Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Lutens Feminite du Bois for me today. This is my first time wearing this, and so far I'm struck by how similar it is to the vintage Rochas Femme, especially at the top, which features dark candied fruits--the plum is especially prominent--along with cinnamon and clove. I'd say it's a bit fruitier and less dry than Rochas Femme. As it dries down it becomes sweeter and warmer, with notes of honey and vanilla complementing the spices. The bold fruits recedes into the background, but they remain perceptible throughout. It's very well blended: the different notes don't fight each other for attention, but complement each other nicely. I think this will be a lot better in fall and winter than in the summer.

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

CdG Incense 3: Jaisalmer today.

[​IMG]

3. L'Incandescent

Chinatown today. This is my favorite Bond No. 9.

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

When Bond does it right, it's magical. There are a number of them in the line that are really quite wonderful. I also like some of the lesser known ones, like West Broadway (which is a lovely sweet scent, something along the lines of Fresh cannabis santal, Hanae Mori men, etc.) Fire Island was another I liked for summer... like super-luxe suntan lotion. :)

Today vintage YSL "Y" parfum. I wore this one a week or two back... it's another classic 1960's Chypre, though not as exciting or dark as Miss Dior, Givenchy III, etc. This one feels more restrained, more refined. That's nice and all, but the hint of animalic funk in the Dior is what makes it stand out. This one feels like what Creed would so with a chypre. Still, though, it's very nice and unique... and (true to YSL) has just a hint of something deeper in it... though it's so quiet.

5. L'Incandescent

Bois 1920 La Vaniglia today. This is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It opens with an extremely sweet, rich vanilla that reminds me of vanilla pudding. If it stayed that way, it would be unbearably sweet. Thankfully it doesn't. Very quickly a strong, smoky incense and some peppery notes arrive to balance the vanilla. The official description suggests that there are some fruity notes, but I don't get that at all. Longevity is excellent. I think this would be better suited to fall and winter, but I like it too much not to wear it now!

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Today, Caron Pour Un Homme, just to wear a lavender, and because I keep forgetting I have Mouchoir de Monsieur (and agua Lavanda) somewhere in the closet.

Anyway, any opinions on Habit Rouge EdP? I have the EdT and seldom wear it.

7. willpower

willpower Senior member

Nancy Boy Signature Scent Body Spray. If you ever want to smell like a spa, this is the one.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

This sounds right up my alley.

No more bottles for you!

Today - CdG Monocole Hinoki. Nice spicy opening and middle. Sadly, longevity wasn't all that spectacular.

9. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^ well, now that the mania has passed, I decided to skip the EdP. Besides - and this was surprisingly hard to realize - I don't think I've yet found a Guerlain that has really demanded that I wear it. Not the recent ones, not the 'classics' - none of them. And I probably have tried and/or owned more scents from Guerlain than any 2 other houses put together, found some likeable scents but nothing that jumps out of the drawer and says "Wear ME!"

For instance, today I'm wearing L'Instant pour Homme, and it's good. Well-blended, quality ingredients, satisfying to wear. But I can go months and not once pull the L'Instant bottle or even think about it, and that goes for pretty well all the Guerlains I still have (some I actively avoid!)

Which is unsettling because Guerlain is the Grande Dame of perfumery: everyone who is 'serious' about perfume has a favorite Guerlain, or a herd of favorite Guerlains. They're certainly doing something right: they've been doing this for generations now. But for me, if I jettisoned all my Guerlains tomorrow, I'd miss them only occasionally, and then quickly select something else.

10. Cahrin

Cahrin Senior member

Jubilation today. This is my second wearing. Still can't decide whether I'm on board or not. Fairly certain I love it, but I'm not quite there yet.

11. L'Incandescent

Rose Ikebana today.

12. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Tiffany for Men today. This one is a classic gentlemanly chypre excellent for business/daywear. Despite its softness, it's got incredible sillage and longevity and with overapplication can knock you down.

It's perfect for meetings, though nothing so wild and exciting as I'd normally like. But, if I have to meet with a panel of Deans to discuss research funding, the last thing I want to do is go in with a civet-monster. :lol:

13. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

working through my samples, day after day...

today, out of a decant from the end of my bottle, Versace Blue Jeans. I'm considering rebuying this bottle (only $20). IMO it's a great value frag.

today it's giving me strong Guerlain Heritage vibes... maybe the pepper/mace, lavender, and some sort of citrus?

what's the concensus on Santal 33? I'm working through some wood frags and heard this one's amazing.

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

^^ Unimpressed with Santal 33, and I got my sample from someone who detested it thoroughly. I preferred Oud 27.

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Continually impressed with the variety everyone sports on here.

I have my little rotation of six or so, and that's that.

Creed VIW today.