• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I went through a long phase when I ignored all my decants - they went into a box for a move and I never unpacked them. I pulled them out about a year ago and I've been having fun rediscovering them, but I don't really have a good place for them and having 30 decants on a shelf is a PITA. I inevitably knock over 10 little bottles reaching for one in the back, and you can't really tell what's what at a glance, so, yeah, I can relate.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Body Kouros today. There's a weird clash in this one, with sharp, cool eucalyptus at the top and warm, sweet caramel in the drydown.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Body Kouros today. There's a weird clash in this one, with sharp, cool eucalyptus at the top and warm, sweet caramel in the drydown.

+1 on that... I always BK unique... and a blasting sillage powerhouse.
IIRC, it has mace as a note (though I'm guessing referring to a type of spice close to nutmeg as opposed to a self-defense tool, haha.)

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman today for a cool autumn day... WOW this one is great in cooler weather.

Last edited:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Hmmm... I never do them at the same time, so it's not really an issue like applying toner and cream sequentially. I usually apply cream the night before, anyway. The issue is well-moisturized skin IN GENERAL, not that it's a two-step process at the same time (cream/fragrance or fragrance/cream). To the above (who is Roja Dov?), the rubbing in of the cream on top of the fragrance seems to me to change the possible chemistry more than a well-moisturized skin on top of which fragrance is applied.

oh, I see. I always assumed you meant at the same time, like shower, moisturize and then a few minutes later spraying (or the opposite according to him). My thoughts also were that spraying on skin then putting on lotion above would mess up the frag evolvement.

You've never heard of Roja? Wiki that boy! He's considered one of the foremost fragrance experts in the world, holds some rare title like master perfumer or something, has an exlusive line of obscene stuff for Harrod's, and was interviewed in that BBC series on perfume I linked to a bit earlier...

^^ for some strange reason, I use decants two, maybe three times, and then ignore them completely. Not sure why. Of scores of decants, I've only ever emptied one: Cuiron - and then I bought a bottle and have used it maybe twice since then. Everything else - unless it's a decant from splash bottle to spray - has all but been forgotten. It's as though I have to have at least 50ml of a scent before I consider using it.

This is partly the reason I first buy/swap 10ml decants of everything before buying bottles because often it's more jsut about 'having' it as a collector than really wanting a bottle. If I love it for the juice and wear it often and want more when it's done, then I go buy a bottle. Then again I often only use about 2.5-5ml and already decide to go get a bottle...
As for what to do with them, I actually did the opposite of Baron... I put all my full bottles away in a box and have been working my way through all my samples and decants. Discovered a few new great ones, tossed many into the swap box / round #4 prep box... I'm getting a little tired of constantly wearing unfamiliar things so occasionally I wear something from my collection and then go 'ahhhh that's soo much better' just knowing it's a winner.

Yesterday - L'Occitane Eau Des Baux. Got a new partial bottle to refill my original so spilled a little all over me. Woke up with morning to smell TFTV...

Today - Keihl's Original Musk. New replacement bottle so spritzed to check it's still good. it's still good.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just got a sample of PdN New York, which I'm trying for the first time today. Given Luca Turin's famous endorsement, as well as all the buzz among perfumistas, I had to give it a try. I have to say, I'm very impressed. To my nose, it's definitely a chypre, very much in the vein of masculine classics like Chanel PM. There's also an oriental twist that emerges during the later stages of the drydown. There's nothing revolutionary or innovative or daring about this scent. It's just a very well-constructed, modern-smelling chypre. At the top I get a blast of citrus--lemon and orange that are nicely blended. The orange note persists well into the drydown. I also get some aromatic notes at the top, but I'm not great at distinguishing between the different aromatic notes. To my nose, the base is classically mossy, but there's also a touch of amber. Seems like a fragrance that would be really versatile. I'm definitely considering picking up a bottle, probably the 30 ml.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guerlain Idylle Duet (edp) today. I like it, but I'd never buy a full bottle. It's a nice floral with a smattering of patchouli... sort of a "friendlier" Voleur de rose. If you like rose/patchouli, I think you'll like it, but it never quite goes into the "darker" territory I want when I'm exposed to those notes.

MC, thanks for the note about Roja Dov. As I've said before, I'm now 2-3 (nearing 4) years out of the fragrance loop, and have not kept up with things or read much at all. I've been mostly exploring older fragrances rather than seeing what's coming out now, and also haven't really kept up with the "names" currently at the forefront. I shall take a look for him, though, and see what he's on about. :)

Last edited:

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just got a sample of PdN New York, which I'm trying for the first time today. Given Luca Turin's famous endorsement, as well as all the buzz among perfumistas, I had to give it a try. I have to say, I'm very impressed. To my nose, it's definitely a chypre, very much in the vein of masculine classics like Chanel PM. There's also an oriental twist that emerges during the later stages of the drydown. There's nothing revolutionary or innovative or daring about this scent. It's just a very well-constructed, modern-smelling chypre. At the top I get a blast of citrus--lemon and orange that are nicely blended. The orange note persists well into the drydown. I also get some aromatic notes at the top, but I'm not great at distinguishing between the different aromatic notes. To my nose, the base is classically mossy, but there's also a touch of amber. Seems like a fragrance that would be really versatile. I'm definitely considering picking up a bottle, probably the 30 ml.

Accurate description, though I'd get some interesting spice notes too. A pleasant, versatile, well balanced and timeless scent.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

One of the things I love about fragrances. Because I don't get any chypre at all. And thank god for that.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

One of the things I love about fragrances. Because I don't get any chypre at all. And thank god for that.

You know, I often see fragrances described as chypres and I find myself completely at a loss to understand why. This one, for me, is as chypre as chypre can be. It's fascinating how different noses perceive these things.

How do you perceive it?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You know, I often see fragrances described as chypres and I find myself completely at a loss to understand why. This one, for me, is as chypre as chypre can be. It's fascinating how different noses perceive these things.
How do you perceive it?

I kind of get a masculine/leathery scent. Not leathery like Bel Ami, which smells like a sweaty saddle mixed with an unwashed ball sack, but just a bit of leather layered over a manly background. Its like Telly Savalas in fragrance form.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I kind of get a masculine/leathery scent. Not leathery like Bel Ami, which smells like a sweaty saddle mixed with an unwashed ball sack, but just a bit of leather layered over a manly background. Its like Telly Savalas in fragrance form.

:rotflmao:

I'm wearing PdN Sacrebleu today. A very pleasant, complex fruity floriental. For the first couple of minutes, the top smells exactly like Pez candy to me--chalky and tangy sweetness. Sweetness quickly becomes dark, jammy, and spicy. The flowers emerge in the heart--my nose picks up tuberose and jasmine most strongly. Base is incensey, but not any kind of heavy, overpowering incense.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On one wrist is the older (amber colored) Tiffany for Men, on the the other is the recent one (which I received as a gift a few months back.) Given the oakmoss changes, I was curious how they compared.

Short answer is much like the changes with Chanel PM. The new Tiffany is still wonderful, but it clearly has been reformulated... I like them both and think that a prospective buyer would be happy, but the new one IS more powdery (probably, again, due to oakmoss changes).

The older one is subtler, too, much like the Chanel is more subtle than the newer Eau Concentree. They both are wonderful, though, and should be a part of every gentleman's wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads