1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Senior Member

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I've been reading through this thread and I was wondering how everyone learned about scents. I've seen words like "projection" being thrown around, and I had no idea what they meant until I googled them.

Interesting topic!

2. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I think this is a very good question and will tell you what my definition would be: "projection" is when you are able to smell the perfume/cologne/whatever-you-want-to-call-it from a relative distance from the spot you originally sprayed it. Low projection would be where you have to put your nose closer to the area where you sprayed it to get a similar intensity. Of course the distance from your nose to your chest (where the perfume is often sprayed) can only be so great so your measurement of projection while by yourself can be finite except if you get into the business of trying to quantify the intensity of a scent per that maximum distance. I suppose you can get a companion to join in as you step away à la that Verizon guy and ask "can you smell me now?".

In my world, unfortunately, "projection" is 99.999% of the time a negative quality because my wife hates perfumes. But you know what? Fuck her.

3. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

So, delving back into the samples. Yesterday was Lavender Palm which I thought was very nice but not the TFPB$$$ nice. Today: Idole EdP which is likewise really damn good but not sure I'm there re: the lucre. Actually - I know why this is, it dries down to a fruity smoky amber - and I have tons of amber already.

4. CalTex

CalTex Distinguished Member

Byredo Accourd Oud

5. Rambo

Rambo Stylish Dinosaur

If you ever decide to get some Idole, let me know. I'll split some with you. Its not full bottle worthy for me, but I'd like to have some around. Its a great scent.

6. raginberriodoom

raginberriodoom Senior Member

Hmm... interesting. Where did you learn about this stuff and all these different scents? I'm looking forward to going to the department store to get my first few samples/bottle. Any recommendations?

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

A good starting point might be a book called Perfumes: The Guide by Luca Turin and Tania Sanchez. It's mostly devoted to reviews of fragrances, but there's also a nice introduction to the basics of perfumery at the beginning. And there's a nice little glossary at the back.

Which department stores are you planning to go to? A lot of the scents you encounter here in SOTD are only available at upscale retailers like Neiman, Saks, etc. or at boutiques or from online retailers like Surrender to Chance, Luckyscent, etc.

Pre-shower: Whips and Roses
    SOTD: Coromandel.

8. b1os

b1os Distinguished Member

Sycomore. I don't love it but it's definitely pretty good.

Then I tried Cooper Square. Enjoyed it. Also tried the new oud AdP. I don't think it's bad, I just don't think it's necessary.

9. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

This book by Turin and Sanchez is a must-have for anyone in love with fragrances because it's so well written, witty, and informative. But you must trust your own nose!!!!

I have spent cumulative weeks on the computer reading about many, many perfumes from the perspective of dozens of people while looking up the organic molecules within scents as well as the botany or zoology of the organisms that create them. There's a multitude of blogs on perfume and most of them are hippy-dippy or never-gettin-laid female crap, but there's some like Now Smell This or Andy Tauer's blog that are very informative. Basenotes is a website that was started for men to appreciate perfumery and thus has that a lot of the no bullshit attitude that you get with a male perspective (compared to the treacly prose you have to endure on Fragrantica).

Lastly, I'm going to give this piece of advice because it's just based on my experience - go out there and try to smell a bunch of Commes des Garcons scents. They have a gazillion of them and they are all modern and as a whole made me very excited about perfumery because they show what can be done with perfumery that end up smelling nothing like what you think of as "feminine", "masculine", or "old lady".

10. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Distinguished Member

BOOM, here ya go - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/252887-Resource-Archive-for-Self-Education-ABOUT-Fragrance

do tell.... I'm interested to hear your thoughts (neg or pos)

incase you are or you know anyone in the Toronto area.... I've organized another local meetup. Please spread the word!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/30...-19th-5pm-at-GUERLAIN-Come-Join-Us!?p=2660956

11. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Last night sprayed on my wrist Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile - it's a beautiful perfume. Beautiful and elegant but not for me. I'd love to smell it on my wife.

12. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Sprayed Le Labo Santal 33 on my right wrist this morning - what is this, synthetic sandalwood, cedar, and a big dose of mint? I'm a huge sandalwood fan but this one just sucks. I just saw that cardamom is a component so I just went to the kitchen and opened up my jar of cardamom pods, which smell NOTHING like anything that I'm getting here. I'm glad I have the AdP Iris Nobile still going strong on my left wrist to sniff.

13. Thomas

Thomas Stylish Dinosaur

heh, I tried that one just after it came out and I was still in the throes of Oud 23 love. Turned out remarkably similar to Oud 23, I mean similar enough that I thought - why bother? That was part of a bad purchase: in the same box was a bottle of Soivohle Tuscan Leather which sounded really nice on paper, but on me was straight-up immortelle - which reads Curry Maple Syrup. I ran to the bathroom screaming GET IT OFF MEEEE!!!. By comparison, Santal 33 was a masterpiece.

But, have you tried Etro Sandalo? I liked that one quite a bit when I tried it last.

Today, though...Cuir de Lancome.

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Stylish Dinosaur

Santal 33 is one of the few fragrances I find unwearable. I don't find it very sandalwoody at all; I find it more leathery and minty. It's way too harsh for my taste.

Pre-shower: Bleecker Street
    SOTD: Bal de Roses

EDIT: I switched into Chanel PM. I just wasn't feeling the Bal de Roses today.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012

15. loveswatching

loveswatching Senior Member