Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. willpower

willpower Senior member

I like Intensa, it's a long lasting fragrance - certainly longer lasting than the original AdP Colonia. It has a cedar/leather/citrus rind drydown that's pretty nice. Essenza is their newest one and a lot of people like it as well. They also have a line of body spray-like scents which I don't especially care for.

2. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

Givenchy Pi for office today. Aside from TdH, Pi is one of the longer lasting ones in my wardrobe. I think I may have spoiled it with heat in my room tho... :confused: Still... not as cloying as I originally thought (especially for summer)

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

:) From Baron's decant. Good stuff. I can tell it's a Guerlain. To me, it shares some similarities with Vetiver and Habit Rouge.

I've tried Knize Ten, which I like very much. Have not tried any of the other leathers. Of all the big houses, I think Chanel is my favorite. I'll have to give 19 and their Cuir de Russie a try.

Not wearing scent today. Maybe later.

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Ah, Baron! He's spreading the wealth. :) Definitely give them a try! But, in the EdT concentration, you won't get as much leather as you might expect (from either one.) No. 19, in the EdT, you might say, "Where is the leather rach mentioned?" It's there, in the base, but you'll get a large green chypre first. In the Parfum, though, there is a lovely leather/oakmoss base, though now not quite as deep/funky since it has been reformulated. Cuir de Russie is a wonderful, kinda stinky, soft leather that in the parfum just might make you never buy another fragrance. And, at $300 a pop, it may LITErALLY make you never buy another fragrance (haha). Today a layering experiment... Kiehl's musk edt with Diorissimo. Deep, funky musk with a lily topnote. It's really quite lovely... earthy/animalic/ but crisp on top with the lily. It smells like what a 19th century flower-picker in france might have smelled like at the end of a long, hot, sweaty day of flower picking (haha)

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Seriously, if you guys are considering picking up Chanel Cuir de Russie, you owe it to yourselves to buy the pure parfum. Its leaps and bounds ahead of the edt.

Today - Amouage Memoir Man - I really, really like this. Longevity is very good so far, its kind of got a spicy citrus note to it, but not peppery like Piper Nigrum. This might be a good decant candidate.

6. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Speaking of les Exclusifs, I wore Coromandel today. It is such an easy wear; as a "deeper" feminine I find it is only moderately heavy in terms of the masculine scale. i suppose it's more of a winter scent by definition as a gourmand-patchouli, but in Chanel fashion this is smooth and quite creamy. I can see this being a go-to for me in the future as I'm in winter climate 8 months of the year and in a profession where my wrists/chest are within a foot of others' sniffers all day every day. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd guess this is easy on the average lay nose.

I just acquired some Cuir de Russie (Chanel) from a very friendly SF member. My lady likes it so far, but I've been putting it off largely until Fall. You guys seem to describe it similarly to what I just said about Coromandel; if that's the case, I'll pull it out earlier.

7. rach2jlc

I'd wait until Fall. I don't find CdR a particularly wintery scent (though it's still good), but in cooler weather like fall, it's heavenly. Summer I would avoid and stick to lighter ones. Even no. 19 starts to sour in the heat.

8. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Our middle-of-August high today was 14C/57F, so sadly it might be that time already. Thanks for the heads up.

...as an aside: This is such a strange hobby I tell you; sometimes I almost have to laugh at my drawer of expensive pee-coloured juice vials with extravagant names. I neither have too much time or too much money. Nobody else can ever smell me. Why do I do this? Do I just want to be part of "the club"? Is it my desire to deconstruct things and try to identify components? Am I subconsciously terrified that I have BO? On the plus side (I suppose?), many of the daily, natural smells that I used to find revolting - some normal and some abnormal - I now find tolerable and even interesting.

I imagine you folks are also oenophiles or coffee-freaks or music/art connoisseurs? I guess this is a style board, so perhaps this query is rhetorical. How can I learn to spend my money on useless, simple junk like everyone else?

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Giving my Creed Original Santal another run at a summer day. Not as overpowering as last time, having used less. Settling into the vanilla and tonka that I love.

10. rach2jlc

I completely disagree. For some reason, it is "okay" to make fun of/question/devalue the importance of fragrances/perfumes, or to pretend like they are effeminate, wasteful, etc. Why don't we do the same things with music, or art? That shelf of expensive CDs serves what purpose? Ah, that's right, it' satisfies your sense of hearing with the pinnacles of beauty that match that sense.

What about the expensive art on your wall? Ah, that's right, satisfied the sense of sight. Why wear expensive fabrics? Ah, that's right... sense of touch.

What is a perfume, if not beautiful music or a great painting for your nose?

I see fragrance as yet just another in the search for the superlative in sense. Really, scent is the most evocative sense we have, closely connected to memory. That we don't "train" it or value it enough is bizarre to me, and the same people who spend $10,000 in audio equipment will giggle at somebody who buys a $150 bottle of perfume.

Quite frankly, a $300 bottle of CdR, which is like Picasso, Gris, or Kandinsky for the nose... is an absolute bargain. Have you tried to see what kind of Picasso you can get for $300?

In short, I think some people are committed to exploring and expanding their senses, as that is what makes life enjoyable. Good clothes, good art, good music, all are components of this... otherwise we'd all live in stark white boxes and drive metal hulks with an engine. If you enjoy sensory experiences, whatever they are, you should also enjoy fine fragrances. And, overall, I'm certain that you spend less on perfume than you do on music, art, or clothes.

Don't feel guilty, go sniff. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

11. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

The last line of my post was definitely sarcastic.

I am pretty sure I know why I do this and I think it is the need to "fill out my sensory experiences" as you suggested. In no way am I ashamed of what makes me happy, but sometimes I wish I wasn't so hard to please. If I had lower standards like the rest of the world perhaps I could spend less time researching the complexities of life and spend more time writing my thesis or watching Real Housewives with my lady.

...and thus I enter my quarter-life crisis.

Anyway, I'm going to clean the slate with a shower and throw on CdG 888 for overpriced dinner and drinks with Ms. Notreknip - a foodie in the truest form. I guess she's the taster/feeler and I'm the visual/auditory/sniffer; I'd be happy to hold my territory and she hold hers.

12. rach2jlc

Of course! I was sort of replying both to you and in general to others, as in these fragrance threads we've had many times where people giggle and say, "Durp, what a dumb hobby to have!" and then they mention spending $200 on a bottle of wine, or $1000 for a pair of boots. My point is only to say that all of these experiences are comparable, and you either enjoy the good taste freely, or don't. I don't think we can judge/pick what is a "better" use of money, because really all art, music, and fine clothes are wasteful if we are simply viewing them in a utilitarian sense.

I think it is best to be hard to please... over time, it shows that your training of your senses is working and developing. Scent is the most interesting, because we don't "know" that we're training it. It's not like knowing what to listen for in a piece of music... it comes all of a sudden. "WOW! I just smelled the jasmine" is pretty fun. Or, likewise as you said, some scents you couldn't stand before you now find interesting.

Reminds me how as a kid I tried dry red wine for the first time and thought people who enjoyed it must be batshit insane. Now I love it. "refining" your tastes is both an adventure and a program of study.

Enjoy your dinner!

13. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

And with that, I know why I got into this a few years back - I just wanted an excuse to click this thread and read your posts. Cheers.

14. jakejake

jakejake Senior member

15. giony

giony Senior member

Put on Coromandel this morning, I can see some might be turned down by first sniff of the sweetness of frankincense. Then you get this earthy after-rain wet green soil note, slowly fading into musk + amber, fascinating! One of the best new releases (which aren't re-releases) from Les Exclusifs IMO.

For me, Les Exclusifs EdTs are all on the light side, summer friendly scents, even with CdR and could be a bit underwhelming in winter.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011