• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so I went out sniffing a bunch of mainstream frags yesterday and the standouts were MMM's Untitled (L'Eau), which I don't like green scents, particularly galbanum notes but I will give him credit here since this scent is worth sniffing. I found it turned into a skin scent within 2-3 hours but have heard others say that when they wear it people around them can still smell it.

other standout? Victor & Rolf Spicebomb! yea, believe it or not it's one of those fragrances like 1 million that's so obnoxious it's almost endearing. It's gourmand but also spicey and has huge longevity and projection. I may have ot actually test this one fully and (gulp) consider adding it to the collection. Just try it, but close your eyes and ignore the label, bottle, etc and judge the juice.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ I gave Spicebomb a cursory testing at Nordstrom once, but I was more interested in other things so I don't think I got a very detailed impression. Is it anything like Flowerbomb, or are they completely unrelated? I'm not a big fan of Flowerbomb; I was hoping for something very different based on the name!

I'm wearing Miss Dior today. (Not the new Miss Dior, which is really Miss Dior Cherie. I mean the old-school mossy chypre Miss Dior.)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While on the "pleb" note... :D

Yesterday was Banana Republic's Cordovan. Deep scent with leather, a bit of spice, and dark woody notes - probably cedar. I enjoy it quite a bit, especially for only 50mL @$30. Very safe, office appropriate, but a shade off of your standard "safe" scents. Worth trying.

Today going with another BR one - Republic of Men. Starts out with a sparkling plum note which I find very distinctive, before drying down to a very smooth fig and sandalwood. This one is something I would buy, for sure. And again, great price. Longevity is decent; 7-9 hours easy.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, first of all, the Red Flower all natural parfums have really decent longevity. I think Chandler Burr just hates non-synthetical parfums (because they disprove his theory of art=artificial/synthetic).

Today, I wore Santal Massoia. Not *that* much going on.

Came by a parfumérie and because of all the Annick Goutal talk, I decided to try some more.
Ninfeo Mio and Mandragore Pourpre (obviously both in the pour homme flacon to approve my masculinity).

Ninfeo Mio smells like, well, stinging nettle. The opening is pure stinging nettle. The drydown is still dominated by it.
I liked the drydown of Mandragore Pourpe. Guess this needs another wearing.

Also applied some Dark Rose as a bedtime scent (won again at ALZD's sample giveaway). I like it so far. Edit: One hour in, this is the opposite of Rose Ikebana. Not opposite as in RI is great and this is awful. Opposite as in RI is a great day scent, light and refreshing, rose-y yet very unisex. This here is perfect for the evening and more cloudy/rainy/overcast/cold days. Definitely feminin for the average person's assessment, but to me it's very wearable. I'll see whether the longevity is decent after my 6.5 hours rest, which I'm about to dive into. BTW, L'Inc, have you tried Lyric Man by now?

Last edited:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Earlier today: Chergui
This evening: Lumiere Noire Pour Homme. This is fast becoming a favorite.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

. BTW, L'Inc, have you tried Lyric Man by now?

No, I haven't tried it yet. I'm not well acquainted at all with the Amouage line, but I'm also very keen to try Gold. I will remember to order those with my next batch of samples.

I agree with you on Dark Rose, it's really an excellent evening scent. It's that rose/saffron accord that I'm always fond of. I hope you get better longevity than I do.

tps16

Reaction score

Yeah, I find that you get a stunning fecal note right at the top of Jicky edp, but it doesn't persist too far into the drydown. (I find the civet stronger than Shalimar's.) I like the edp. Have you ever tried Ungaro II, which is often billed as a more office-friendly, brighter and more citrusy Jicky?
About No. 19, I find it cool and uninviting. But that's part of its elegance and formality too. I think it's a very good scent, but it just doesn't feel right for me.

I'll have to remember about Ungaro II. I doubt it's available here in Beijing though. Only one Guerlain outlet carries Jicky and Mitsouko, and Habit Rouge is not available at all! Though Guerlain is supposed to be opening a full-line store at some point soon.
I think I like No.19 for the reasons you don't like it. Different strokes and all that.
Today, Heritage

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yep, I call Ungaro II "Jicky Summer."

L'inc, haven't tried Ocean Rain yet. Had it shipped to my US address, and I'm in Japan until at least October. So, it will be waiting for me until then.

Today is Eau de Givenchy again, for a warmish Spring/Summer day. Like all the good old "eaus," it's a stinkfest wrapped in freshness. Eau de Rochas is piss and hay sprinkled with lemon pinesol, and Eau de Givenchy is sort of wet, spoiled hay composted with some assorted fruit. Good stuff.

None are as good as Eau Sauvage or Diorella, of course, which have the stinkfest wrapped in an adventure... the Rochas, Givenchy, and other Eaus stay rather linear. Roudnitska made his go in different directions, so you get spice, funk, rancid stink, fruit, and then a wonderful friendly blast of citrusy freshness.

It's obvious that Ellena is Roudnitka's protege... think Declaration, Citrus Bigarade, Rose Poivree, etc.... but still Ellena doesn't do it as well. Obviously I love much of what he's made, but still, the more I wear Roud's juice the more I appreciate what he did.

Last edited:

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, I haven't tried it yet. I'm not well acquainted at all with the Amouage line, but I'm also very keen to try Gold. I will remember to order those with my next batch of samples.
I agree with you on Dark Rose, it's really an excellent evening scent. It's that rose/saffron accord that I'm always fond of. I hope you get better longevity than I do.

Ok, definitely get known with Amouage. They have some good juice. Haven't tried Gold Man yet though (but have a sample of it).

I still smelled Dark Rose after waking up. After taking a shower it's very very light now.

Not sure yet what the SotD will be. Either Eau d'Hadrien, Eau de Givenchy or one of the new L'Esprit Colognes by TDC.

Last edited:

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timbuktu today. Find the opening sharp, rasping, harsh almost; love love love the middle and drydown. Yesterday was Sycomore, day before Rose de Nuit. Tomorrow is going to be a beautiful sunny and slightly cool day. Am think El Attarine.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Satori Iris Homme.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Muscs Koublai Khan.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys, thoughts on purchasing creed from eBay? I want to get either the 1 or 2.5 oz bottle of silver mountain water and the prices on ebay are pretty much half.. the sellers have great reviews and all but this just can't be right. Should I just assume the eBay frags are fake? Do I need to purchase from creed directly to ensure authenticity?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To "ensure" it, then yes. I've had great experiences with fragrancenet.com. I've ordered two legit Creeds from there. When I was sent a sketchy bottle, I contacted them and had a return going the next day - full refund. They'll stand by their policy of only dealing w/ authentic product. Prices there are great too.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads