Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I swapped away my bottle to a friend in Vegas, and I can smell when he's wearing it. :)

Today, I don't know if this is just me, but for some strange reason I woke up feeling out-of-step just a bit. So I pulled out my Elvis Costello cd's and my bottle of Dzing! and went with it.

2. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Good to hear I'm not the only one... this is my exact experience.

I also keep my armpit hair trimmed so that wasn't the problem. Anyway, after a week or so of remoisturizing and letting the skin heal, I am using it again.

3. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dior Jules today. This one is similar to Kouros in many ways - it's a potent fougere that's both soapy and a bit animal (say it with a french accent), but it's a lot more approachable.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Just last night I realized that I hadn't thought about Dior Jules in a long, long time. I have no idea why that fragrance crossed my mind; it's definitely overshadowed by so many of the other Diors. And now you mention it in the first SOTD post that I've read today. Weird. (I love the box that Jules used to come in--not sure if it still does. So reminiscent of my childhood in the late '70s and early '80s.)

Anyway, it's Lutens Clair de Musc for me today. Straightforward clean, pleasant musk.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

6. L'Incandescent

There are some pretty deep discounts there. Forgive my ignorance, but I have to ask the obvious question: are these people selling legitimate product? Whenever I see Creed on discount, I get suspicious. (I know that at least one major, at least semi-reputable dealer has been known to sell fakes. I think it was El Argentino who talked about that.)

7. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I'm interested in expanding beyond the mass mkt fare on offer in the the high st places in which I tend to find myself browsing.
    So, I'm looking to get a nice variety of vials from somewhere reliable (and safe for the net) of the less common brands I'm used to seeing referenced.
    For e.g. Montale, Piguet,, Artisan, Creed, SMN, and many, many others more of the select brands which I see talked about here.
    Any site, sellers and other advice welcome. Cheers.

Today was unseasonably hot. Again. I went with Acqua di Parma.
    Looking forward to Autumn kicking in .

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  8. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

This is always a concern with Creed. I've never ordered from BTR, but as far as I can tell, they're kind of a low-to-mid-market Gilt. They do have fragrance sales with some regularity--usually mass-market stuff, though I have seen Creed on there once before.

9. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I'm jealous of Baron's closely-guarded bottles of Jules and Patou PH. I want both! :)

I guess I'll go with Havana today and feel very manly. :)

10. Baron

Bottles? They're little decants, getting littler all the time. I actually just bought a 10 ml mini bottle of Jules on ebay but it's yet to arrive. My decant is down to the dregs. The Patou is down to about 3 ml, but I feel like I've lost a few ml to evaporation. I've been trying to save that one but I might as well use it up before it's gets funky.

The one decant that I'm really trying to drag out is Biche dans l'absinthe. I don't even hear about those Gobin Daube scents anymore. They were outrageously expensive and hard to find even when they were in production, and now they're like an urban myth. I do love Biche - wish I could get more of it.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^ for some strange reason, I use decants two, maybe three times, and then ignore them completely. Not sure why. Of scores of decants, I've only ever emptied one: Cuiron - and then I bought a bottle and have used it maybe twice since then. Everything else - unless it's a decant from splash bottle to spray - has all but been forgotten. It's as though I have to have at least 50ml of a scent before I consider using it.

12. Baron

I went through a long phase when I ignored all my decants - they went into a box for a move and I never unpacked them. I pulled them out about a year ago and I've been having fun rediscovering them, but I don't really have a good place for them and having 30 decants on a shelf is a PITA. I inevitably knock over 10 little bottles reaching for one in the back, and you can't really tell what's what at a glance, so, yeah, I can relate.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I keep them in a square ziplock container so I can stand them all up. makes organizing easy.

14. L'Incandescent

Body Kouros today. There's a weird clash in this one, with sharp, cool eucalyptus at the top and warm, sweet caramel in the drydown.