Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

This may be just a bunch of BS/conspiracy theory garbage, but I think there's some credibility behind or, or at least it doesn't quite pass my personal 'smell test' so here goes:

IFRA Regular Members are:

Givaudan
    Firmenich
    IFF
    Symrise
    Takasago
    Robertet

http://www.ifraorg.org/en-us/ifra_membership_2 (3/4 down the page or so)

In other words, pretty much anyone who composes or manufactures scents or flavorings on a large scale. They own the patents on any scent molecules they create, so when Dior Homme came forth with its new synthetic iris...one of the Big 6 benefited accordingly. Also, the recent synthetic Oud that led to the Oud explosion of a few years back...again, a Big 6 invention. Sometimes they do tend to run parallel though, so monopolies on a scent seldom last all that long.

So, this IFRA (Big 6) is behind the push to restrict/ban natural ingredients and extracts (oakmoss being among the most prevalent). What's left to put in the bottles? Synthetics. That they, more or less, own the patents to.

The problem with the fragrance houses is that they're no match for the Big 6 (who are the only game in town unless you go niche or in-house), and certainly no match for public health hysteria and general perfume backlash. Anyone who has shared a car/bus/train/plane/stadium with someone wearing Amarige certainly would not object to THAT crap being banned, and so from there it's a small step to banning other ingredients/scents. (FWIW, Mrs. T sometimes wears Amarige and even finds the bottle after I've hidden it. Someday I will get smart and hide it in one of the trash cans).

So, the perfume industry holds their nose and reformulates. This, though gives them an out for cheapening a scent but not reducing their price. "It's not our fault the IFRA banned oakmoss, what can we do? We did the best we could. It's close enough." And, it's not like anything else out there is still holding up the ol' Golden Standard anyway. If Guerlain and Chanel have reformulated (and they have, everything, top-to-bottom), everyone else will follow suit, even down to Coty (which proves that reformulation is hardly a new phenomenon, if you read up on Chypre for a few moments).

Incidentally, I heard that Guerlain reformulated Homme and supposedly made even that 'vastly inferior' to its original self. I asked whether it was now a deodorant.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. willpower

willpower Senior member

I'll add Creed Erolfa. Not a salt fan myself, but this definitely has the note.

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

4. willpower

willpower Senior member

Hey, some great stuff in there. Bookmarked. thx

Acqua di Selva today. If it's good enough for Richard Lewis, it's good enough for me. No wonder it comes in jug size - nice, but a disappearing act.

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Great post, T, and definitely makes sense. DEFINITELY is more in line with the "follow the money" rule of the universe to which I subscribe, and I like this version better than the EU Progressive Nanny-state (which probably plays a part on the surface.)

Yikes, how in the world could Guerlain dilute and screw up Homme? It was already bland enough as it was. "Guerlain Homme: now with a virgin Mojito accord!" ;)

Creative Universe "Mare."

I really liked this one and, strangely enough because it has odd notes, got a lot of compliments on it. I rarely get compliments on individual scents, or if I do they are haphazard. PP actually would get almost unanimous praise, not just from coworkers/colleagues who have good "noses," but from the convenience store clerk, the waitress at a coffee shop, etc. People who generally never compliment, or say anything beyond the "required" customer service, were going out of there way to say, "wow, you smell great today." The only moment of iffy-ness was if somebody ever asked, "What is that?" to say, "Oh, it's L'artisan Parfumeur Poivre Piquant." They looked at me like an alien from Planet Kleptplorr, so I just took to saying "pwauv pick-ant." haha

All this talk of no oakmoss has made me decide on dipping into my vintage stock of Miss Dior, AKA oakmoss extraordinaire.

6. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

just took delivery of a bottle of concentree d'orange verte, so currently wearing that... it's a limited edition, but after much research I'm pretty sure it's just a different bottle and box, same juice. This juice is quite simple but I find it infinitely useful and nice without being offensive.

Decant going in the swap box.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Since the Fragrance Split thread is down I wanted to post an update here - all the Amouage splits are done and ready to go out Monday. I've got one 10ml portion left over for anybody who wants it. $45. PM me if you're interested.

Sorry again for all the delays guys. I really appreciate you all bearing with me on this. I promise that once I get up and running again (and the forum figures out how the fuck we can run a split thread), I'll get the ball rolling with some more splits.

-A

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

[​IMG]

Took this a few months ago, but thought it was a good representation of everything that is wrong with men's fragrance in America.

9. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Erolfa got great reviews so I added it with the Sel Marin, Bvlgari, and Kenzo. Thanks, guys.

10. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Just add some large breasted bikini-clad Asian women and you'd come close to my version of Hell.

It may have gotten buried in my long post, but also definitely try Creative Universe Mare. Erolfa sea-salt, and then more sea salt, and then a beach, and the ocean, and then more sea salt. ;) You can usually find it on ebay pretty easily, or at smaller perfume shops (also relatively affordable, IIRC)

Moustache de Rochas (vintage!) for my SOTD today. Like a less "crisp" Eau Sauvage, with more civet and funk. Sort of Eau S's stinky old grandfather. (also made by the same parfumeur!)

Edit: F*&% it, I'm wearing Tabac Blond today.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  11. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Chanel Allure, not sure what you guys think about it but it is an improvement from what I would wear before (Aqua di Gio) :plain:

12. giony

giony Senior member

Washed myself with 10 full spray of Eau d'Orange Verte soon after saw your post, predictablely, lasted just less than one and a half hours. Had to put on Knize Ten layered with Une Rose!

like 1/3 bottle left, I use it a lot when working out :D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Looks discontinued...

14. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

Rose 31 today. I learned that if you overapply this, it is really unpleasant and headache inducing.