Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Nope, I don't have much experience with the feminine line (I only have Ubar, Beloved [very new, I think it's marketed as feminine] and Salalah Green -- although this is more unisex/masculine, imo).
    And FWIW, the Gold man has pretty mixed reviews at BN. I think it's too floral (opening) and powdery (drydown) for most of them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

2. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I'm not sure a fragrance can be too floral! That's a negative review that makes me want to try it.

Honestly, I only pay attention to reviews at BN that are written by a handful of people whose opinions I really respect. Same for Fragrantica.

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

To my understanding, most men do not like floral fragrances at all because it's perceived as feminine nowadays. Dry, citrus, woody, aquatic is the way to go, I guess.
    Anyways, you should try most of the lineup. An awesome way to do that is to order the sampler box. It contains 10x2 ml (5 pour femme and 5 pour homme), so 20ml, and is "just" 65$. That's far less than what you'd pay at ausliebezumduft (roughly 10-14€/sample, so about 120€), plus in nicer atomizers and a box. Available for Men and Women. Unfortunately, I saw this too late. ParfumsRaffy has this, for example.

Gold women and men, Reflection women and men, Jubilation XXV and Jubilation 25, Epic women and men, Lyric women and men.
    [​IMG]

Really looking forward to receiving two attars from STC.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

That's not a bad deal at all. The only one of those I've tried as Jubilation XXV, which I thought was good, but I wasn't in love with it. Nice looking atomizers too.

And yeah, I think men are very much averse to any scent that gives a strong impression of being floral. I think floral notes are okay as long as they remain safely in the background. And yeah, I think a lot of that has to do with worries that they'll be perceived as too feminine, or even as gay. I guess I can understand that, but it's not something I worry about.

I haven't calculated it precisely, but I'd estimate that about 60-70% of the time I'm wearing a fragrance, it's a feminine.

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

:laugh:

Good example would be the guy in this thread who wore and enjoyed FM - En Passant (didn't wear that one in quite some time actually... need to change that), but a female friend of him said it's too feminine.
    Eventually, it all comes down to personal taste. As long as you don't overapply and penetrate the whole building you're in, I think you can wear pretty much whatever you want (but oh, why do most men who were cheap aquatic scents bath in it?). One has to decide whether one wants to primarily smell good to others or good to oneself (that is not to say that both isn't possible to achieve at the same time). It's important though that you feel comfortable wearing a scent -- if you like a "feminine" scent but feel very awkward wearing it in public because of worrying to be perceived as, like you said, feminine/gay/unmanly, you should rather limit yourself to wearing these at home.

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'm surprised by your assessment of Timbuktu - but it's just a great example of how we all perceive scents differently because I find Timbuktu to be very sedate, like an olfactory hum.

7. tps16

tps16 Senior member

8. Zack G

Zack G Member

john varvatos by john varvatos,

wish it lasted longer and projected better : /

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Gents, this is an image of the 1 oz bottles from creed.. does this have an atomizer? I can't tell..

[​IMG]

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

12. tps16

tps16 Senior member

^Yes, I've used a Fleurissimo deodorant stick before. No stains. Good lasting power but not worth the $. Now I use Guerlain Vetiver. Equal lasting power at 1/2 the price and smells better.

13. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Interesting; I found it quite bitter, not sweet. A very bitter citrus, almost acrid. Not my favorite. For layering, I'd later it with something NON citrus... try it with a patchouli or vanilla, or even a floral. I think layering with Antaeus will be quite foul (in a bad way.) If you have something with an indolic jasmine, I think it would be quite wonderfully stinky (in a good way).

What did you see? Eau Rose makes me think it must have been Italian. For something German or French, you'd need Knize or Guerlain, respectively. Or Caron. I'll guess and say you saw something Verdi or Puccini. Definitely not "parsifal" or "Les Troyens." (haha)

You can't go wrong with Shalimar. :) A true classic and will be around as long as there is parfumery. Obviously, Jicky is my guerlain preference, but they are stylistically similar. shalimar is Jicky minus a bit of civet and plus vanillin.

My SOTD was no. 19 EdT... reapplied for an evening out with colleagues. In retrospect, I should have applied something truly foul so that they'd want to end the evening early. (haha)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

14. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Coincidentally, I wore Shalimar last night. It helped to put me to sleep. I think I prefer Jicky as well, and will likely be getting Jicky edp when my Shalimar edp runs out. I find myself only wearing Shalimar at home.
    Good call on the no. 19

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

15. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

I ordered my first small decants from The Perfumed Court yesterday:

Creed Erolfa

Creed Neroli Sauvage

Clinique Happy

Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue

I look forward to their arrival and I'm quite excited about the huge choice available through decants!