1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I've tried them on paper but never got past that.

2. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This evening: George Sand - a very comfortable fragrance and similar to many of the Histoires de Parfums bases.

1 person likes this.
  3. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

4. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I have an aversion for violets, so I don't like the original He Wood, but conceptually it's interesting. A woody floral aquatic, actually i think it's well done just not my personal style of something I'd want to wear. I tried and have a small decant of Potion too actually, smells to me like woodshop class, sort of warm dry spicey sawdust. I admit I haven't given it a full wearing but on a sniff it seems worth trying and I think can be found for pretty cheap around or online.

SOTD Creed GIT, meh was bored at work and felt like something harmless. What a waste of a day I could have worn something I actually enjoyed. There's always tomorrow!

Dreamer - which Vetiver bottle was it, the vintage square with golden juice, the ribbed horizontal one with light or dark green juice, or the vertical rectangle one with darkish green juice?

Prof Fab / Rach - I just actually bought a bottle of Kouros and noticed the bottle's different, no more silver ring around the bottom. Did a few hours of Googling to see if it was reformulated and most people said there's a slight change but not a big difference.... have you noticed anything? smelled the old and new? I read it's still such a powerhouse that there's not much missing, though it is different.
    Also, my mom's always loved that RG (femme version) and I heard that it was more or less butchered a few times through reformulation across the 90's. True? I want to buy her a bottle and don't know if it's worth hunting down a 'vintage' one or just go buy the current formula. Thoughts?

SWAP BOX - anyone care to comment? Should I just make a thread and you'll all show up or what?

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

In case anyone's in the market to try some new womens fragrances, the new Valentina Assoluto and Bottega Veneta Eau Legere are both fantastic.

6. hipster

hipster Senior member

yes, i love rocky mountain wood. have ocean wet wood sample coming next week.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  7. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I haven't tried any new Kouros, so I'm not sure! As for RG, it was completely changed in 2003 under Gucci Group... not just reformulated. The bottle is the same, but the juice is really quite different. Whether it is worth it just depends on how much it costs to find it... the current one is still fun, so if it were $20 but vintage was $150, i'd just go with new. If new is $40 and the vintage $50, then get the vintage.

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

One of my first memories EVER is looking at a canister of Rive Gauche in my mother's bathroom counter as a toddler.

As for Kouros, that shit's almost like, and should be treated as, a parfum/extrait.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Today: L'Artisan Coeur de Vetiver Sacre - this is really a fresh (as in unique and much needed) perspective on vetiver, especially because they pulled off using vetiver as a component in a fragrance that has many other equally-present parts. It has a little sweetness but is also dry at the same time, if that makes any sense.

10. hipster

hipster Senior member

re kouros: first time i wore it around my friends, on a hot and humid evening, one of them said "dude why did you put mosquito spray on, you know we're going out not camping"
    havent touched the bottle since :embar:

11. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I get what you mean. I was just testing out the He Wood as it was a gift. I have Rocky Mountain Wood which I bought myself and like much more than the previous.
    I bought RMW when I was going through a "Lumberjack" phase..

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Ah yes, the lumberjack phase. we've all been there! I remember this one time back in '89 when....

:D

13. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Trying Santal Majuscule for the first time today. This is as good as advertised; thanks for the recommendation, b1os.

Unfortunately, my very first wearing of this coincides with the day I've been dreading for a while now: I had to have my beloved cat euthanized today. I hope I don't attach that bad memory to the fragrance, because the fragrance really is wonderful.

Also, to all the newer participants in this thread: definitely consider getting involved in the next edition of Master-Classter's swap box. It's a great thing that M-C does.

14. California Dreamer

SOTD MFK Lumiere Noir.

MC, this is what the Guerlain bottle and box look like. I can't remember the exact colour of the juice.

[​IMG]
    [

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Very true. It really has a parfum feel to it.

Glad you're enjoying it. It's been some time since I've last worn it and I'm eager to revisit it.

So sorry to hear about your cat. Didn't follow the "pissing you off" thread the past few weeks, so the last update I perceived was that she's better. Sorry that it didn't work out. I'm sure you made the right decision in euthanizing her.

Edit: You should still go see Larry Carlton tomorrow. It will help you think of something else.
    ----------
    SOTD: Rive Gauche pour Homme. I'm enjoying it quite a lot, very good longevity.

16. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

SOTD: Declaration Cartier. Heading to Little Tokyo for the night later.

S'the one I've got too.

17. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

This evening: Vol de Nuit - fuck me, what a beautiful perfume. For some reason I'm getting a lot of jasmine with the first 30 minutes of my application, which has not raised its head before.

18. California Dreamer

19. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Pre-shower: Santal Majuscule. Really liking this very much.
    SOTD: Attar de Roses. One of my favorites from the Keiko Mecheri lineup. Also one of my favorite roses.

1 person likes this.
  20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

tried out the MFK oud velvet. something very sharp in this that i don't find all that appealing.