hand, I'm wearing No. 19 parfum today (or No. 22? not sure, lol, tend to the 19 though) and the projection is not as good at all.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Friday: Parfums DelRae Eau Illuminee
    This morning: Montale Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    This evening: F. Malle Portrait of a Lady

Even though the Montale was going strong into the afternoon I thought the spicy rose of Portrait of a Lady would be a powerful and compatible layer over the former.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

No, the Cuir de Russie. I didn't even know they made the BdI in pure parfum.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, yeah, so many names. Mixed it up, I meant the Cuir de Russie (but aside from that, I also have 2ml of Bois des Iles parfum).

So, yesterday I wanted to try Bond no. 9 - New Harlem, they didn't have any, so I applied some Clive Christian - No. 1. It's fine and all, but just far too pricey.
    In the evening, I used some Diptyquee - Olène. It's pretty nice. Not much of a development over the hours, but good smelling nonetheless. Reminded me of some scent but can't pin it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  7. L'Incandescent

I've been out of town for a week, so I didn't have access to most of my fragrances. (I brought seven with me.) Now that I'm back, I'm opening lots of my bottles and smelling them!

Pre-shower: Archives 69
    SOTD: Invasion Barbare. I'm slowly coming to like this one. Emphasis on slowly.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

New MFK Amyris homme. Vaguely plesant but nothing to write home about. The feminine version might be up someone's alley.

9. STATcurse

STATcurse Active Member

I just got into fragrance and have been strolling through this thread. How do you guys have so much stuff? Can't possibly have full bottles of everything... how do you go about acquiring all these samples?

Maybe this deserves its own thread or should be on Basenotes but what exactly is the incentive of buying from a store instead of online, if there is any at all?

Anyhow... my inaugural SOTD - Bond No 9 - Cooper Square

10. L'Incandescent

Welcome to SF! That's an interesting first SOTD. As I described a few pages back, I've been all over the map in my opinion about Cooper Square.

There are a few ways to get the samples. Some people are really good at getting samples from the perfume counters at places like Neiman, Saks, etc. (Rambo seems to be especially good at that.) I typically purchase my samples from Surrender to Chance, and sometimes from The Perfumed Court and Luckyscent. They're a little bit pricey, but nonetheless they give you access to lots and lots of scents that you'd otherwise have limited access to. In addition, you can often get decants at good prices from sellers here or at Crystal Flacon.

One advantage of buying fragrances from a store is that you can be sure it's authentic. For example, if you buy very popular scents like Creed, Chanel, Armani, etc. from ebay, you're taking a pretty big risk. A second benefit is that you can build relationships with knowledgeable SAs. But in general, I purchase online.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

^^Actually, I'm wearing BdI parfum today.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012
  12. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: F. Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - a very nice vetiver which is too much like Sycomore for me to ever get a full bottle. However, if you love vetiver but find Sycomore too smokey then this is one you should check out.

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow, I find VE way more smokey and intense than Sycomore. It may be that the aldehydic opening of Sycomore is so strong to me that I apply it way more lightly than VE, but I find the two to be quite different. The Malle is very earthy and dank, the Chanel is more sophisticated, and "perfumey."

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

With VE I find the fruit component to be quite prominent, even hours into the drydown. Sycomore is a smoldering log of hardwood to me.