Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

I also use the crystal. It works great. Unfortunately, I can only use it for six months to a year at a time then have to take a break for a week or two. It causes my underarms to become very irritated and they start to smell terrible. I think this is caused by the skin getting too dry and losing the good natural bacteria. I stop and use a good hand cream for some days to moisturize my skin.

2. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

It works best on shaved or trimmed pits. The hair harbors all the bacteria anyway.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

huh, interesting. I just had that happen to me too actually. I've been using that Christal stick for about a year, love it, no problems, and then just about a month ago started getting some bad smell, not even like my normal BO but clearly a sweaty smell... I also noticed a few sort of skin splits or gouges in my pitts... I'll give it a break and go back to plain deodorant for a week.

yesterday, Lutens 5 o'clock au Gigembre. Nice for fall time.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

The wondrous Purple Patchouli for me today.

5. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Thanks for the link. V interesting.

Scent for today: dead dog with a smear of autumn rain.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

6. zerosum

zerosum Well-Known Member

Been dropping in to this thread for some time and getting some new names to check out but at the the risk of being
    ignored for the nature of it, I'd like to ask the following:

What is the best way to apply a cologne?

Have read various instructional posts which seem to concur that spraying into palm of hand then wiping over neck etc is the way to go.
    I can't help thinking that this is wasteful.

I have always applied by holding bottle 20 or so cm in front of me and letting the spray just fall onto my skin.... Is the better (least wasteful and most effective) way the former here, or the latter, or another way ?
    All non wiseacre advice appreciated.

7. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Wiping it around, just like pressing the wrists together after application, seems like it would crush the molecules. If you don't have an atomizer, then dabbing it is fine. But, spraying it to the area is probably best. I generally use one on each wrist and on the neck. Sometimes the chest. Depends on the scent and the sillage. I'll be much more liberal in applying a traditional EdC or a citrus scent than a heavy oriental.

Also, well-moisturized skin will help for longevity, so using a daily unscented body oil or cream will help as well.

Honestly the first time I've ever heard "spray into hand and wipe" is in your post above. For a splash, I've heard dabbing into the palm and then patting on the neck, but never spraying there.

Today Aramis JHL. Lovers of chanel PM or other classic gentlemanly scents should try it, if they haven't. Not that they are similar (JHL is no chypre), but I think that a man who likes one would like the other. I certainly do! :)

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

There isn't a one-way-fits all method. Spraying on skin is probably most common, but spraying on clothes tends to slow development down due to lower ambient heat - the scents evaporate and fade at a lower rate (but, darker scents will stain). Some people spray on both skin and clothing, but you have to be fairly discreet about that to avoid gassing out the room. Speaking of gassing out the room, if you have a really loud scent (Aromatics Elixir / Aramis 900, Azuree, or possibly Opium, et al), some people swear by spraying into the air and walking through the mist.

Spraying on your hands and then rubbing on seems awfully wasteful, plus your hands will smell for a while. But you'll probably burn through your bottles pretty quickly.

If you have a splash, just apply lightly and see how that holds up through the day. I like wrists for a splash.

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I always felt that cologne, not the splash kind, in a bottle without an atomizer can lead to wastefulness and evaporation of the solvent. I don't know . . .

10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

My method is "spray into luxuriant white chest hair."

Kouros today. This stuff is so freaking strong. I only gave myself two small sprays, then ended up trying to wipe most of it off with a damp washcloth and it's still the only thing I can smell 7 hours later. I'm sure I'll be able to smell it on myself when I wake up in the morning.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

fixed for myself.

also, do one on each arm so I can smell it myself.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Hey Rach, in some vid I saw Roja Dov talking about using moisturizer but he compared frags with alcohol to toners, saying you'd never put toner on top of face cream, so you should put on the frag first, then the moisturizer on top to trap it in...

I assume you had always meant to do it the opposite way?

13. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Hmmm... I never do them at the same time, so it's not really an issue like applying toner and cream sequentially. I usually apply cream the night before, anyway.

The issue is well-moisturized skin IN GENERAL, not that it's a two-step process at the same time (cream/fragrance or fragrance/cream). To the above (who is Roja Dov?), the rubbing in of the cream on top of the fragrance seems to me to change the possible chemistry more than a well-moisturized skin on top of which fragrance is applied.

14. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I go with rach methods mainly

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Quote:
    I think I can still smell Kouros and the last time I put it on was 1985. :)