• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never have smelled Jules, but that's definitely on my must-try list.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Went with GIT for the first time today. This may be blasphemy but I'm not totally sold on it...

The SA must have forgotten to tell you that it was made for Cary Grant. Now I'm sure you're sold on it!

I have switched into S-ex for the evening. (That is the name of the perfume, in case it's unclear what I'm talking about.)

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's pretty full-on in the opening. Reminded me of the sorts of scents I used to wear to discos in the 70s; big and leathery. It settles down into a sort of spicy cedar that I quite
Iike.

I'm told it's hard to find. I got mine for $5 in a op shop and I've never seen it elsewhere. I guess somebody didn't like it.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's pretty full-on in the opening. Reminded me of the sorts of scents I used to wear to discos in the 70s; big and leathery. It settles down into a sort of spicy cedar that I quite
Iike.

I'm told it's hard to find. I got mine for $5 in a op shop and I've never seen it elsewhere. I guess somebody didn't like it.

Sounds like something I would like considering that I love Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui and Giorgio for Men. I also love the story behind it and its name. Is yours vintage?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see a lot of scents here described as vintage where I'm not sure the distinction is meaningful. Jules, I believe, isn't available in a neutered version. It's just hard to find in general.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I see a lot of scents here described as vintage where I'm not sure the distinction is meaningful. Jules, I believe, isn't available in a neutered version. It's just hard to find in general.

Hmm, I'm trying to find meaning in "neutered version".

As far as "vintage", I have smelled the current Giorgio and it is different than the one manufactured in 1985 - you'd agree with that, at least on the fact that regulations dictate composition, right?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, of course. It just seems like I'm hearing more and more scents described as "vintage" in this thread and many of them are scents that I don't think were ever reformulated. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that scents are reformulated all the time for a variety of reasons, but only sometimes does that really make a big difference. Jules is very niche and hard to find in general, I don't think there is a "new" version that is al that different than the original. I could be wrong, obviously.

Last edited:

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pre-shower: Terrasse a St. Germain by Jul et Mad. (It is the vintage formulation, which debuted in 2012.) I like this one very much; I can definitely see it becoming a regular in my rotation.

SOTD: Fracas by Piguet.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, of course. It just seems like I'm hearing more and more scents described as "vintage" in this thread and many of them are scents that I don't think were ever reformulated. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that scents are reformulated all the time for a variety of reasons, but only sometimes does that really make a big difference. Jules is very niche and hard to find in general, I don't think there is a "new" version that is al that different than the original. I could be wrong, obviously.

The reason I asked about Jules was because the bottles differ from its original packaging versus today. That means nothing in regards to what's inside, but I guess I have this hang-up about what a fragrance smells like in how it was originally intended. That's just a personal thing, though, and can obviously lead to results that are in the end worse than the fragrance that is made today because of bad storage conditions, or whatever.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Today: Amouage Interlude Man - I've really dug this the past few times I've worn it. And my wife likes it!! I sprayed in on my ankles, under my socks, so I could appreciate the teased-apart facets a little better.

Maquis

Reaction score
Today: YSL Jazz (I think it was you, Baron, that got me to check this fougere out. Or maybe it was HORNS? Damn, these internet names can get confusing....)
:embar:

Well, I like it but don't love it (yet). There's something that I find a little disconcerting here. My wife said it smelled "Kouros-y". I don't think it does, especially—I get Egoiste, more—but I do get the slight unwashed body/hair/urinous note that I think she was referring to. I'm intrigued, so I plan on wearing this some more, just to explore it a little....

My two cents on the vintage thing:
I do think that the vintage moniker is a useful distinction when it comes to fragrances which have—as a primary ingredient—substances that have been banned or drastically reduced. Things like oakmoss & treemoss absolute, styrax, coumarin/tonka, bergamot, lemon & lime oils, verbena absolute, jasmine, eugenol, opopanax, and others are structural to certain perfumes. I know that reformulations on the sly have always occurred—probably to save money or because some complicated deLaire base or something was no longer available—but these most likely haven't changed the *essential* nature of the fragrance. (Even something like an older 80s/90s version of Azzaro Pour Homme is noticeably different from the juice I picked up two years ago...)There are others in this thread who are more knowledgable on the specifics than I am, but from what I understand companies are scrambling to adhere to IFRA regulations, with perhaps some of the most drastic (or at least far-reaching) regulations occurring in the last three years. Perhaps because I'm drawn to "classic" fragrances, many of which are still available—and obviously reformulated—I've noticed this?

I'm willing to concede that I haven't been in the perfume game for as long as many of you. Perhaps I just haven't seen the trajectory play out over more years, and would thus be less alarmed? In any case, my feeling is that the changes brought by IFRA compliance, especially the most recent ones, seem reason enough to identify whether something is vintage or not...

/soapbox

Last edited:

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like something I would like considering that I love Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui and Giorgio for Men. I also love the story behind it and its name. Is yours vintage?

I don't think you can get it anywhere but vintage. I was told Dior discontinued it in 1983. I bought an opened bottle at an opportunity shop (or thrift shop).

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, I only use vintage as shorthand for "if you buy it today it won't smell the same as what I have" Which can probably hold true for scents that are even just 5 years old, but really rings true for Antaeus, PM, Guerlain Vetiver, maybe a couple of others in the herd.

Re: reformulations, as Baron noted scents get reformulated all the time or various reasons, but sometimes the changes are drastic: Antaeus in the mid-90s for instance. That's the defining point for me: an obvious watering-down. So when I say vintage Antaeus, I mean 80's stock. I tried the current product a few years back and thought it a terrible travesty. When the current stocks run out (which will probably be around 2045) I won't replenish unless beeswax absolute suddenly gets cheaper and the IFRA is a distant memory and chanel had the good sense to reintroduce the original formula (but I wouldn't hold my breath on that).

BTW: HORNS I went to House of Coffee Beans today. Lovely place, great coffee. Thanks for the rec.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BTW: HORNS I went to House of Coffee Beans today. Lovely place, great coffee. Thanks for the rec.

:slayer::slayer::slayer: It's been so long that I've been pushing this place to EVERYONE I KNOW!!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads