Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

My experience with scent is that it is SUCH a personal, esoteric sense that you can never truly "appreciate" something if you don't "like" it. For example, I can appreciate a novel that I really don't like... if it is extremely well written or constructed. Same with a movie; I may not "like" it, but I can appreciate its artistry. I can even do it with painting or art, somewhat.

I can conceptually appreciate what a scent wants to do, in some ways, but really that never follows through either to wearing it, purchasing it, or doing more than talking about it as an "idea" to other fragrance fans.

You just can't "conceptualize" your sense of smell, I think. It is such a combination of personal, unconscious, unreflected, sometimes downright selfish motivations, coupled with a brute animal sense. We like "good" smells, but are attracted sometimes to "bad" smells. We like a smell because it triggers a memory for us of something, or we hate an otherwise good scent because of some sort of bad memory.

"Habit Rouge," a wonderful scent, unfortunately has memories for me of a person in college who was the most reprehensible human being I've ever met, who also had terrible hygiene, but wore HR with about 12 sprays every time he left his dorm.

In short, I applaud the effort of a fragrance reviewer or wearer of all scents, but really I think they are trying the impossible and sort of making things up as they go. You either like a scent or hate it, period. All the rest is just chatter. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

2. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Krigler's Good Fir.

I love wood scents like CdG's Sequoia, Wonderwood, etc. but have stuck to cedar or eucalyptus-based fragrances because I was always afraid of ending up smelling like Pine Sol if I went with pine. The top notes are of very bright fir but dries down sweet and slightly spicy. Might have to make this an every-day wear. I'm really impressed.

3. rach2jlc

Have you tried Art of Shaving Sandalwood? It's eucalyptus, eucalyptus, and more eucalyptus. There is supposedly sandalwood in there, hence the name... but I get... quelle surprise... eucalyptus. (haha)

Also, if you want something a little $$$, Creed windsor has a eucalyptus note quite prominent. There are a few big Windsor fans around these parts, IIRC.

Creed Epicea was a pine scent I enjoyed and find much more interesting than the current blander Himalaya/GIT Creeds, but a lot of people find it dated. I find it a decent pine/spice scent, though.

I haven't tried Krigler's... actually it's the first I've heard of it... so I may have to give it a sniff. Thanks for adding it!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

4. whodini

I read the reviews on Sandalwood before but got a little freaked out by some claims of it being over the top, almost sickeningly so. I'll keep my eye out for Windsor. Would love to add a nice eucalyptus to my garden.

I forgot to add CdG's Palisander to my wood list (zing!)

I hadn't heard of Krigler's, either, until a split came up for it or Cedar. Not enough people to fill the Cedar so I went with Fir and am glad I did, although I'm anxious to try the rest of the line.

I'd love to hear some recs for salt scents. I've enjoyed Acqua de Sale and Quercia Marina but am on the look out for others.

I think tomorrow will be Tauer's L'air du desert marocain. Love that stuff.

5. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Heeley has one called Sel Marine, and then there's Bvlgari Aqua plus the Aqua Marine flanker that are both fairly salty aquatics.

if you like Wonderwood and want eucalyptus, then there's Armani Privee's Bois D'Encense. look for the small wood square bottles at armani store and some high end retail shops. Retail's like $150/50ml but they can sometimes be found online for less (the refills).

6. whodini

I love Heely's stuff like Cardinal so I'll check out Sel Marine. I'm surprised I hadn't come across it before.

I had read about Privee but never came across a sample of it to try. Retail sounds a bit high, even for Armani.

Thanks for the recs, MC!

7. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Senior member

Special thanks to rach and willpower for their emphasis, especially on the aventus batch # info and introducing me to basenotes. I'm going to be bat shit about scents in the next coming months, I can smell it already. BTW I tried Sycomore today... Dear mother that is a wondrous scent especially when it finally settles in. One of my coworkers told me "you always smell good but now you smell like a MAN." I was going to buy but they said they were out of the small size.

8. Goombi

Goombi Senior member

Yeah Sycomore is wonderful. When I wear it it feels like I have armour on. Feels so damn good.

And that's what good fragrances should do.

9. rach2jlc

very true! so glad to get you guys hooked. :)

Going out this Friday evening (Japan time) and need something good for after dark... s such, L'anarchiste (Caron) fits the bill nicely.

10. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think Annick Goutal's Vetyver has a salty quality, but I think it's kinda hard to find these days.

I scored a bottle of vintage Chanel for Men on ebay - I gather this is a US market bottling from the 80's? It's a nearly full 100 ml bottle. I think it might have turned slightly - it's a little sour and strange in the top notes, but it settles down pretty quickly. Very happy - I no longer have to coddle the decant I got from Thomas and I can start spraying it with impunity.

11. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ Nice score. Is that the same as Pour Monsieur? Does anyone know when they reformulated it? In the 90s? It's really great stuff, but I think I have a very recent sample.

+1 on Sycomore. Really great stuff.

12. L'Incandescent

L'Incandescent Senior member

ELdO Secretions Magnifiques today. I think this is the only fragrance I started out not liking very much, but came to appreciate over time. Now it's one of my favorites.

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's probably been reformulated a couple of times, but I believe it's pretty recent that the color turned to pale green (the older stuff is a deep golden color.) Yes, it is the same as Pour Monsieur. The new stuff is still pretty good but the vintage is stronger and mossier. I think oak moss is the key ingredient that was recent banned for use in the EU due to allergen regulations.

14. rach2jlc

I've wondered why (or if!) there was a "perfume lobby" in the EU to work against such a restriction. I mean, if you think about it, most of the great perfumes of world history had oakmoss, and this restriction has resulted in MOST of them being dull echoes of their former selves. Virtually the entire chypre category can't really exist without oakmoss, and Givenchy III, Chanel PM, Miss Dior, Mitsouko, blagh blagh blagh on down the list, are "okay" but rather dull now thanks to major shake-ups.

I have no idea how legal moves work in the EU, but with the tobacco lobby, oil lobby, farm lobby, etc., in the USA getting to do all sorts of bewildering things, you'd think a perfume lobby would fight tooth and nail against that.

Just my curiosity, because I always hear (with a hint of nostalgia/lament) about the "ban" but I never hear about what was done to prevent it. I mean, is oakmoss really THAT dangerous? ... or just some progressive European nanny-state law? (haha bringing CE into H&B)

EDIT: A few quick googlings brought up a coupla interesting articles/blog posts:
    http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/dawn-of-pink-chypres.html

http://perfumeshrine.fortunecity.com/blog/entry63.html

http://www.cropwatch.org/stephen.htm

http://www.theessenceofperfume.com/the-perfumers-association-bans-popular-perfumes

Edit 2: brief perusal/reading makes me think EU nanny-state.
    Edit 3: Okay, further reading is definitely nanny-state bullshit. Why do the Belgiums hate our fragrant freedomzzz?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow. Thanks guys. I'm continually impressed with teh knowledge of SFers. Speaking of the nanny-state... I remember going to some club in Santa Cruz that did not allow fragrance in case the one-in-a-million person was allergic. My mind was boggled.

Today was some vintage Givenchy Insensé... men's floral.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011