• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Vol de Nuit.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today is Sunday so i am wearing Sunday Cologne. Imaginative, eh? Today I found in an antique shop a near full 1940s bottle of Jean Patou L'Heure Attendue, in its original box. What do you think?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's awesome.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Today is Sunday so i am wearing Sunday Cologne. Imaginative, eh?

Today I found in an antique shop a near full 1940s bottle of Jean Patou L'Heure Attendue, in its original box. What do you think?

You seem to have amazing successes at the antique shops!

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Yohji Homme.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else tried Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur? If you like leather fragrances then you should give this one a try because it is one of the most "under the radar" leathers in existence. It starts out with a little spicy cumin, leather, and violet leaf. The cumin is not sweaty or New York taxicab, but adds texture in a way that you'd turn smooth leather into nubuck.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Tom Ford Black Orchid :inlove:

This **** is bonkers.

So, StephenHero, I remember that you mentioned that you were also getting a bottle of YSL La Nuit de l'Homme? What else have you tried or bought that you really like?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
not personally a violet fan so didn't like the Heeley myself. I think it's got that suede-y feeling like Daim Blond (without the apricots). I guess it's 'leather' but just not the way I'm used to thinking of it.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Bel Ami
SOTD: Back to Black.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

So, StephenHero, I remember that you mentioned that you were also getting a bottle of YSL La Nuit de l'Homme? What else have you tried or bought that you really like?

My taste is pretty middle brow. I simply don't have the cash to pony up for more exclusive stuff and I haven't gone out of my way to find them for testing. My favorites that I've tested are probably the following:

Tom Ford Black Orchid
YSL Rive Gauche
Chanel Pour Monsieur
YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
Acqua di Parma Bergomotto
Prada Amber Pour Homme Intenza
Armani Code
Dior Eau Savage
Hanae Mori HiM

I own a few that don't get much play that I regret buying: Mont Blanc Individuel, Ralph Lauren Safari, D&G The One, Encre Noir. My everyday cologne is Ralph Lauren Explorer, despite it being pretty boring. Rive Gauche is probably my second most used cologne. I was using Acqua di Parma Aranci a lot this summer, but put it away for fall.

Still trying to get my nose on some others:

Chanel Sycomore
Creed Millisimme Imperial & Bois du Portugal & Tabarome
Guerlain Vetiver
L'Instant De Guerlain

I'd like to get into the Givenchy, Tom Ford and Guerlain lines more but haven't really had access to them. I'm having a lot of fun with it though.

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night I sorted through my samples and put the autumn/winter ones away. So now I am getting into all those spring/summer samples I bought ages ago and have barely tried. First off is Vetiver Extraordinaire.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My taste is pretty middle brow.
I simply don't have the cash to pony up for more exclusive stuff and I haven't gone out of my way to find them for testing. My favorites that I've tested are probably the following:

Tom Ford Black Orchid
YSL Rive Gauche
Chanel Pour Monsieur
YSL La Nuit De L'Homme
Acqua di Parma Bergomotto
Prada Amber Pour Homme Intenza
Armani Code
Dior Eau Savage
Hanae Mori HiM

I own a few that don't get much play that I regret buying: Mont Blanc Individuel, Ralph Lauren Safari, D&G The One, Encre Noir. My everyday cologne is Ralph Lauren Explorer, despite it being pretty boring. Rive Gauche is probably my second most used cologne. I was using Acqua di Parma Aranci a lot this summer, but put it away for fall.

Still trying to get my nose on some others:

Chanel Sycomore
Creed Millisimme Imperial & Bois du Portugal & Tabarome
Guerlain Vetiver
L'Instant De Guerlain

I'd like to get into the Givenchy, Tom Ford and Guerlain lines more but haven't really had access to them. I'm having a lot of fun with it though.

You may not like the vetiver fragrances after trying for a while - a lot of people don't. Sycomore was the one that clicked for me and led me to appreciate them all, but I must say that the long-considered classic and benchmark vetiver by Guerlain is the one I probably like the least.

And for this winter, there are still many wonderful 80's colognes that are super cheap and worth a consideration or sniff:

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui
Caron Third Man
Antonio Puig Quorum - seriously.
Giorgio for Men

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: vintage Rochas Femme pdt
SOTD: Sahara Noir

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Amouage Fate for Men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads