• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Dior Leather Oud today.

Had some free time so I stopped by the store and tried a bunch of stuff, including the much praised Black Orchid. Quite liked it but I noticed the one I tried was the Voile de Fleur and not the original. Supposedly the original one has less floral elements? Is the original Black Orchid still in production?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

no like? :( I like

I just meant Who was looking for salty frags, which tend to be aquatics, so this is a vetiver frag with salt... ie if it's expensive or hard to find then probably to skip compared to some of the other rec's

Wearing Dior Leather Oud today. Had some free time so I stopped by the store and tried a bunch of stuff, including the much praised Black Orchid. Quite liked it but I noticed the one I tried was the Voile de Fleur and not the original. Supposedly the original one has less floral elements? Is the original Black Orchid still in production?

interesting you should say that... the VdF is the discontinued one, pretty cheap on eBay too. I don't think I've smelled it but apparently the original is stronger and less powder. Worth trying, but not for everyone and not for all seasons... as they say 'it's a grower' :satisfied:

Last edited:

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday: Hermes Equipage
Today: Chanel Cuir de Russie

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rochas Femme vintage pdt

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Rochas Femme vintage pdt

Yum! I'm jealous. I want a vintage supply! ;)

Chanel no. 19 parfum (vintage) today.

I mentioned earlier finding a "mother load" of good scents. After doing some searching/study, I realized that one of the no. 19 parfums is vintage, the other current (post-oakmoss reformulation, it would appear.)

I hate to jump continually on the 'wow the past was better' bandwagon, but the vintage no. 19 has a wonderful, earthy green leather accord that is much paler in the new juice. The leather/oakmoss blend in the old is more pronounced, and is less "soft" than in the current stuff. It makes for a much more interesting experience, a much deeper feel with more contrast. the new stuff is still good, don't get me wrong, and it obviously wants to be the "same" scent, but every little clash and contrast between the leather/oakmoss/green/floral notes is quite pronounced without an attempt to make them "friendly" in the older juice. I love it.

It makes me long for some vintage Tabac Blond. I have extrait from the recent stock (gotten from the NYC Caron store last year), and it's lovely... but I would think it suffers from a similar experience of reformulation... the clashing contrasts toned down, the peaks and valleys more muted. :(

Last edited:

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Didn't they just rerelease #19?

Not unless you been Rip Van Winklin' that **** since 1971... ;)

J/k, but it's been available steadily since then, IIRC... I think it was no. 21 (or no. 23?) that was rereleased in teh Les Exclusifs, maybe? Not sure.

No, 19 has also been revamped a number of times, in various concentrations, and has had other concentrations pulled from certain markets. Chanel pulled their "let's make a friendly, totally different fragrance as an EdP," and then also for a time has an EdC, a non-alcohol Cologne spray, a body mist, and then the regular Edt and parfum, which (like no. 5) are closer to the originals. Chanel is very slippery, IMHO, with how it does its scents. You rarely know what you are getting, and I think they've pulled the pure parfum from the US market, only sellin the EdT and the EdP now (IIRc.) In Europe and Japan, though, you can still get the parfum anywhere that sells Chanel stuff.

And, since no. 19 is a chypre par excellence, it's also been reformulated and played with during all the oakmoss debacle.

Speaking of EdP formulations, I'll go with no. 5 EdP today.

Last edited:

giony

Reaction score
^^^
He meant the Chanel 19 Poudre? The newest reformulated one that added musk and more powdery as I heard.

Today, using the Bond no.9 New York Oud sample, got mostly rose+vanilla. I liked it before checked the msrp..:fu:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

^^^
He meant the Chanel 19 Poudre? The newest reformulated one that added musk and more powdery as I heard.

Yup, that's the one.

today - Parfum Generale L'Ombre Fauvre - Its powdery with a bit of musky funk to it. I like it. I only put it on a few hours ago so we'll see how long it lasts.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yup, that's the one.

today - Parfum Generale L'Ombre Fauvre - Its powdery with a bit of musky funk to it. I like it. I only put it on a few hours ago so we'll see how long it lasts.

Wow, neato. I had no idea there was such a thing! :) I liked the no. 5 eau premiere... so if the Poudre is anything like a "eau premiere" for no. 19, I'd probably sign up.

I probably need to use the 300 mls or so of various no. 19 concentrations I have before buying more, though. lol

giony

Reaction score
Man I really can't stand no.5, sorry, Prof. Fabulous! My mother (used to) only use Chanel no.5 as our bathroom refresher, please don't ask me why, I didn't ask and I didn't care. It's like this dark cloud over my head everytime I smell no.5.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Man I really can't stand no.5, sorry, Prof. Fabulous! My mother (used to) only use Chanel no.5 as our bathroom refresher, please don't ask me why, I didn't ask and I didn't care. It's like this dark cloud over my head everytime I smell no.5.

It's okay; I have the same thing with Guerlain Habit Rouge, due to a dorm-mate in college who wore it ad nauseum without showering, and who was (even filth aside) a truly reprehensible person. :lol:

I don't LIKE no. 5, either... I find it interesting, but it's not a fave. I have a botlte I picked up very cheaply because I wanted to give it many wearings to figure out what was going on... but it would definitely not be in my top 10, even top 20, list.

Edit to below:

Oh yeah, if you expected light citrus from A*Men, you must have been surprised!

Try Hanae mori men, too. It's also a gourmand chocolate, but slightly less candy and more refinement. I really like it as well. Fresh Cannabis Santal would be another to try.

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SOTD = Thierry Mugler's A*Men

Smells like a coffee house on my arm. Lot's of chocolate and vanilla with a bit of caramel and then the roasted bean note. Not what I was expecting at all, given it sits on the Nordstrom shelf next to crisper things like Versace and YSL L'Homme. My initial reaction was "WTF?", but it's calming down a bit and just settling into some sweet tonka and a bit of peppermint. I suspect I could like it, but my initial reaction was just so thrown by expecting a citrusy/crisp/metallic sort of deal (just based on where it was located) that I'll have to give it a second go.

And what's more, it's not horribly expensive.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yesterday: Ungaro II
Today: Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics