Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Putzing around with trying to make perfumes has allowed me to become more familiar with individual components, but using many of those ingredients, like cardamom, cumin, lime, orange blossom, clove, and nutmeg, in cooking also helps as well.

Sandalwood categorically is a softer scent compared to cedar - cedar is more of a fresh smell relative to sandalwood in my mind.

2. b1os

b1os Senior member

Don't you have some shoe trees, 1969? They're often made of cedar wood.

SL - Muscs Koublai Khan and Divine - L'Homme Sage as SotN.

Muscs Koublai Khan is really interesting. Definitely not uniform. Musc, some rose, lots and lots of animalic notes (cumin and probably civet or so).
    L'Homme Sage. I think I enjoy it but need to wear it solo as a SotD to get a better feeling for it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012

3. tps16

tps16 Senior member

I've sampled the edp and was going to buy it, but they were out of stock. I've heard the edp is much closer to the parfum. My other wrist was already sampling Mitsouko parfum (lovely), but I think I will try to sample parfums of Jicky and L'Heure Bleue next time.
    Yesterday, Chanel PM
    Today, Mitsouko edp

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I have, somewhat, with the provision that extraction methods change - to a degree - the scent being extracted. For instance rose extracts almost never smell like the flower itself. - so the perfumer has to add other compounds to get it closer. Lavender, as I understand, is more forgiving, but vanilla bean is never captured in its boozy dirty glory - although iirc Jacques Guerlain used birch tar to good effect in early versions of Shalimar. That said, they do get close to representing the ideas of the scents, and I've used gardens (basil, lavender, rosemary), spice jars (cardamom, clove, sage), produce sections (bergamot, lemon), and lumber yards (cedar, oak) to at least get ideas of what a perfumer is targeting. Also, seeing a list of notes helps, as do comparisons between similar scents - For instance, if you try Bois de Iles, Egoiste, and Tam Dao...you should be able to get a feel for sandalwood (which admittedly is tough to pin down because of all the variations - mysore / Austrailian / synthetic). Absences also help: comparing an old bottle of Antaeus to current production highlights the beeswax absolute, which is considerably stronger in the old version.

Although if you're interested in the direct method, Le Labo produces an olfactionary which gives individual notes.

5. 1969

1969 Senior member

Interesting on the olfactionary. I wondered if something like that existed.

6. b1os

b1os Senior member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

7. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Pre-shower: CH by Carolina Herrera. I've never liked this one, and I still don't. It's too girly.
    SOTD: Attar de Roses by Keiko Mecheri. If anyone speaks critical words about this one, I cannot guarantee that I won't turn violent. (That is just rhetoric; I won't really turn violent. But I might turn incredulous.)

8. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Thanks for the link, MC.

L'Inc, where did you get your Must de Cartier extrait from?

9. b1os

b1os Senior member

If you want to sample it, STC has it.

SotD: Kilian - Cruel Intentions. Oud with a citrus opening, drydown is pretty balsamic with rose/jasmine or so.

SotN: Kilian - Bamboo Harmony. Smells a little soapy. Drydown is pleasant for hot weather. Needs another wearing.
    Byredo - Bal d'Afrique. Paris in the 20s so I had to sample it. Vetiver. Jasmine or something. Balsamic. I just read a review at BN that says it's reminiscent of Herm├Ęs' Vetiver Tonka. And I think he's right, I see the similarity.

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

11. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Do any of you guys like Etat Libre d'Orange? I was going to purchase a bottle, blindly, of Jasmin et Cigarettes and just couldn't go outside my principles.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

^^^ ohhh, had a bottle of ELDO J&C and the indoles made me nuseaus... I have a few bottles from them, they're generally offbeat and interesting. I do find them a little raw and not smoothly blended but worth sampling for fun. Praise of a Traitor's quite like Yatagan, so that's one I kept. IIRC Rien was a nice leather (?).

B1os, I heard that the Paris 20's romanticism and all that was maybe a marketing story and the real story which is actually what I tell customers, (I work for Byredo BTW) is that Ben's dad used to travel to Africa when he was a kid and would come back and tell him stories and he had this imagined vision of exotic jungles and flowers. I find this plays out differently on people. Sometimes it's a darkish floral with a thick honey texture, and colors that come to mind are dark yellow and dark green plus maybe some browns and purples. On a few people it's turned really musty and almost BO like. Probably our best seller from the line though.

13. L'Incandescent

I'm a fan of the line, but there are certainly some I don't like. The best description I've seen of ELDO is from Tania Sanchez (I think), who called it fragrance pop art. The fragrances are witty statements that, for the most part, also smell good. (Sometimes not so much witty as juvenile, as in Secretions Magnifiques or Don't Get Me Wrong Baby, I Don't Swallow.) M-C raises a really important point about J et C: the jasmine is quite indolic. The first few times I wore it, it gave me a headache. Oddly enough, it doesn't anymore. But still, that's something to consider. It's not the safest blind buy.

FWIW, my favorites from the line are Delicious Closet Queen, Encens et Bubblegum, Rossy de Palma, Charogne, SM, and J et C. Oh yeah, Noel au Balcon is a wonderful gourmand too.
    The worst, IMO, are Vraie Blonde (can't wear it more than five minutes w/o scrubbing) and Rien (not so much into the leather scene! This is a harsh leather.).

@M-C: I'm very surprised to hear that Bal d'Afrique is a best seller from the line. Not that I think it's bad, but it is somewhat unusual. I would have expected Green or La Tulipe, or maybe Fantastic Man/Sunday Cologne.

@HORNS: I got my bottle of Must de Cartier parfum from ebay. I'm sure it's legit.

14. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

What is the color of your bottle? Is it the 4ml one? I see many on ebay for sale but didn't know what each color of packaging represented.

15. L'Incandescent

Yeah, it's the 4ml bottle. The edges are gold and the middle, where you can see the fragrance, is burgundy. It says "Must de Cartier" in a classic early '80s font. The box is black with "Must de Cartier" in gold.