Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

+1 on that... I always BK unique... and a blasting sillage powerhouse.
    IIRC, it has mace as a note (though I'm guessing referring to a type of spice close to nutmeg as opposed to a self-defense tool, haha.)

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman today for a cool autumn day... WOW this one is great in cooler weather.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

2. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Today, Egoiste

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

oh, I see. I always assumed you meant at the same time, like shower, moisturize and then a few minutes later spraying (or the opposite according to him). My thoughts also were that spraying on skin then putting on lotion above would mess up the frag evolvement.

You've never heard of Roja? Wiki that boy! He's considered one of the foremost fragrance experts in the world, holds some rare title like master perfumer or something, has an exlusive line of obscene stuff for Harrod's, and was interviewed in that BBC series on perfume I linked to a bit earlier...

This is partly the reason I first buy/swap 10ml decants of everything before buying bottles because often it's more jsut about 'having' it as a collector than really wanting a bottle. If I love it for the juice and wear it often and want more when it's done, then I go buy a bottle. Then again I often only use about 2.5-5ml and already decide to go get a bottle...
    As for what to do with them, I actually did the opposite of Baron... I put all my full bottles away in a box and have been working my way through all my samples and decants. Discovered a few new great ones, tossed many into the swap box / round #4 prep box... I'm getting a little tired of constantly wearing unfamiliar things so occasionally I wear something from my collection and then go 'ahhhh that's soo much better' just knowing it's a winner.

Yesterday - L'Occitane Eau Des Baux. Got a new partial bottle to refill my original so spilled a little all over me. Woke up with morning to smell TFTV...

Today - Keihl's Original Musk. New replacement bottle so spritzed to check it's still good. it's still good.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Just got a sample of PdN New York, which I'm trying for the first time today. Given Luca Turin's famous endorsement, as well as all the buzz among perfumistas, I had to give it a try. I have to say, I'm very impressed. To my nose, it's definitely a chypre, very much in the vein of masculine classics like Chanel PM. There's also an oriental twist that emerges during the later stages of the drydown. There's nothing revolutionary or innovative or daring about this scent. It's just a very well-constructed, modern-smelling chypre. At the top I get a blast of citrus--lemon and orange that are nicely blended. The orange note persists well into the drydown. I also get some aromatic notes at the top, but I'm not great at distinguishing between the different aromatic notes. To my nose, the base is classically mossy, but there's also a touch of amber. Seems like a fragrance that would be really versatile. I'm definitely considering picking up a bottle, probably the 30 ml.

5. rach2jlc

Guerlain Idylle Duet (edp) today. I like it, but I'd never buy a full bottle. It's a nice floral with a smattering of patchouli... sort of a "friendlier" Voleur de rose. If you like rose/patchouli, I think you'll like it, but it never quite goes into the "darker" territory I want when I'm exposed to those notes.

MC, thanks for the note about Roja Dov. As I've said before, I'm now 2-3 (nearing 4) years out of the fragrance loop, and have not kept up with things or read much at all. I've been mostly exploring older fragrances rather than seeing what's coming out now, and also haven't really kept up with the "names" currently at the forefront. I shall take a look for him, though, and see what he's on about. :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Accurate description, though I'd get some interesting spice notes too. A pleasant, versatile, well balanced and timeless scent.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

One of the things I love about fragrances. Because I don't get any chypre at all. And thank god for that.

8. L'Incandescent

You know, I often see fragrances described as chypres and I find myself completely at a loss to understand why. This one, for me, is as chypre as chypre can be. It's fascinating how different noses perceive these things.

How do you perceive it?

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I kind of get a masculine/leathery scent. Not leathery like Bel Ami, which smells like a sweaty saddle mixed with an unwashed ball sack, but just a bit of leather layered over a manly background. Its like Telly Savalas in fragrance form.

10. L'Incandescent

:rotflmao:

I'm wearing PdN Sacrebleu today. A very pleasant, complex fruity floriental. For the first couple of minutes, the top smells exactly like Pez candy to me--chalky and tangy sweetness. Sweetness quickly becomes dark, jammy, and spicy. The flowers emerge in the heart--my nose picks up tuberose and jasmine most strongly. Base is incensey, but not any kind of heavy, overpowering incense.

11. rach2jlc

On one wrist is the older (amber colored) Tiffany for Men, on the the other is the recent one (which I received as a gift a few months back.) Given the oakmoss changes, I was curious how they compared.

Short answer is much like the changes with Chanel PM. The new Tiffany is still wonderful, but it clearly has been reformulated... I like them both and think that a prospective buyer would be happy, but the new one IS more powdery (probably, again, due to oakmoss changes).

The older one is subtler, too, much like the Chanel is more subtle than the newer Eau Concentree. They both are wonderful, though, and should be a part of every gentleman's wardrobe.

12. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

LIz Zorn Calcutta today. Sweetish amber with a bit of rose.

13. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Yesterday was Royal English Leather. I haven't worn this in a long time, but now that it's getting cooler again, it was a nice change of pace. This is one of the few creeds I actually like. Too bad it's only wearable in cooler weather for me. Today, Antaeus.

14. willpower

willpower Senior member

Ha! "Who loves ya, baby?"

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

You know I nearly reached for Bel Ami sweaty saddle mixed with an unwashed ball sack, but instead went with Yatagan today.