Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Going back to my summer "fallback" scent today... Eau de Lalique.

2. willpower

willpower Senior member

One can have a small but very good collection for less than $150 total. It would be enough juice to last half a decade.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  3. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Yesterday: Amouage Jubilation XXV. I hate to say it, but I don't get the hype. It's good, but not outstanding.

Today: Miller et Bertaux Om

4. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

That one has really grown on me. When I first got it, I was very disappointed. Now, when my 5 ml sample is almost used up, I actually like it quite a bit.

Yesterday: Muscs Koublai Khan.
    Today: Back to Black

5. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

Today: Aventus. Even in the 2 weeks since I got the fragrance the ashiness has dissipated and resulted in a significant amount of pineapple in the top notes. Applied it at 8 AM this morning, can barely smell it on one wrist (and can't at all on the other) now.

6. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

My Aventus batch (from Billy if I recall correctly) is all pineapple which apparently is a "good" batch by all online standards; I find it drifts away after about 2 hours to leave something, but I can't say I'm too fond of whatever that base accord is. Thus, that particular fragrance isn't really for me. Like clothing, the ability to wear warm, textured layers in the F/W is what I really long for. Aventus to me is a flashy blazer over a plain white tee. Meh.

Today I wore Mitsouko. I'm learning to be content with this one, even applied liberally on a warm day, but my girl doesn't like it (somewhat interestingly considering it's a feminine) and I find it a bit one dimensional. I'm fascinated by chypres in general because they're so dynamic and always evolving. I think by the time the classic chypre drydown expresses itself in Mitsouko my nose is tired from being bombarded by peach and citrus rind all day. I guess I have much to learn yet from Mitsouko.

Received OJ Man and XXV from Rambo today (cheers, BTW) - will likely wear XXV tonight to see what the fuss is about.

7. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Perhaps I'll revisit it. I have only about 1 wear remaining in the sample I've got.

8. rach2jlc

+1.
    You could round out the entire scent family with some classics for that:

Citrus/Summer scents: Monsieur Balmain (~$20) or Eau de Lalique (~$20-25)
    Daywear: Caron 3eme Man ($25-30)
    Spicy or Evening Wear: Balmain de Balmain ($20-25), Gucci PH (original one by TF, $20-25), Michael Kors Man ($20-25), Giorgio Red for Men ($20-25), Giorgio Men ($20-25)
    Gourmand: Hanae Mori for men (ranges, but in the $25 range)
    Others: YSL Rive Gauche PH ($20-25); Bvlgari Black ($20-25)

And then with $25-40 left over to get one other "neat" one that you might like.
    Other possibilities: Caron scents (generally quite cheap, super spicy Yatagan, Caron pour un homme, and L'anarchiste)
    Guerlain scents (minstream or Edt scents very reasonable, especially L'instant Pour Homme, Mitsouko, Shalimar. SADLY Jicky and Chamade are too $$$)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  9. giony

giony Senior member

Kilian Taste of Heaven today, dude makes nice perfumes but the price for his lacquered box is too damn high.:lol:

10. rach2jlc

+1. I've mentioned my dislike of his scents only because I'm wildly jealous of him and his life (haha)

Bellodgia today. Can't recommend it for you manly men, but if you like carnation and want the best soliflore on the market with it as a note, it's essential. Also, vintage juice not hacked by Fraysse (current Caron nose) is easily/cheaply available on teh interwebz. New stuff isn't BAD, of course, but still... I'm on an anti-reformulation campaign this month.

11. willpower

willpower Senior member

12. rach2jlc

Vintage Fidji de Guy Laroche parfum/extrait tonight for going out.

This one was a major trendsetter back in the 1960's... a fresh, green, crisp floral with a hint of spice and aldehydes. I expected much more sillage, but it's quite subdued. Very unique, and unfortunately not available in this concentration anymore.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  13. tps16

tps16 Senior member

Today, ADP Colonia Assoluta

14. giony

giony Senior member

Was in the mood for drinks so went with Frapin 1270, well, TGIF :D

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  15. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Creed Fantasia de Fleurs today. This one was designed especially for AWA World Heavyweight Champion Nick Bockwinkel, who wore it in lieu of a championship belt from 1975 to 1980 and then again in 1982.

This is a beautiful old-fashioned floral. Rich and heady, featuring a gorgeous rose note complemented by a somewhat indolic jasmine. I'm liking this one a lot so far.