Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Oh, that's too bad. It was by no means a scent I enjoyed (IIRC I gave it a neutral rating on Basenotes), but it definitely was a "must try" if one is searching for frags with a sea-salt note.

Today I'm going with a SOTD exploration of Lily. Diorissimo on one arm and L'instant de Guerlain on the other (the original Roucel one, not "pour homme.")

Diorissmo, as I've said many times, is a direct, gorgeous lily soliflore... while L'instant is a very sweet lily with a vanilla/creamy/confectionary base. Far too heavy to wear in this heat, but interestingly it JUST keeps from being cloying (probably thanks to Roucel, who is a master of 'sweet gourmand that won't kill you.')

2. willpower

willpower Senior member

Indeed.

CB IHP White Soap Accord essential oil pour moi. Uncanny in replication, but little more than a soap accord.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

couple more i forgot to mention:
    1. L’Artisan Parfumeur - Cote d’Amour
    2. The Different Company - Sel de Vetiver... (this one's a maybe) - interesting to note that #1 was also done by Celine Elenna

no shame there, it's a good basic frag. not terribly exciting, but never out of place.

Today I'm working through the Ineke lineup, samples will be going in the box.

4. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

What else would you suggest? I am up for trying new fragrances but not sure where to start. Im 21 and in undergrad and I wear cologne on a daily basis.

Thanks

-CT

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

OK, I'm back! For the time being, or at least until my application for residence under a highway overpass gets approved.

I've been working on some of my sample backlog the past few days. Standouts so far have been Profumum Antico Caruso, PdN pour homme (I think Willpower recommend those to me so thanks buddy!), and Tauer un rose chypre.

losers so far - l'artisan l'eau de navigateur (this ran into "unwashed cunt" territory for me.), CdG Sequoia (nothing special), Tauer incense rose (too flowery), and PdN l'temps de une (did I forget to apply a scent?)

Also, had a few drops of XXV leftover in the bottle so I dabbed them on Monday. Predictably, it was gone within 2 hours. This is the best $50 that I ever spent!

6. Master-Classter

Hmmm, that's a little vague... my first recommendation is to browse around Basenotes.net and the Youtube review community to get some basic ideas of what the fragrance world looks like and some of the top rec's, then go out and sniff a bunch, make some notes, and then come back focused. It's easier to recommend 5 things to Whodini because he says 'I'm looking for salty frags"...

If you have a good idea of what you like (either a list of what you currently wear or certain families, or certain notes, etc) then it's easier to come back to you with something.

7. willpower

willpower Senior member

Band name! I get first dibs.

8. willpower

willpower Senior member

Whoops, doublepost

Try Mugler Cologne. It's light/clean/fresh and won't offend any fellow classmates. Green juice in clear bottle. Should be at Sephora.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

no like? :( I like

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lalique Equus today.
    A nice woodsy green. Maybe a little juniper berry. Anyone else like this?

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Holy shit! Where the fuck did you come from?

12. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Wearing Dior Leather Oud today.

Had some free time so I stopped by the store and tried a bunch of stuff, including the much praised Black Orchid. Quite liked it but I noticed the one I tried was the Voile de Fleur and not the original. Supposedly the original one has less floral elements? Is the original Black Orchid still in production?

13. Master-Classter

I just meant Who was looking for salty frags, which tend to be aquatics, so this is a vetiver frag with salt... ie if it's expensive or hard to find then probably to skip compared to some of the other rec's

interesting you should say that... the VdF is the discontinued one, pretty cheap on eBay too. I don't think I've smelled it but apparently the original is stronger and less powder. Worth trying, but not for everyone and not for all seasons... as they say 'it's a grower' :satisfied:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011

14. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Yesterday: Hermes Equipage
    Today: Chanel Cuir de Russie

15. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Rochas Femme vintage pdt