Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Dmax, Aug 22, 2007.

1. sjmin209

sjmin209 Senior member

Today: Diptyque L'Ombre Dans L'eau

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Geesh, is this "shadow" week in SOTD??? ;)

I had too much to drink last night and I'm not feeling a stinky powerhouse today. SO, light and easy with Prada Infusion d'iris.

3. willpower

willpower Senior member

I like the wet fur note. (Smells better than that sounds)

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guerlain Derby today.

5. rach2jlc

Hey, and just WHERE did you score that one? :lol: Good leather scent. I assume you've tried the other good leathers, too? Knize ten, cuir de russie (both chanel and creed!), and my secret fave... parfum d'empire cuir ottoman. it's like greasy horse saddle leather. haha Cuir mauresque (Lutens) is another that is quite good. Chanel no. 19 and tabac blond also have very unique, "clashing" leather notes, especially in the extraits/parfums.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. rach2jlc

Going out this evening with Balmain de Balmain.

Like "Monsieur Balmain," a wonderful, underrated, unknown scent available on the cheap. This one is the "night" equivalent for a Monsieur Balmain day scent. Not that they are at all similar, but only that this one could be a good alternative.

Spicy, chypre, a hint of fruit... very well balanced and with some slight leather/dark notes in the base that bring it out very well. For $25-30, it's outstanding. I think if you liked the plum or fruit note of Cuiron, you'd like this (even though this isn't as spicy/leathery as Cuiron.)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011

8. willpower

willpower Senior member

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Actually looking to start trying a few of the Acqua di Parmas. Recommendation to start off?

10. rach2jlc

YSL "Y" Parfum today. It's the very first YSL fragrance, from the 1960's, and mine is the old/vintage bottle with the bakelite top. It's another grand chypre... but it's much subtler than Miss Dior, Chanel no. 19, or Givenchy III.

Miss Dior has a bigger sort of sensuality, Givenchy III is slightly more floral, and Chanel no. 19 is much more green/earthy. This one is the quietest of the lot, but that doesn't mean its boring. It has all the hints in there, including civet (at least in the parfum concentration), so it's definitely not meek. It's just very quiet, and stays close to the skin. MUCH more personal than the others. I haven't tried the EdT to see how it compares, though.

Apprently the current reformulated version has lost most of the oakmoss and civet and has added citrus and vetiver, which given the "focus" of the parfum would be like adding a big smattering of ketchup to a fine steak. :( Though the parfum is hard to find, the EdT is very cheap online and so though I haven't tried it, even assuming it was just a shadow of its former self, it might be worth it.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Start with the original Colonia. Then, if that doesn't do it for you, move to the Intensa. I never really found any in the rest of the lineup that were anything spectacular.

Today - Dior Leather Oud from Giony. Not bad but I get that sort of inner thigh funk on the drydown.

12. hazelnice

hazelnice Member

Honey Suckle Belle of VS so fascinating for me!

13. rach2jlc

I don't keep up these days with stuff just coming out, unfortunately... but a brief perusal makes me wonder if LO and the others (Mitzah and half a dozen others) are sort of Dior's push to have a Chanel "Les Exclusifs?" exclusive packaging in BIG bottles, limited distribution, "classic" and semi-niche type scents, etc. How do they rate? Obviously, bois d'argent from back in the early 2000's is a personal fave... but Dior has been on my shit list the past 5 years or so for what they've been doing to their old stuff... rereleasing old classics totally reformulated and with super premium pricing... replacing key notes with cheaper alternatives or simply changing them altogether... Diorama, Diorella, diorissimo, etc. It's sort of like what Givenchy did back in 2000 or so when they rereleased "L'interdit" (one of the 'greats' of parfumery)... it wasn't reformulated... it was an entirely different fragrance. :(

Personally, instead of sinking all this time and effort into new $$$ stuff, I wish they'd just stop screwing with their old classics and put more effort into showing what made them so great.

The more I use my vintage stock and the more I read about all the rules, regulations, and changes over the past decade or so... the more it makes me amazed that Perfumers can't be sued or fined for False Advertising. They can put out this stuff at the same prices and advertising, while completely screwing around with the "innards."

While some minor tweaking is understandable (I mean, what if one year the Indian sandalwood crop is ruined by weather? Okay, so they have to switch to Xxyy sandalwood instead), but when you gut a fragrance or change it ENTIRELY without notice... that seems totally fishy. of course, they shoot themselves in the foot because nobody buys a second botttle of that garbage (like what happened to the new L'interdit), and instead of realizing that the altered garbage didn't sell, they assume the fragrance itself is a loss and so discontinue the whole thing. :(

What's fascinating about it? I'm curious only because I've never smelled it...

14. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

hmm, the original AdP is sort of a classic but ultra boring IMO. Then there's the Absoluta which some people love but I couldn't get into. the Intensa's nice, but you wouldn't be missing much if you didn't smell it. and then there's a rather extensive line of other AdP's (blue bottles), of which nobody ever seems to talk about so I'll assume they're not that interesting. The only other one I've tried is the Fico di Amalfi , a fig scent, which is nice but there are several others out there that are just as good... in short, nobody seems to talk much about the line so I have to assume it's not great. let us know if you find anything...

today, reworn shirt froma few days ago, can still smell the L'Ombre Dans L'eau (courtesy of Kevinsp8). Good stuff. My sample's going in the swap box, and I'll probably just go pick up a bottle at some point.

15. giony

giony Senior member

:D@Rambo, inner thigh funk could be an acquired taste.

Just tested Eau de Cologne and 28 La Pausa from Chanel's Les Exclusifs line, both are high quality composition and easy to wear unisex scents with terrible longevities, less than 90min. Unlike Dior La Collection which 8.4oz lineup is EdP, Les Exclusifs de Chanel is EdT, wth!