Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

My thoughts exactly sort of. I wore it for perhaps the 3rd or 4th time last night and I think it's starting to fall on the "no thanks" side of the fence for me. There's a bit of a "classic BO" smell that comes through every once in awhile; my wrist has never had BO before the last week or so. I like the fruit/berries on top, but they are really restricted to just the top in my experience.

...would love to acquire some Tiffany.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

If you like chanel PM, you'll love the Tiffany. They're by the same parfumeur, from the same period. You can still get it from the Tiffany boutiques, but I don't think it's widely distributed. It's really quite a lovely scent for officewear. Aside from Bond no. 9 Riverside Drive, it's one of the best "rich uncle" scents. :)

I love chanel PM, so it's hard for me to say I like the Tiffany "better," but it's really lovely in a "safe" way (though not "boring safe" like most Creeds.) I tend to like wild stinkers, so 'safe' often just doesn't cut it in my book. :lol: I think it's great to have as a fallback scent for meeting with clients or where you need to be conservative, without being boring and/or smelling like the latest boring aquatic.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

T-Rex - I don't have a favorite Guerlain. In fact, I don't even have a Guerlain that I actually like enough to own some of. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Today - L'Artisan Nuit de Tuberose - I guarantee this would be a hit with you guys who like the lighter, flowery scents. Nice, but a bit too light for me.

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

I thought I'd like this one more than I do. Over time I've come to like it more, but it's still not one of my favorites and probably never will be. The source of the problem for me is the pepper. If it were a light tuberose without that pepper note, I'm pretty sure I'd love it.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The pepper note was the only reason it was wearable for me. Otherwise, it would definitely be a Cupcake special.

6. L'Incandescent

Histoires de Parfums 1876 today. This is an animalic rose, roughly in the same category as Twill Rose and Rose Poivree. It's more complex than either of those, though. It's also more office-friendly. The top is a really tangy citrus that's very pleasant, but that dissipates almost immediately. The floral heart is not just rose, but also some violet. The official notes say carnation too, but I don't get much, if any, of that. As it dries down, it becomes pleasantly sweet in a way that the other animalic roses don't. I get a light vanilla with a little bit of musk. I like this a lot.

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

first time trying Caron Pour Homme (thanks Kevinsp8)... to me, it strongly resembles Jicky, without all the civet. I'm digging this a lot. tapers off quite quickly in terms of sillage and projection but certainly a much more approachable lighter wearing jicky. I can see myself growing into this one.

[​IMG]

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Whelp, that's a no go then!

9. L'Incandescent

It's more similar to Twill Rose than to Rose Poivree FWIW. And as best I can judge, it doesn't smell like any of the unwashed parts of a lady. That's probably not a ringing endorsement, but it deserves to be said at least!

10. giony

giony Senior member

The bottle is very seductive :)

[​IMG]

Juliette Has a Gun- Midnight Oud today, dirty rose dipped in honey, densely with tiny wood flakes but couldn't say oud was there. Longevity about 4hrs.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I can't say that I understand how a neon purple bottle is seductive. But hey!, to each their own.

Also, Juliette Has a Gun is now my new favorite company name. Narrowly beating out Alan Cumming.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

This is a very suspect phrase...

13. L'Incandescent

Yeah, I always forget which parts a lady is supposed to have and which parts a guy is supposed to have; it's my Achilles' heel. :embar: It's not the worst thing in the world, though, because I always get a surprise.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Aww Cupcake. You know I love you, ambiguity and all. :inlove:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  15. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I will counter your Rochas Femme with some vintage Madame Rochas today. Very different from Rochas Femme, which is a wonderful sultry smutty little stinker by my fave Roudnitska. This one is a softer, quieter, floral aldehyde by Guy Robert (nose behind Amouage Gold, Hermes Equipage, Doblis, and Caleche, Dioressence, etc.).

Anything with aldehydes is automatically compared to Chanel no. 5, even though really side by side I think the Rochas is infinitely more wearable. Less powder, more florals (rose, jasmine, lily), a lovelier, creamier base (orris/sandalwood/vetiver, and a little sheer musk). It's probably too feminine for most of you big hunky dudes, but if you or can wear things like Eau Premiere, Mitsouko, Shalimar, etc. then you could definitely do this.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011