• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^A lot of these lately are ones I've never heard of. If possible, members please give a brief review in addition to key notes, so we can get a sense of what it is like. :)

L'instant de Guerlain today... I actually like the pour homme much better, but the original version is a lovely, though slightly sweet/heavy lily with a modern take on the Guerlain base. Leave it to Roucel to put a light, fresh note like lily (think Diorissimo) and weigh it down with magnolia and almost candied vanilla and amber base. All in all, it's a fascinating scent, though not one I would throw away all other bottles in order to keep. I think most men would find it too feminine to wear in most settings, so probably it's just best to stick with the pour Homme (which is a very, very different fragrance made up of entirely different notes and an entirely different feel.)

Edit; totally unrelated, but while perusing the interwebz somehow in an advert or info window came up that there is a Disney scent for "That's So Raven." Surely this must be a sign of the coming apocalypse. :lol:

Edit: OMG, it's true. And reading the comments section will just confirm my suspicion mentioned above.
http://www.amazon.com/Thats-Raven-Cologne-Spray-Disney/dp/B000FAKFAA

Last edited:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today: Grev by Slumberhouse, a small company out of Portland. It's an interesting spicy, woody scent with clove, balsam & cedar figuring prominently. This is a sample I got with an order from Indiescents & I find that I like it a lot. It has much in common with Piper Nigrum, but lacks the richness & complexity of the Villoresi.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lutens Feminite du Bois for me today. This is my first time wearing this, and so far I'm struck by how similar it is to the vintage Rochas Femme, especially at the top, which features dark candied fruits--the plum is especially prominent--along with cinnamon and clove. I'd say it's a bit fruitier and less dry than Rochas Femme. As it dries down it becomes sweeter and warmer, with notes of honey and vanilla complementing the spices. The bold fruits recedes into the background, but they remain perceptible throughout. It's very well blended: the different notes don't fight each other for attention, but complement each other nicely. I think this will be a lot better in fall and winter than in the summer.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
CdG Incense 3: Jaisalmer today.

rolleyes.gif

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chinatown today. This is my favorite Bond No. 9.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Chinatown today. This is my favorite Bond No. 9.

When Bond does it right, it's magical. There are a number of them in the line that are really quite wonderful. I also like some of the lesser known ones, like West Broadway (which is a lovely sweet scent, something along the lines of Fresh cannabis santal, Hanae Mori men, etc.) Fire Island was another I liked for summer... like super-luxe suntan lotion. :)

Today vintage YSL "Y" parfum. I wore this one a week or two back... it's another classic 1960's Chypre, though not as exciting or dark as Miss Dior, Givenchy III, etc. This one feels more restrained, more refined. That's nice and all, but the hint of animalic funk in the Dior is what makes it stand out. This one feels like what Creed would so with a chypre. Still, though, it's very nice and unique... and (true to YSL) has just a hint of something deeper in it... though it's so quiet.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bois 1920 La Vaniglia today. This is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It opens with an extremely sweet, rich vanilla that reminds me of vanilla pudding. If it stayed that way, it would be unbearably sweet. Thankfully it doesn't. Very quickly a strong, smoky incense and some peppery notes arrive to balance the vanilla. The official description suggests that there are some fruity notes, but I don't get that at all. Longevity is excellent. I think this would be better suited to fall and winter, but I like it too much not to wear it now!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today, Caron Pour Un Homme, just to wear a lavender, and because I keep forgetting I have Mouchoir de Monsieur (and agua Lavanda) somewhere in the closet.

Anyway, any opinions on Habit Rouge EdP? I have the EdT and seldom wear it.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nancy Boy Signature Scent Body Spray. If you ever want to smell like a spa, this is the one.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Bois 1920 La Vaniglia today. This is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It opens with an extremely sweet, rich vanilla that reminds me of vanilla pudding. If it stayed that way, it would be unbearably sweet. Thankfully it doesn't. Very quickly a strong, smoky incense and some peppery notes arrive to balance the vanilla. The official description suggests that there are some fruity notes, but I don't get that at all. Longevity is excellent. I think this would be better suited to fall and winter, but I like it too much not to wear it now!

This sounds right up my alley.

Today, Caron Pour Un Homme, just to wear a lavender, and because I keep forgetting I have Mouchoir de Monsieur (and agua Lavanda) somewhere in the closet.

Anyway, any opinions on Habit Rouge EdP? I have the EdT and seldom wear it.

No more bottles for you!

Today - CdG Monocole Hinoki. Nice spicy opening and middle. Sadly, longevity wasn't all that spectacular.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ well, now that the mania has passed, I decided to skip the EdP. Besides - and this was surprisingly hard to realize - I don't think I've yet found a Guerlain that has really demanded that I wear it. Not the recent ones, not the 'classics' - none of them. And I probably have tried and/or owned more scents from Guerlain than any 2 other houses put together, found some likeable scents but nothing that jumps out of the drawer and says "Wear ME!"

For instance, today I'm wearing L'Instant pour Homme, and it's good. Well-blended, quality ingredients, satisfying to wear. But I can go months and not once pull the L'Instant bottle or even think about it, and that goes for pretty well all the Guerlains I still have (some I actively avoid!)

Which is unsettling because Guerlain is the Grande Dame of perfumery: everyone who is 'serious' about perfume has a favorite Guerlain, or a herd of favorite Guerlains. They're certainly doing something right: they've been doing this for generations now. But for me, if I jettisoned all my Guerlains tomorrow, I'd miss them only occasionally, and then quickly select something else.

Cahrin

Reaction score
Jubilation today. This is my second wearing. Still can't decide whether I'm on board or not. Fairly certain I love it, but I'm not quite there yet.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rose Ikebana today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads